Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Fifa 15 is actually pretty good, at least in co-op. Haven't played PES in a few years though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm no soccer fan, but FIFA has been consistently brilliant for a "couch game" for someone with my filthy casual status of play for the last number of years. I've never done the online, no interest whatsoever cause I'd get blapped all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Shim, whats the Comeonbanus and dark and deviant forums that i don't have access to?? Secret clubs that we have to hack to get in to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Shim, whats the Comeonbanus and dark and deviant forums that i don't have access to?? Secret clubs that we have to hack to get in to?

I had no idea what you were on about at first and then I seen it. I'd say if you were a subscriber you would have access and mods probably do as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

He could tell you, but then he'd have to ban you...

• Advertisement

I had no idea what you were on about at first and then I seen it. I'd say if you were a subscriber you would have access and mods probably do as well.

I like the sound of dark and deviant. Like something out of the TV show The Following with Kevin Bacon tracking down a cult of serial killers.

Star Lord wrote: »
    He could tell you, but then he'd have to ban you...

You can take my boards, but you'll never take my freeedom!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

They're off-shoots of the Nonya forum which is a sub of the Business forum... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Nope, mods don't get automatic access to all of those forums - afaik you have to request it, same as everyone else

it's just the subscriber stuff we get access to like first class lounge etc..

.. and mod powars, like chromed titanium exoskeletons, x-ray vision, the ability to set pants on fire when people lie, i've never gotten that last one to work properly, and x-ray vision is disgusting tbh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

x-ray vision is disgusting tbh

It is useful though, I saved my friend €100 on an A&E bill with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Shim, whats the Comeonbanus

You haven't heard about the Knights of Comeonbanus? Sir hasn't studied early boards.ie history enough then!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53979

I don't know if that poster was taking the piss or what in that thread I posted a link to.

edit: I just read the thread and it is actually come on ban us.

I had to read that thread to figure that out, that's how dumb I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i must have a dirty mind then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53979

I don't know if that poster was taking the piss or what in that thread I posted a link to.

edit: I just read the thread and it is actually come on ban us.

I had to read that thread to figure that out, that's how dumb I am.

The joke was old and worn out years before almost everyone replying to you joined. Really not something to worry about not getting. :)

Kept reading it as come on anus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Kept reading it as come on anus

05d.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I hope they come out soon..

I've money ready to buy a 970 but don't want to buy incase they drop in price or if AMD's new line end up blowing it out the water.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I hope they come out soon..

I've money ready to buy a 970 but don't want to buy incase they drop in price or if AMD's new line end up blowing it out the water.

Well the should be out this month or next. General availability could take a while longer and there may be supply constraints early on pushing up the prices. Hopefully not and it's a quick launch with lots of supply.

Damn just bought a R9 290.

• Advertisement

Damn just bought a R9 290.

While it might drop in price a bit, you still have a fantastic card that will last a few years.

If anyone wants a few games of FIFA online let me know, I've no friends online who play on the PC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

official specs for the R9 360, 370 and 380

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/oem#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Skerries wrote: »
    official specs for the R9 360, 370 and 380

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/oem#

Well they look incredibly ****.

These are the OEM cards, which won't be the same spec as the full releases (or so reddit tells me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Even so, it suggest that they're releasing 1 new chip?

Seems like a poor showing.

Why not just continue with the 200 series until they can develop HBM versions?

Hopefully this will just be a very short generation, with a complete range of HBM cards coming out next year some time.

Your AMD options will be a €700ish card and then nothing all the way down to about €200.

AMD Website really lacks imagination, it's like looking at a text book.

AMD Website really lacks imagination, it's like looking at a text book.

I'd say they were going for the showing information rather than bright graphics like some of the vendors do on their websites.

I'd say they were going for the showing information rather than bright graphics like some of the vendors do on their websites.

I actually think it would benefit from some images rather than a wall of text. I didn't even read it as its an eye sore.

They must not have a marketing team. Or software development team for that matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So with these cards being announced, do you think we can expect price drops on others? Or is that wishful thinking?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So with these cards being announced, do you think we can expect price drops on others? Or is that wishful thinking?

Thats what i'm hoping for.
    But i don't want to wait too long.

I'm honestly starting to feel like the price wouldn't drop significantly enough for me to wait to buy a 970.

...Especially when I can get The Witcher 3 & Batman for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The 2nd hand market will take a nose as a lot more r9 290(x)s will come on the market.

Right now a r9 290 can be bought for 170-200 (reference and HOT).

By July/Aug, i reckon you'll get a decent cooler version for about that. Some sapphire tri-x cards have been scooped up for 200!

I'm interested in what the retail 380x will look like performance and price wise. (Probably rehashed 290x with added features). Will either pick one of them up or a 290/x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Skerries wrote: »
    I can throw out my bed at last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ok, serious question where can I buy that chair? How much will I need to budget for? Honestly, that's more appealing to me than most other luxury things I can think of.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I think I found it:
    http://www.mwelab.com/index.php/en/products

Not on their product page but showed up in google search:
    http://www.mwelab.com/index.php/en/products/emperor-200 (yikes)

These ones are more well known:
    https://www.obutto.eu/

If you are on a budget then there is this classic:
    http://i.imgur.com/MBmUaMv.jpg

Turned on DayZ today and noticed i was getting a weird black lines across my screen.

They started popping up after about 30+mins of playing. They would change depending on the direction i was looking. Had the same thing in Mount and Blade and Rome 2.

Any idea what it is?

Pic - Screen pic 1.jpg
    Screen pic 2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Turned on DayZ today and noticed i was getting a weird black lines across my screen.

They started popping up after about 30+mins of playing. They would change depending on the direction i was looking. Had the same thing in Mount and Blade and Rome 2.

Any idea what it is?

Pic - Screen pic 1.jpg
    Screen pic 2.jpg
    Did the kids walk into the room before those lines appeared?? :p

Any idea what it is?

Pic - Screen pic 1.jpg
    Screen pic 2.jpg

Could be a graphics card problem. Do you have access to a spare graphics card to test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Any idea what it is?

Pic - Screen pic 1.jpg
    Screen pic 2.jpg
    Any idea what temps your card is getting up to? Could be overheating causing some artifacting.

• Advertisement

That's not an image i ever like seeing. It was the first sign of gpu failure on two of my cards back in the day.

Any idea what temps your card is getting up to? Could be overheating causing some artifacting.

Well i'm running a 2gb 6970. Normally hitting about 60-75.
    Kiith wrote: »
    That's not an image i ever like seeing. It was the first sign of gpu failure on two of my cards back in the day.

I'm planning on picking up a 970 in the next few weeks so its not the end of the world if it is. I was more worried that it might be CPU based.

Could be a graphics card problem. Do you have access to a spare graphics card to test?

Unfortunately i don't.

Weirdly it'd go back to normal when i hit f12 and take a screenshot... Then pop back a few seconds later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Like you, I'm also in the "want to buy 970" camp. Don't see the price dropping anytime soon, I held out all before Christmas and new year for the supposed "Sales" and nothing was reduced.

Maybe this distortion in Dayz is the universe telling you to buy that 970 ;)

I've a R9 270x myself, and was going to go for the 970, although I see the Price of the R9 290 looks to be down around €180-200 in places which is substantially cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

TheDoc wrote: »
    Like you, I'm also in the "want to buy 970" camp. Don't see the price dropping anytime soon, I held out all before Christmas and new year for the supposed "Sales" and nothing was reduced.

Maybe this distortion in Dayz is the universe telling you to buy that 970 ;)

I've a R9 270x myself, and was going to go for the 970, although I see the Price of the R9 290 looks to be down around €180-200 in places which is substantially cheaper.

Have you get a link for the 290's at that price? Lot closer to €300 last i checked. Id pick one up for that price though

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

I've had my new system about a week now. It's great to be home playing on a proper PC after having to deal with laptops for years because of college.

i7 4790K
    GTX 970
    8GB RAM (will go to 16 around Christmas I think)
    240GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    24-inch ASUS screen
    Logitech G402 /w SteelSeries QCK Mass (still miss my MX518 though, died last year after 10 years service) and SteelSeries Apex (was meant to be RAW, Amazon shipped the one with all the fancy colours and told me to keep it when I told them, you can't beat that).

The brilliant folks at PC Building & Upgrading were a massive help.

I also got my free copies of Witcher III and Arkham Knight from the Nvidia offer today, so other than hopefully getting GTAV and whatever looks tempting (spoiler: EVERYTHING, I've got a problem) in the Steam Summer Sale I'm set for the next while. I've built up a stupidly big library across Steam, Origin, Battle.net (still playing the Hearthstone!) and GOG, time to put it to work. Playing a bit of everything at the moment, but mostly Shadow of Mordor and Heroes of the Storm.

I've had my new system about a week now. It's great to be home playing on a proper PC after having to deal with laptops for years because of college.

i7 4790K
    GTX 970
    8GB RAM (will go to 16 around Christmas I think)
    240GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    24-inch ASUS screen
    Logitech G402 /w SteelSeries QCK Mass (still miss my MX518 though, died last year after 10 years service) and SteelSeries Apex (was meant to be RAW, Amazon shipped the one with all the fancy colours and told me to keep it when I told them, you can't beat that).

The brilliant folks at PC Building & Upgrading were a massive help.

I also got my free copies of Witcher III and Arkham Knight from the Nvidia offer today, so other than hopefully getting GTAV and whatever looks tempting (spoiler: EVERYTHING, I've got a problem) in the Steam Summer Sale I'm set for the next while. I've built up a stupidly big library across Steam, Origin, Battle.net (still playing the Hearthstone!) and GOG, time to put it to work. Playing a bit of everything at the moment, but mostly Shadow of Mordor and Heroes of the Storm.

Are you me? I pretty much put together the same build last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

EoinHef wrote: »
    Have you get a link for the 290's at that price? Lot closer to €300 last i checked. Id pick one up for that price though
    The 2nd hand market is at that price anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Taylor365 wrote: »
    The 2nd hand market is at that price anyway.

Havent seen any at that price second hand either,thats why id definitely buy one at that price. Might pick up a reference model near that price point but as bad as the cooler is on the reference its really not worth it imo

A 290 with a decent cooler is a good buy sub €300 atm,at €200 it would be an absolute bargain

• Advertisement
Advertisement