Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with tenant

Options
  • 21-10-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭

Myself & my wife rent out her old one bed apartment, our current tenants have been there for approx 14 months, in that time they have been consistently late with rent (they have to pay c €170 & the SW pays the remainder which goes directly into my wifes bank a/c) for which they never offer any notice or explanation, I know this doesnt sound like a large amount of money but it it to us as we don't have a lot of cash to spare & mortgages have to be paid etc.

On top of this, we've had numerous complaints from the property management company regarding the tenants being a social nuisance with loud parties regularly going on all night & not just at weekends but midweek when neighbours have to get up for work the next day etc. This is a situation we are far from happy about. We have attempted to contact them but all the numbers they have given us go straight to voicemail or com eup as not in service. We have also written to them but gotten no response to our letters. The letters have outlined our intention to call up to the property to carry out an inspection, but without any recognition of these what can we legally do with respect to inspecting our property? & further again with respect to giving them a warning re: unsocial behaviour?

We had a bad experience with the previous tenant who left the property in a terrible state which cost us over €4k to make good & are obviously keen to avoid a repeat.

FTR we are PRTB registered & have done everything above board with respect to our legal obligations. Having already made efforts to contact the tenants with no success can we just call up unannounced & ask to be let in?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

With regards to the late rent - issue a 14 day notice of arrears (send by registered post, so you have proof they received it), followed by a 28 day eviction notice if they don't pay it within the 14 days.

Iirc, for bad antisocial behaviour, you can give 7 days notice, but no harm to check that with a solicitor.

Tbh, you're probably looking at a long, tough battle to get them out. Would be no harm to engage the services of a solicitor now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 punkyy8

You must give at least 24 hour notice before you can call up and carry out an inspection. If you have tried to contact them by phone you can call up to the house and post a letter I'm the letterbox to say you will be up within 24hr for inspection.. As above you can serve notice to quit for failure to pay rent, the template notice to quit can be got on the PRTB website. I recommend you serve the correct notice and serve it as advised exactly on their website, if you do one thing wrong and the tenant disputes it with the PRTB they will throw the case out and say notice to quit is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a typical shaped box of roses. Sellotape letter on top of box of roses. Take photo of this. as proof. Wrap box of roses. Send by registered post. They'll sign for it (everyone loves Roses), and you'll then have proof of postage.

This will probably only work once, but it should work, as the box of roses is not the same shape as a letter.

Advertisement