Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get sensor cleaned

• 21-10-2014 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I have to get my sensor cleaned before a trip. Conns are a little pricy in my opinion, and I got no response from the repair place in Rathmines. Where in Dublin do you get your sensor cleaned?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

fguihen wrote: »
    I have to get my sensor cleaned before a trip. Conns are a little pricy in my opinion, and I got no response from the repair place in Rathmines. Where in Dublin do you get your sensor cleaned?

Most of the camera shops in Dublin do it. I had mine done in Berminghams before and they did a very good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Free dry clean, €25 wet clean at DML

www.dml.ie

www.dml.ie/emerchantpro/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=53&adminPreview=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Ben D Bus wrote: »

I checked out DML but they are only open Mon - Friday 9am 5pm and those are my work hours so would never make it from my work on the other side of the city to them when they are open.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Buy some swabs and fluid and do it yourself.

The first time will be the hardest but once you have the knack you can then clean it as often as you need for very little cost as soon as you notice any dust.

Remember you are NOT touching the sensor itself, only the IR Filter which covers the sensor. It's a piece of glass and as long as you take reasonable care you will not damage anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭EyeCake

CabanSail wrote: »

The first time will be the hardest but once you have the knack you can then clean it as often as you need for very little cost as soon as you notice any dust.

Remember you are NOT touching the sensor itself, only the IR Filter which covers the sensor. It's a piece of glass and as long as you take reasonable care you will not damage anything.

Is that the same for all camera's
    I ordered a cleaning kit and then chickened out afraid of damaging the sensor and brought it to a shop. I think the price they charge made me think there was a unique skill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

CabanSail wrote: »

Not a bad idea at all CabanSail. Can you recommend any specific brand of wipes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

EyeCake wrote: »
    Is that the same for all camera's
    I ordered a cleaning kit and then chickened out afraid of damaging the sensor and brought it to a shop. I think the price they charge made me think there was a unique skill

I know it's much the same for Nikon & Canon, and I think it would not vary much for the other DSLR cameras. It's not a hard skill to master and there are tutorials available on Youtube to guide you.
    fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Not a bad idea at all CabanSail. Can you recommend any specific brand of wipes?

I bought my swabs a few years ago now (they last for ages) and they were "Visible Dust" brand. Having said that, I'm sure other brands are just as good.

Advertisement