Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

wasn't there guns in Shogun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

My logitech g500 died on me the last night. :( Went and ordered a deathadder, hopefully get it before the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Skerries wrote: »
    wasn't there guns in Shogun?

Yeah but they were pretty inaccurate and would get destroyed by any melee unit.

My logitech g500 died on me the last night. :( Went and ordered a deathadder, hopefully get it before the weekend.

shame, I have that mouse
    I don't know if I would be able to change to a different shape as I had the MX518 before this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

shame, I have that mouse
    I don't know if I would be able to change to a different shape as I had the MX518 before this

Yeah I'm a bit worried about getting used to it but it shouldnt take too long. G500 is a fantastic mouse but it was on its way out for a while. Wire got all messed up and completely gave in, hope the new one arrives before the weekend :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Any suggestions for a new wireless mouse? A gaming mouse isn't needed. Currently just have a HP one that came with my PC and the left button is vexed. I just use it on a mousemat on the sofa since I use my tv as my monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Anyone rocking a k95 or 70 keyboard? Need to spend money and these seem like a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Well we know feck all about it thus far, so is it a TW game set in the WH or WH40k universe?

Is it WH:TW or just a new title by CA and Sega and not part of the TW series?

From the leaks it's part of the main series and is WH.

Rather relic stick to the 40k stuff, their games suit the table top mechanics a bit more for 40k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

need a new monitor, any opinions guys? under 250 if i can thinking something like an AOC G2460PQU, for a new rig running gtx970

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

cadete wrote: »
    need a new monitor, any opinions guys? under 250 if i can thinking something like an AOC G2460PQU, for a new rig running gtx970

AOC Monitor

I have this myself and I like it a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

cadete wrote: »

depends what type of games you play .

if its mainly FPS you should get one with a high refresh rate it makes a fairly big difference in fairness if you have it mated to a decent graphics card.

if its mainly slow moving games you play like rpg or RTS an IPS monitor look way nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭eastyy

i got a g2460PG which is the one with g-sync . Picture quality is ok nothing special i thought though few days before i tried a ips monitor which was awesome though did not play any games on it. But on the g2460PG i was really expecting more with picture quality. The 144hz is pretty cool i really hate screen tearing and stutter so it helps a lot for that. In the end i wish i went for the cheaper g2460pqu g-sync is ok but not worth the money plus to have a g-sync you only have the one port (display port to)

i use a 970 to if you have a decent processor should be ok with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Yeah but they were pretty inaccurate and would get destroyed by any melee unit.

I guess I should have phrased that better.

Empire Total War was the first TW game to be built around the use of firearms. It worked out OK I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Someone please give me a heads up on what I may be getting into by downloading Star Citizen..

Overheal wrote: »
    Someone please give me a heads up on what I may be getting into by downloading Star Citizen..

To be honest there is very little there at the moment and thought there is not much for the amount of space it took up on my hardrive you can have a look in and out of the ship in a hanger and there is the arena module which you can take a ship out for combat in practice and multiplayer there are variations in that though

it is supposed to be 100gb with a 20 gb patch afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

it is supposed to be 100gb with a 20 gb patch afterwards

I'll set it downloading so my grandkids can play it

i hope it has the streaming feature that you can play the game while it is downloading

For a few of the people trying out the 20gb teaser this weekend would probably spend most of the weekend downloading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

playing FTL obsessively the last few weeks. what a game! so hard though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have to say it's fecking awesome that Outlaws is available again. Thank you GoG and Lucasarts/Disney! There's been some old school gems unearthed recently such as Tron 2.0. Hoping the licensing issues get sorted for a AvP2 release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well just came across my first few games in a fake server. The quick xp in title should have told me. I was running around looking for enemies and could never see any only every so often. Took me a while till I copped it.

I was in a server with a cheater once, he must have been using god mode or something, should have left sooner he kept killing me. I seen him flying at one point.

Joys of PC gaming I suppose.

Does any one know if steam would send out a burned disc with the game file on it. As I'm dreading downloading GTA V 65GB. I don't know what I wqas thinking pre-ordering it a few weeks ago. I left my computer on last night to download a game 14GB and it's still not downloaded. My speed is 200.2 KB/S (I'm screwed should have got a hard copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Steam wouldn't, but someone with a fast connection probably could do it for you. I've never done it between accounts, but between computers you copy the game folder from one C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common to the other, open Steam and choose install. It'll check what files are needed (if any) and install the missing ones.

Also, a portable HDD would be better than 15 DVDs :) 65GB :eek: I think I'll be waiting on GTA V a while longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Does any one know if steam would send out a burned disc with the game file on it. As I'm dreading downloading GTA V 65GB. I don't know what I wqas thinking pre-ordering it a few weeks ago. I left my computer on last night to download a game 14GB and it's still not downloaded. My speed is 200.2 KB/S (I'm screwed should have got a hard copy.

They won't.

You are looking at about 75 hours download time =/

bring your tower to the nearest internet cafe, hook it up, tell them what its for and pay them for the time.

Save yourself at least 73 hours.

Steam Controller to cost $49.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Think I'll stick to Xbox controllers then

I wonder how those track pads work. I use a Xbox One controller and Friday night I went to play a Xbox 360 game I couldn't believe how bad the analog sticks felt on that controller compared to the Xbox One. I don't mean how the controls felt it was how sticky and slippery compared to Xbox One, the Xbox one has a raised surface around the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

My dualshock 3 died for absolutely no reason about a month back so I've been using my sister's one which works out well since she seldom plays her PS3 anymore. I don't feel like I even need to buy another controller until maybe Tekken 7 comes around if it gets a PC release. Which is making me wonder how viable these steam controllers might be for fighters. They could be on par with traditional console controllers... but maybe the sliding ability of one's thumbs on the trackpad opens up a slight but unique way to control a FG like Tekken. Would absolutely love to try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I doubt that it's optimised for fighting games. I think it's meant to be a compromise between keyboard+mouse and a normal controller. They came up with it while developing Steam Machines, SteamOS and Steam Big Picture for playing games from your couch on a big TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's not optimised for fighting games obviously but that doesn't mean it couldn't have huge potential as a FG controller. Ultimately it doesn't matter what it's made for but what users find it useful for. Just like a fighting arcade stick isn't entirely better than a control pad it does have certain advantages that could be argued for that may fit a user's style or just their preference. It might be a similar case with the steam controller.

I mean the most physically advantageous controller for FG is a hitbox because it's able to press the forward and back buttons at the same time (impossible on traditional console controllers and arcade sticks). From the look of the design, the steam controller has this ability, too. That alone is worth considering let alone the ability to seamlessly move one's thumbs around the attack and movement buttons/virtual sticks without any liftting (and therefore delay) of the their thumb. Arcade sticks have that advantage in movement but this steam controller might have it for the attack buttons, too. It might obscure the definition between a button and a stick.

But it's all just me speculating. More than anything I just want to get my hands on it for a few hours with Tekken and really see how it holds up.

I took a gamble on this Kickstarter controller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

It's not optimised for fighting games obviously but that doesn't mean it couldn't have huge potential as a FG controller.

Yeah you're right, it could be great for all we know. It does have haptic feedback on those pads so it can be configured to feel like you are using a stick, wheel, buttons whatever so that might be an advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I took a gamble on this Kickstarter controller

Looks interesting. Not really one for backing kickstarters though. Would much rather wait for production release.
    Any word on cost on release? £69 if kickstarter is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

This looks like it will be a lot of fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Um, I was always under the impression there was a Steam Easter sale. Was that ever the case? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

had a go of baldur's gate 2 for the first time. couldn't get into it at all, graphics well and truly dated. not a fan of saving a game every minute either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

froog wrote: »
    had a go of baldur's gate 2 for the first time. couldn't get into it at all, graphics well and truly dated. not a fan of saving a game every minute either.

BLASPHEMY!!

Seriously though, it is 15 years old, built in an engine that is 17 years old. It is a bit dated, but it's still the best example of an isometric rpg. And with some mods (or the enhanced edition) it's absolutely playable. You do have to like that style of game though.

Plus, Irenicus is an excellent villian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Diablo 2 is still fine looking at 15 years old. Isometric titles usually stand the test of time, unlike anything 3D...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

froog wrote: »

Honestly don't think the gfx are THAT bad... For me it's a game that sits on my netbook so when I go travel/out of town I have a game that runs flawlessly on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Any recall the name of that Chome add-on that would compare Steam prices with those around the web?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kiith wrote: »
    BLASPHEMY!!

Seriously though, it is 15 years old, built in an engine that is 17 years old. It is a bit dated, but it's still the best example of an isometric rpg. And with some mods (or the enhanced edition) it's absolutely playable. You do have to like that style of game though.

Plus, Irenicus is an excellent villian.

Now picture someone who doesn't know what AD&D is and is used to having their hand held play that game. ;)

I'm really not surprised the younger generation have a bit of a shock when they first start playing it. It's quite heavy on the mechanics and doesn't explain them well or at all in some places, and very unforgiving combined with old fashioned controls and graphics.

Still love it though. :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone want to swap a Logitech G600 MMO mouse for a normal mouse, its a great mouse plenty of DPI settings but its not for me. Wife got it for me for Xmas.

I prefer MX518 type mice with like 5 buttons not the 57 that are on this thing.

http://www.engadget.com/products/logitech/g600/

really good reviews on it if you play MMOs (which i actually have never played and have no intention of playing)
    Shiminay wrote: »

* Showing you how much money you've spent on Steam for the lifetime of your account

Pretty sure I never want to see that ever :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Good news if you are a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan, GOG have made all three games DRM free. Works perfectly, just redeemed boxed versions of Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky & Call of Pripyat. All you need is the original CD key.

Had a corsair k70 cherry red delivered today. If I could speak French, I would whisper French obscenities into its USB pass through.

A thing of beauty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Had a corsair k70 cherry red delivered today. If I could speak French, I would whisper French obscenities into its USB pass through.

A thing of beauty

What's so great about mechanical keyboards? I have a Logitech gaming keyboard which seems perfectly fine. Doesn't the mechanical one sound like a typewriter when you hit the keys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Sucks about the Origin code. I hate Origin. Enough Steam games to make me want to go for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Doesn't the mechanical one sound like a typewriter when you hit the keys?

Nearly.

They feel great to type on though. Going back to a rubber dome keyboard is like typing on a sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

d31b0y wrote: »
    Sucks about the Origin code. I hate Origin. Enough Steam games to make me want to go for it though.
    Not to derail things, but what's so bad about Origin? I get it doesn't have as many integrated features as Steam , but it works pretty good for what it is. Far better than UbiSofts thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement