Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brestfeeding & Work

Options
  • 21-10-2014 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question or not.

Does anyone know if the law on the brestfeeding hour at work (or time off in lieu) is just for 6 months from birth or as this been extended?

I have tried to look this up however cannot find a definitive answer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/after_your_baby_is_born/breastfeeding.html

Here it states it is only from the first 6 months. This is from April 2013. As far as I know this hasn't been extended. I'm open to correction tho.

It's a pity really. It would be fantastic if it was extended till even the first year. A lot of women breastfeed past the 6 month mark (I am). And it's a pity that women who have to go back into the work force have to give it up or at least cut back on breast feeds. It's no wonder breast feeding rates are so low in this country. In Sweden they allow breast feeding breaks for mothers for the first 2 years post birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is it a pity, maternity/paternity law here is woeful. But you could ask your employer for some discretion as well on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Where do you work? The civil service allows for one hour of BF breaks per day until the child is two, and some public service sectors also facilitate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Thanks for the replies.
    lazygal wrote: »
    Where do you work? The civil service allows for one hour of BF breaks per day until the child is two, and some public service sectors also facilitate this.

My wife works in the private sector so will have to get her to ask her employer.

My sister works in the public service so she was the one who mentioned that she was eligible till the child was two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Yep you're defo eligible but it's not law unfortunately :(.

• Advertisement
Advertisement