Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

momma gonna tri

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh, well done you!!! Seriously, that is fab - you have come so far. I am beaming for you. :) And with your goggles leaking - I find if I have any kind of moisturizer or cream on my face the goggles don't get a good seal and leak for sure. Also, with your hat slipping - I assume you mean just a normal swim cap? If so, I always wear two swim caps in events (obviously the race cap goes on top) and I never seem to have any sort of slipping issue. And I place my goggles on top of the bottom cap, and the race cap on top of the goggles. Helps keep the goggles in place. Fantastic work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Oh, well done you!!! Seriously, that is fab - you have come so far. I am beaming for you. :) And with your goggles leaking - I find if I have any kind of moisturizer or cream on my face the goggles don't get a good seal and leak for sure. Also, with your hat slipping - I assume you mean just a normal swim cap? If so, I always wear two swim caps in events (obviously the race cap goes on top) and I never seem to have any sort of slipping issue. And I place my goggles on top of the bottom cap, and the race cap on top of the goggles. Helps keep the goggles in place. Fantastic work!!

Thanks DD, I am still on a high from it, tired but on a high!!
    I had used suncream before to no ill effect, but this was a different one, and despite applying it hours beforehand, I guess it being a bit oily didn't help..will stick to my old one next time..I do get burn easily so need to be mindful of that! And the weather was fab, really sunny and warm!

With regards to the swiming cap, I was wearing two...but didn't put then on properly I guess and they kept slipping!! My hair is a bit long, so find it hard to get all the hair in right..must look for one of those for long hair!!! Lots learned for next event...8km in July 4th!!!!

This weekend I'll be attempting the 130km cycle sportive....god help me as I haven't been on the bike for longer 100km before ,and that was a few months ago I think!!! Oh well, it'll be slow, but i'll get it done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Good luck with the cycle this weekend - 5k swims/130k cycles - great achievements - enjoy the cycle and the feeling of accomplishment after

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Monday 22nd June 2015

Last swimming lesson for the kids, body wasn't too bad, but decided to take it easy, and did 500mtr non stop before heading to the jacuzzi/ steam room. Few times already I have felt dizzy a while after being there, checked with the dr in a recent trip, and nothing seem amiss, but will have to take it easy as I almost fainted twice in the last month!!

Tuesday 23rd June 2015

Lunch time swin in the nearby pool. It's only open for 40 mins, so limited on what we can do, but we set out to do 250 w.u, 10*100 on 2:15, and another 250 c.d. A coupe of incidents with people again that don't understand a tap in the foot means let me pass at the wall...

Wednesday 24th June 2015

Last group session , and coach was not there, but another guy came in for her, with a session which was not to shabby.
    400 wu.
    15*100 on 2:10 (first 10 with paddles)
    10*25 sprints on 40 secs
    200 c.d backstroke.
    Did another extra 650metres with fins just to round it up to 3km!

Sunday 28th June 2015 Ambo Ramble Tour

Mate picked me up at 8, to be there for registration between 8.30 and 9.00.
    We were both nervous and excited. She had done it before, she's a stronger cyclist than me (been cycling for a few years at this stage so has that base built!) ...I had mapped the route on Strava, and while there was some hills, it wasn't too daunting..still hilly course but doable. When we got there, I was told the route was going on the reverse order...meaning the hills just got a bit thougher, and were all in the first half of the cycle.

I will spare the details, but it was sufferfest for everyone! To start with the fact that the route was not marked properly, the lead car went the wrong way in several places due to the signs falling down overnight...etc etc..
    The wind on the coastal part of the route, the nicest and flattest part of the spin, made it worse!! I just didn't have in on me mentally or physically. Now, I won't lie, the fact that I hadn't been on the bike that much on the last few weeks didn't help, and other female issues made it really though!!! So before the food stop I was debating to call it a day or not...but after eating and resting a bit, I said, let's give it a go, the rest of the spin is the easiest part....but I just couldn't get going..even on flats I couldn't get going, my quads were not responding, I was aching all over...so we called the organiser (my friends knows here so she had her number) and she came to pick me up!!
    I won't lie, I am dissapointed, but one thing that I kept saying to justify this was that If i had continue suffering to finish, I would be wrecked for a week or more, and I have an 8km swim to take care of next weekend...so had to choose.

In fairness I know I can't compare myself to the people on this forum, I am not even a novice, as I have only ever done a sprint....not I think i'll ever be able to do what people here do, but seeing so many people here doing what they do, still keeps me in check, and if I am able to achieve even a small proportion of that , i'm happy. In fairness, who was going to tell me last year I would have been able to cycle a 100km and swim a 5km???

Anyway, no more biking for a few weeks, as I have the 8km and a 2km in the next couple of weekends, and with kids being off school, time is not there...but will try and get out a few times before now and the hols, and of course, will try and get a few sessions during the hols, there is plenty routes (hilly unfortunately) around us where we are going, and with my dad and a few friends really into cycling, I am hoping someone will be there to carry me around them!!!!

Advertisement