Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Just done as well:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Entered :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Done

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone with even a passing interest in visual novels should check out Higurashi, the first chapter of which finally got released on Steam. It's regarded as one of the finest visual novels ever written and brilliantly subverts the genre. What starts off like it will end up as the usual harem novel with 1 guy and four girls quickly turns into something a whole lot more terrifying and gruesome. It's a bit crazy in a David Lynch kind of way but the whole thing comes together in the end in a hugely satisfying way.

The steam release replaces the original art with new much better artwork although you can switch back to the original art if you want (you won't it's really bad).

Quick question.

Getting my new gpu soon and it'll be my first time installing one. I know how to connect it but i'm wondering about the drivers.

Do i need to wipe my AMD drivers before i hook up and install my Nvidia card/drivers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Quick question.

Getting my new gpu soon and it'll be my first time installing one. I know how to connect it but i'm wondering about the drivers.

Do i need to wipe my AMD drivers before i hook up and install my Nvidia card/drivers??

I recently went the opposite way Nvidia to AMD and installed the GPU and installed the drivers and wiped all Nvidia stuff off hard drive.

I also had the latest driver pre-downloaded so made installation easier.

I recently went the opposite way Nvidia to AMD and installed the GPU and installed the drivers and wiped all Nvidia stuff off hard drive.

I also had the latest driver pre-downloaded so made installation easier.

Did you use a tool for that or was it manual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

You can use Revo Uninstaller, it cleans all the leftovers after normal uninstall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I've just uninstalled old drivers through control panel multiple times before when upgrading/changing and also I'd sometimes have the drivers already downloaded but I usually just let windows updates take care of it for me.

• Advertisement

Did you use a tool for that or was it manual?

manual.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I've just uninstalled old drivers through control panel multiple times before when upgrading/changing and also I'd sometimes have the drivers already downloaded but I usually just let windows updates take care of it for me.

Usually it would be enough but now drivers/programs tend to leave a lot of garbage. Temp files or blank registry strings. Revo and CCleaner are good combo to use from time to time.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Usually it would be enough but now drivers/programs tend to leave a lot of garbage. Temp files or blank registry strings. Revo and CCleaner are good combo to use from time to time.

I have a batch file set to clean my temp folder every time Windows starts and also run CCleaner every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I've always found Revo and CCleaner play havoc with my installation. Tried to uninstall the display drivers, and ended up completely wiping the Control Panel app without uninstalling it properly. So I could neither reinstall or uninstall Nvidia control panel to solve it.

There might be some tips online on how to do it best with those tools.

I think i'll just use the standard control panel method for now. If any issue's pop up i'll look into a specific cleaner tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As a matter of interest what GPU are you getting? I'm also on the hunt for a new card but its a horrible time to be buying a GPU imo (Currency issues, retailer hikes and AMD 3xx series due out next month)

Not to mention all the grief with projectcars and Witcher, I'm kinda waiting for smoke to blow over and see what the actual facts are about what has happened.

But from swaying around a lot lately, and being relatively settled on a GTX970 since JAnuary, recently changed my mind to look at the R9 290. (Or 290x depending on price adjustments next month)

TheDoc wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what GPU are you getting? I'm also on the hunt for a new card but its a horrible time to be buying a GPU imo (Currency issues, retailer hikes and AMD 3xx series due out next month)

Not to mention all the grief with projectcars and Witcher, I'm kinda waiting for smoke to blow over and see what the actual facts are about what has happened.

But from swaying around a lot lately, and being relatively settled on a GTX970 since JAnuary, recently changed my mind to look at the R9 290. (Or 290x depending on price adjustments next month)

GTX 970.
    I'll probably pick one up in the next 2 weeks, assuming my money situation is good.

Thought about getting the R9 290 but i really want to try Nvidia. But i have to say my 2gb 6970 held out for quite a while.

They are both great cards, but my pick would be GTX. Unfortunate game makers thx to money favor Nvidia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I have the 290 Tri X and its a savage card, upgraded from 7870 few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

GTX 970.
    I'll probably pick one up in the next 2 weeks, assuming my money situation is good.

Thought about getting the R9 290 but i really want to try Nvidia. But i have to say my 2gb 6970 held out for quite a while.

You really should wait one extra week to see what is announced at E3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.g2play.net/random-cd-keys

Anyone tried it? cracking idea :)

dreamers75 wrote: »

Probably indie games. I wouldn't bother trying as a game I do not want would just be left in my back log.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yeah, when I bought AC Unity they put the offer up in front of me, so I took it for a euro. The game they gave me was Strife: Veteran Edition.

I got it on Kinguin. I got Radical Roach which is valued at €6.99 but was on sale for 69cent on Steam 2 weeks ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ I got a free one of those recently. The damn key was dragon age. Is it any good? I don't like the sounds of the recent ones but maybe this one worth a play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

depends, if you like rpg games then these games are at the pinnacle otherwise then no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

^ I got a free one of those recently. The damn key was dragon age. Is it any good? I don't like the sounds of the recent ones but maybe this one worth a play?

Origin? If so that's the best in the series and worth a play through.. If not I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ Nevermind. Just took a closer look at the picture (yeah it's a picture of a key on a promotional card or something) and not only does it seem to be for Xbox 360 but it also expired 3 years ago. What the feck, kinguin. These things are garbage. Oh well, I was never interested in them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I have the 290 Tri X and its a savage card, upgraded from 7870 few months ago.

What size psu you using with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Humble Sale is looking well today, Outlast, Dungeon Defenders, Dark Souls, Anti chamber, Borderlands...

I'm just glad I own them all, it'd be an expensive afternoom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Humble Sale is looking well today, Outlast, Dungeon Defenders, Dark Souls, Anti chamber, Borderlands...

Worth getting DS on pc? Playing it on 360 but my rig can handle it and the dlc included is 15 on Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

€5 for it with the DLC.

If you thought the bosses in the base are good, the DLC is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Hey, does anyone have some monitor recommendation tips?
    Spending between €250 - €350.

I'm looking at Asus VG248QE, BenQ XL2411Z, both good entry level high frame rate monitors or perhaps the cheaper Asus MX239H?

Someone has also recommended the Dell S2340L.

Hey, does anyone have some monitor recommendation tips?
    Spending between €250 - €350.

I'm looking at Asus VG248QE, BenQ XL2411Z, both good entry level high frame rate monitors or perhaps the cheaper Asus MX239H?

Someone has also recommended the Dell S2340L.

I'd go for Asus VG248QE or BenQ XL2411Z as they have fast response times and excellent refresh rates 144Hz.

The other 2 have slow refresh rates and response times but are both IPS but for gaming the 144Hz + 1ms time monitors are best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I'd go for Asus VG248QE or BenQ XL2411Z as they have fast response times and excellent refresh rates 144Hz.

The other 2 have slow refresh rates and response times but are both IPS but for gaming the 144Hz + 1ms time monitors are best.
    Yeah.
    I just wonder / have doubts that if most of my gaming on PC is going to be around 60fps (1080 ultra or down sampled when I get a new card in a few months) and if I'm going to be using my consoles on it (XOne & PS4) which will be 30 - 60 most of the time, is it right to get a high refresh rate monitor instead of getting an IPS one.

Should I split the difference and go for a non high refresh but good response time monitor?

Do you need high refresh rates but don't really need good colors or high resolutions? Go TN.
    Do you want vibrant colors, higher resolutions or do you want multiple monitors? Go IPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

wow - necro thread.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Do you need high refresh rates but don't really need good colors or high resolutions? Go TN.
    Do you want vibrant colors, higher resolutions or do you want multiple monitors? Go IPS.

TN have high resolution 2560x 1440 or 4k.

Should I split the difference and go for a non high refresh but good response time monitor?

It is up to you really I have a 76Hz refresh rate and a 2ms response time atm and it is a TN and colours are perfect it is a Samsung monitor. I was thinking about upgrading but think I will stay with what I have as you would need a very good GPU and game that is optimized well get the high refresh rates 120Hz and higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

Laviski wrote: »
    wow - necro thread.

It's titled "Irish Game Servers". I see no problem with giving it a necro poke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Marcface wrote: »
    It's titled "Irish Game Servers". I see no problem with giving it a necro poke?

might be worth asking one of the pcgaming mods about it - might be worth firing up a new topic, ye never know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

might be worth asking one of the pcgaming mods about it - might be worth firing up a new topic, ye never know

True enough, I'll poke one when I get a chance.

Thanks man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Skerries wrote: »

Wow that's pretty decent too. Can play the game up to 2 hours and if you don't like it, get a refund. Niice! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

MiskyBoyy wrote:
    Wow that's pretty decent too. Can play the game up to 2 hours and if you don't like it, get a refund. Niice!

Totally a plus no longer need to fear not liking a game

I'm just wondering do you get the current retail price or the price you paid for it? So if you it in a sale would you get the sale price back?

It's pretty cool but it should have been implemented ages ago, it's most likely for the upcoming sale.. I can't imagine the amount if tickets they get for bad purchases..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

gazzamc wrote: »
    I'm just wondering do you get the current retail price or the price you paid for it? So if you it in a sale would you get the sale price back?

It's pretty cool but it should have been implemented ages ago, it's most likely for the upcoming sale.. I can't imagine the amount if tickets they get for bad purchases..

id imagine you get what you paid for it.

no way are they going to give you full price if it was on sale

dunworth1 wrote: »
    id imagine you get what you paid for it.

no way are they going to give you full price if it was on sale

Yea I was thinking that, I see gifts are excluded as well, so what about keys from other outlets?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gazzamc wrote: »

It's a refund so you'll get what you paid back for it.

Advertisement