Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Budget

• 20-10-2014 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

the Minister added 40 cent to the price of a packet of 20 cigarettes effective from midnight tonight in a move which will take the price of most well known brands to €10.
    A 25 gram pouch of roll-your-own tobacco will increase by a further 20 cents a pack.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pack-of-cigarettes-to-cost-10-but-alcohol-untouched-1.1963011

I like a puff of Amber leaf but I'm really shocked at the price hike of my 12.5 gram pack. It's gone from €5.30 to €5.90 in my local Tesco, and apparently in other retailers too. This is a good deal more than 20 Cent on a 25 gram pouch. Can anybody explain why Tesco and other shops can hike it up so much? Are you getting a better deal than me? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ccbee

My local tobacconist explained the over 20 cent hike as a manufacturer price hike, I guess trying to blame the government?! She showed me the price list from her supplier as she was also surprised. Also interesting that the price hike came only with new stocks!!

I smoke John Player Make Your Own silver and a 20g pouch is 9.50 up from 9.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Early_Bird

If you do some digging it actually looks like the way the increase has been reported in the press was very misleading.

Revenue have a summary document up on their website which says that

"Tobacco tax rates are increased with effect from 15 October 2014. The increase amounts to 40 cent, inclusive of VAT, on a packet of 20 cigarettes in the most popular price category, with pro rata increases on other tobacco products.

An additional 20 cent, inclusive of VAT, is being added to the price of a 25g pack of roll-your-own tobacco."

So the 20 cent quoted in the Times is in addition to the pro-rata increase, which works out as +40c for 25g. This means that tax on a 25g pouch actually goes up +60 cent and on a 20g pouch by +50 cent etc.

www. revenue.ie/en/press/budget/2015/budget-summary-2015.pdf

Advertisement