Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rented house with no gas or electricity

Options
  • 21-10-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. So just a bit of background.
    I rented a house on the 17th and was hopping to move there this week.
    But there is a prepay power meter installed I was aware of this and I am having it disabelled. This is where the problems start. I signed up with airtricity and called prepaypower.ie to get a deactivation code. They tell me they won't give it to me unless I submit proof of tennancy. I thought this was odd so I called esb they told me that that that is not a legal requirement and prepaypower must give me a deactivation code so I can have electricity prepaypower still refuse.
    I am renting through an estate agent and I have asked for this a few days ago yet I am still to receive anything.
    the gas is a whole other issue. It seems it has been disconnected for 3 years (I was unaware of this) and now they need a certificate of compliance before they can turn the gas back on at all which will cost 140 euros. This all needs to be requested by the estate agents again I told them a few days ago and heard nothing back.
    So now I am paying rent in a place that has no electricity or gas and is unlivable. And it will be like this for at least another couple of weeks.
    Any advise would be thoroughly appreciated.
    Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think you have to get on the phone on the hour, every hour to the estate agent until this is sorted out. You should have your lease before you even move in. They shouldn't have rented the flat to you without sorting thus stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

In the short term presumably you can still use the pre-pay power to get electricity though?

Do you have the time/energy to go sit in the estate agent's office and stare at them until they give you the tenancy proof and arrange for a gas service?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Thoie wrote: »
    In the short term presumably you can still use the pre-pay power to get electricity though?

Do you have the time/energy to go sit in the estate agent's office and stare at them until they give you the tenancy proof and arrange for a gas service?

Well I'n not sure since I already signed up with airtricity! And no I don't have the time to just sit there until they resolve it. I forgot to mention I am also registered disabled due to a chronic condition that may get worst with stress this isn't helping at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Hi everyone. So just a bit of background.
    I rented a house on the 17th and was hopping to move there this week.
    But there is a prepay power meter installed I was aware of this and I am having it disabelled. This is where the problems start. I signed up with airtricity and called prepaypower.ie to get a deactivation code. They tell me they won't give it to me unless I submit proof of tennancy. I thought this was odd so I called esb they told me that that that is not a legal requirement and prepaypower must give me a deactivation code so I can have electricity prepaypower still refuse.
    I am renting through an estate agent and I have asked for this a few days ago yet I am still to receive anything.
    the gas is a whole other issue. It seems it has been disconnected for 3 years (I was unaware of this) and now they need a certificate of compliance before they can turn the gas back on at all which will cost 140 euros. This all needs to be requested by the estate agents again I told them a few days ago and heard nothing back.
    So now I am paying rent in a place that has no electricity or gas and is unlivable. And it will be like this for at least another couple of weeks.
    Any advise would be thoroughly appreciated.
    Thanks for reading!

You can call ESB Networks and ask them if the "010" MM and "102" MM has been issued for your MPRN (you should have the MPRN) for Airtricity. They will know what that means.

If they say that this is done, then PPP are obliged to provide the deactiviation code within 24hrs of seeing the above messages. You do not need to give them your name or details (although Airtricity will have passed a name and number, via ESB Networks, to PPP so that they can issue the code).

It can occur that Airtricity has taken over the supply of the MPRN, and that the PPP meter is still taking costs - so effectively you can be double-billed. However, PPP will refund the topups made after the 102MM is issued.

Bord Gais Networks (now Gas Networks Ireland) are correct in saying that a cert is required when the gas is off for 3 years. Normally, though the unlock fee for something like this would be paid by the LL as you move in.

I will try that tomorrow. So the update is that there is nothing happening. Finally got someone on the phone from the agency and they claim that the house is not inhabitable, they even said well it's not that cold you don't really need to use the heating! this is a bunch of bull because as i pointed out the cooker is gas so there is no way to even cook a meal. I find this is really shocking as a tenant because I shouldn't have to be going through this and for the landlord who pays these people to do a job they really aren't doing!
    It may be naive of my but I thought that once you pay an estate agent to manage your property there should be things like these resolved before they rent the property!
    I have one more question, considering the house is not up to standard would it be reasonable to delay the rent until all the issues are resolved? How do I go about doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I will try that tomorrow. So the update is that there is nothing happening. Finally got someone on the phone from the agency and they claim that the house is not inhabitable, they even said well it's not that cold you don't really need to use the heating! this is a bunch of bull because as i pointed out the cooker is gas so there is no way to even cook a meal. I find this is really shocking as a tenant because I shouldn't have to be going through this and for the landlord who pays these people to do a job they really aren't doing!
    It may be naive of my but I thought that once you pay an estate agent to manage your property there should be things like these resolved before they rent the property!
    I have one more question, considering the house is not up to standard would it be reasonable to delay the rent until all the issues are resolved? How do I go about doing this?

You wouldnt get away with withholding rent but that place needs reporting to whoever is in charge of making sure rentals are habitable, they do spot checks on property. I think its someone other than the PRTB but inform the estate agent you are putting a complaint in with the PRTB as well. The minimum standards for rental property include working heating.

EDIT:

Here you go, http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html
    Its the local authority. I wouldnt bother giving them a chance to fix it first. I would report it and then let them know.

I am not proposing withholding rent what I am proposing is delaying the start date of the lease if you will to the date when everything is in order.
    I actually tried to call PRTB today but couldn't get through so I called threshold and they told me this is not "illegal" nor substandard but I must spend my time hassling the estate agent to resolve the situation. I promptly hung up on the guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Well the minimum standards include
    A fixed heating appliance in each room, which is capable of providing effective heating and which the tenant can control

Which I would consider something you arent getting.

If you havent signed a lease I would just go. If they are this awkward over important things I would hate to see what happens if you had any other problems.

I know unfortunately I already signed the lease and paid deposit and 1st month rent because I am a good tenant!
    I even did all the leg work to resolve the situation and supplied the management team with every single piece of info they need to fix this!

So yet another update. Nothing from the estate agents, I'll give them until monday. However I did manage to electricity up and running.
    Called ESB they advised contacting the energy generator who informed me that prepaypower were breaking the law. Called prepaypower and got electricity up and running in under 10 minutes!
    No help from the estate agents of course!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

It takes three days to organise or get gas company out. Organise them and advise the estate agent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

With respect of the certificate of compliance to get the gas started again- any RGI registered gas engineer can do this for you. Typically its 60-75 Euro- not 140...... The RGI installer does the full check, issues you with your certificate of compliance, turns back on the gas- and forwards a copy of the certificate to Bord Gais Networks.

Loads of companies out there do this- you are not confined to Bord Gais Energy or their contractors (who are all Balfour Beatty employees)- literally, any fully certified RGI installer can do this for you.......

It takes three days to organise or get gas company out. Organise them and advise the estate agent.

This would be a viable alternative if I could afford to cover the costs of this operation (RGI registered plumber for certificate and bord gais reconnection fee) I paid a lot of money for this place and I feel I should not be responsible for the organisation of this or the cost of this whole thing!
    I am emailing the estate agents today if they do not get their act together next week I am opening a case with the PRTB and the local environmental authority.

With respect of the certificate of compliance to get the gas started again- any RGI registered gas engineer can do this for you. Typically its 60-75 Euro- not 140...... The RGI installer does the full check, issues you with your certificate of compliance, turns back on the gas- and forwards a copy of the certificate to Bord Gais Networks.

Loads of companies out there do this- you are not confined to Bord Gais Energy or their contractors (who are all Balfour Beatty employees)- literally, any fully certified RGI installer can do this for you.......

That may be so, the 140 euros is a charge from Bord Gais to turn the gas back on, after the certificate of compliance is submitted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

That may be so, the 140 euros is a charge from Bord Gais to turn the gas back on, after the certificate of compliance is submitted

Correct had to do this my self. With electrical if it has been off over a year. Gas not so sure of kength

So another update. I emailed the letting agency threatened the with PRTB and the local environmental agency and they quickly got in touch with a plumber who is going to the property tomorrow to issue a certificate of compliance. It remains to be seen when the gas will be reconnected. I have to move from my current place until the 5th so this is getting really tight! I'm crossing my fingers everything will be done by saturday but I am not holding my breath!

Advertisement