Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Been looking to upgrade to a 290 myself. Might hold off and keep using the laptop for a bit and see if the price drops.

Last 2 months have been a pain in the ass. First my SSD crapped out on me. Replaced it with a filthy regular HDD to get me by while I shop around for one. Now the HDD has died too. So i'm relegated to using my laptop for now. (which has a much better GPU I've realized and now I want to just upgrade everything on my main machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Korvanica wrote: »
    Been looking to upgrade to a 290 myself. Might hold off and keep using the laptop for a bit and see if the price drops.

Last 2 months have been a pain in the ass. First my SSD crapped out on me. Replaced it with a filthy regular HDD to get me by while I shop around for one. Now the HDD has died too. So i'm relegated to using my laptop for now. (which has a much better GPU I've realized and now I want to just upgrade everything on my main machine.

Choppy play in arma 3 makes me wanna upgrade cpu asap will play ok on standard but any higher settings and the quad core starts shaking like nobody's business lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You never forget that game that makes you realise you need an upgrade. I'm looking at you Max Payne 2 :mad:

Kiith wrote: »
    You never forget that game that makes you realise you need an upgrade. I'm looking at you Max Payne 2 :mad:
    its an fx4100 upgrading to an fx8350 hopefully that will see me right

Anyone have a spreadsheet (or a link to one) of multiplayer pc games ? Me and some mates are currently compiling a list. (For a LAN)

If not do you wanna help with said list :D - if you're bored that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

A LAN could be a good way to try local multiplayer games (single screen) like nidhogg, gang beasts and speed-runners.

You could make a public spreadsheet on Google drive and have two sheets in the workbook. Protect the main sheet by right clicking on its tab and leave the other sheet shared for other people to add entries that you can vet and then add to the main sheet. There are fancier ways of doing it using Google Forms to allow people to submit suggestions I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

EoinHef wrote: »
    Havent seen any at that price second hand either,thats why id definitely buy one at that price. Might pick up a reference model near that price point but as bad as the cooler is on the reference its really not worth it imo

A 290 with a decent cooler is a good buy sub €300 atm,at €200 it would be an absolute bargain
    Have to dive deep on ebay to find em:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281667881588?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Give it 2 months and it'll be buyers market for 290s.

Price i'd pay for ref model:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301596041220?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Korvanica wrote: »
    Anyone have a spreadsheet (or a link to one) of multiplayer pc games ? Me and some mates are currently compiling a list. (For a LAN)

If not do you wanna help with said list :D - if you're bored that is

I won't be helping you with the list but I'm currently playing Killing Floor 6 player co-op and its alot of fun. Lan would be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

What do you guys thin a 290 will go for second hand in a few months and is it considered OK to buy a second hand gpu now that bit coin mining has more or less stopped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

ive got a 290x

does the job i want it to do

with the 300 series coming out i might actually look at picking up a second one on the cheap

A LAN could be a good way to try local multiplayer games (single screen) like nidhogg, gang beasts and speed-runners.

You could make a public spreadsheet on Google drive and have two sheets in the workbook. Protect the main sheet by right clicking on its tab and leave the other sheet shared for other people to add entries that you can vet and then add to the main sheet. There are fancier ways of doing it using Google Forms to allow people to submit suggestions I think.

Cheers,

Made a suggestion form.

Will make the list public when its more comprehensive and organised. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What do you guys thin a 290 will go for second hand in a few months and is it considered OK to buy a second hand gpu now that bit coin mining gas more or keys stopped?

It's impossible to say. It all depends on how competitive the 300 series is on both performance and cost and how nVidia responds to it. I'd definitely wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

lads looking to get a controller for the PC, was looking at the xb1 controller but crazy prices. Any decent controllers going for about 30?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Nolars wrote: »
    lads looking to get a controller for the PC, was looking at the xb1 controller but crazy prices. Any decent controllers going for about 30?

The 360 controller works well. About £25 on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

What do you guys thin a 290 will go for second hand in a few months and is it considered OK to buy a second hand gpu now that bit coin mining has more or less stopped?
    After summer, i'd say 2nd hand prices will be around 150-200 for all models (except vapours).

I've been watching them for last 2-3 months. Usually, they sell for 250-300.

Stay away from reference and DirectCu cooled cards. They have worse performance/heat.

Currently, you can pick up a Sapphire tri-x brand new for 300.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/4096+MB/214273/Sapphire+Radeon+R9+290+Tri-X+OC+%28New+Edition%29%2C+4GB+GDDR5%2C+2x+DVI%2C+HDMI%2C+DisplayPort%2C+lite+retail.article

I'll be waiting until July unless i pick up a 2nd hand saph for 200 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Yeah a 360 wired works straight out of the box. I also use a DS4 with inputmapper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

abbir wrote: »
    The 360 controller works well. About £25 on amazon.

I have a xbox one controller and a xbox 360 controller and after using the xbox one controller it is hard to go back. Xbox one is worth the extra price.

I have a xbox one controller and a xbox 360 controller and after using the xbox one controller it is hard to go back. Xbox one is worth the extra price.

Until it works wirelessly, it would be useless to me.

Dunno if the ps4 will ever work wireless but if it does, what options do I have regarding Bluetooth? My current move doesn't have Bluetooth but I have a z97 which does, I'm just waiting to upgrade the processor but don't know how long that will be(damned mortgage) so can I get a Bluetooth card?

I want to avoid taking up USB ports as they are becoming scarse on my case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Dunno if the ps4 will ever work wireless but if it does, what options do I have regarding Bluetooth? My current move doesn't have Bluetooth but I have a z97 which does, I'm just waiting to upgrade the processor but don't know how long that will be(damned mortgage) so can I get a Bluetooth card?

I want to avoid taking up USB ports as they are becoming SCARCE on my case!

One of my pet peeves.

Geizhals only lists one but you'd be grand getting one off dabs or amazon I'd say, they're fairly cheap for PCI ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have a CM storm case and X99 board, absolute stupiud amount of USB ports I will never own that many items.

/stands up looks at case

16 USB ports

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Have a CM storm case and X99 board, absolute stupiud amount of USB ports I will never own that many items.

/stands up looks at case

16 USB ports

Lucky bastard!

Mouse = 1 port
    Keyboard = 2 ports
    Webcam = 1 port
    Headset = 1 port
    Speakers = 1 port
    USB to micro USB = 1 port

Thats all at the back, leaving me a 2.0 and 3.0 at front and I will die before taking them up permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How does the keyboard use 2 ports?

Think it's to power the keyboard and second is for inputs. Not so sure. It's a k70. Must say it's top notch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If the k70 the second USB is for input. :)

Turtwig wrote: »
    If the k70 the second USB is for input. :)

Here's me being extra lazy, does that mean if i unplug the USB for the LEd's, the keyboard will still work?

I could reach under and try now but i have work tomorrow so need to relax now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Is anyone finding themselves buying fewer games since Steam moved to "All Sales, All the Time!" approach? I feel like I used to splurge a lot more in the old Sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Here's me being extra lazy, does that mean if i unplug the USB for the LEd's, the keyboard will still work?

I could reach under and try now but i have work tomorrow so need to relax now

I don't know. Never actually tried it. Do you have customisable rainbow k70 where you can have the keys any colour you want or just the general k70 vengeance?

Just the poor mans one. The customizable one is an extra 50 euro man, no way im spending 50 euro to make my keyboard light up different colours.

Regret not getting it now that i think of it, you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The manual (pdf) says the pass-through USB is optional:
    Note: Only the USB Connection Cable is required for keyboard use. The optional USB pass thru cable enables
    the USB port on the keyboard.
    So, if you never use the pass-through port on the back of your keyboard, you can free up the slot for other use. Or just plug in a Bluetooth dongle when you want to use the PS4 controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There you go, just freed up another USB port for you just by asking "Why?". :p

Though was just curious since I have a wireless keyboard and mouse working off a dongle, so both only use one USB port between them.
    nesf wrote: »
    Is anyone finding themselves buying fewer games since Steam moved to "All Sales, All the Time!" approach? I feel like I used to splurge a lot more in the old Sales.

Could also be due to the fact that running out of games to buy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Even the last few regular sales, i barely bought anything. Having almost all the older games i want, and the rise in key sites, Steam sales just don't have the wow factor they used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

dreamers75 wrote: »
    You need to get yourself a screen calibrator and more webcams, maybe a remote control and bluetooth dongle. You can't have free USB ports open to the world. I'm pretty sure that's how computers get sick from viruses, at the very least you should put plasters over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

screen calibrator

wat dis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

So i bought Xenonauts (an original xcom clone) last night, it was pricey for what it is, but it's pretty decent :)

Skerries wrote: »
    screen calibrator

wat dis?
    It calibrates the monitors colour range, brightness and contrast to a set standard. So if you're making graphics for print what you see on screen will be the same as how it would come off a calibrated printer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

TheDoc wrote: »
    Like you, I'm also in the "want to buy 970" camp. Don't see the price dropping anytime soon, I held out all before Christmas and new year for the supposed "Sales" and nothing was reduced.

Maybe this distortion in Dayz is the universe telling you to buy that 970 ;)

I've a R9 270x myself, and was going to go for the 970, although I see the Price of the R9 290 looks to be down around €180-200 in places which is substantially cheaper.

Was lookng for this thread, thought it was on the PC forum, sorry for delay.

I totally misread what I was looking at, sorry for the false alarm, was not €180-200.

I supressed my urge for a 970 and will see how things go in the coming months. A R9 290 appears to be somewhat the same, albeit just AMD, but as usual seems cheaper then GT970 (still going €340+)

If they do fall into the €200-250 bracket around summer will snap one up. While my 270x is doing ok, I'd like for once in my life to own a GPU that blows my games away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

So i bought Xenonauts (an original xcom clone) last night, it was pricey for what it is, but it's pretty decent :)

I made the mistake of playing it long before the new Xcom. It was exactly what I wanted - a graphically updated X-Com with some extra bells and whistles, here and there. Unfortunately that just further highlighted what the new Xcom wasn't and as such, I've not been able to get into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I can see why

I love them both, for different reasons, although the storylines are almost identical they play like completely different games.

Xenonauts has so much more fine details, especially with base/troops/scientists/engineers/equipment/research micromanagement where Xcom has fantastic ground combat and simplified base management.

Thats not saying the ground combat isnt done really well in xeno, it's class - it just wont ever be xcom:eu/ew - though i have seen some really excellent ideas in xeno that could have worked well in xcom even in ground combat, like the inventory system and weight restrictions limiting movement. Rpg-ish type thing like that with the soldiers, which in fairness to xcom was done really well too, but not to the same level as xenonauts.

i didnt feel as badly about losing soldiers in xeno as i did in xcom - so there's that slight lack of personality in there, but even that works to make the game all the more enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Is there a thread for group buying 4 packs of games to get them cheaper?

I'm interested in buying Verdun it's €21.50 on it's own or else €51.79 for 4 = €12.95 each so a nice saving to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Looking for a decent keyboard for gaming that doesn't have a numberpad. Desk space is at a premium and I don't play any games that require the extra keys. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

I would recommend looking at http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/ - I got one of their 104 key code keyboards but they have 87 key versions as well. Despite having a numpad the 104 key is much smaller and neater than my previous Roccat and doesnt take up much space at all. Its the best gaming keyboard I've ever owned.

Just one caveat they are pricey and you'll likely get hit for customs as well.

Edit: I think you might be able to get one off Amazon either and avoid the customs charge.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DOTQ15M/ is one to have a look at too.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Looking for a decent keyboard for gaming that doesn't have a numberpad. Desk space is at a premium and I don't play any games that require the extra keys. Any recommendations?
    just out of interest what games would require a numberpad??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can anyone who hasnt entered this competition for a Witcher III gaming rig yet do it please, takes 10 seconds? Im trying to get to 100 Facebook referrals before the cutoff, currently at 82:

Mod edit - removed the referral link. Not allowed here i'm afraid.

just out of interest what games would require a numberpad??

Not a breeze. MMORPG that require a load of macros maybe? Couldn;t tell you as have never really played one. :o

Also, nice one for the suggestions!

Frisbee wrote: »
    I got the Microsoft sidewinder X6 keyboard, the number pad detaches and can be swapped to either side. It attaches using magnets which is pretty cool.

Thargor wrote: »
    Can anyone who hasnt entered this competition for a Witcher III gaming rig yet do it please, takes 10 seconds? Im trying to get to 100 Facebook referrals before the cutoff, currently at 82:

Done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement