Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT / Resto question

Options
  • 21-10-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Back in 2010 I bought a 1986 car (on UK plates) as an unfinished project and I've been working on it since,

The lad I bought it from imported it in 2007 but couldnt clear it as it wasnt driving etc,

Its now almost ready for road use so I tried to get a value from the Revenue site for VRT but the car is not listed, I contacted my local VRO office for a valuation and all I got was go to Donedeal or ring your local dealer to get a value and the VRT rate it will be 36%!

so I'm not sure what to do now with the car approaching the 30 years bracket...... hint hint

these cars are on Donedeal for between €800 & €4000 but I got a letter from my local dealer stating they are not worth anymore than €1000 in todays market!

I dont know whether or not this letter would be accepted by VRO/NCT

I'm also wondering if I could be liable for back tax to 2010 or even 2007... or am I okay seeing that it was off the road, ( I have photos of the car in pieces )

any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Just carry on restoring it for another two years...

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

I think it's illegal to sell a foreign registered car in this country, and the VRT is due to be paid from the time of importation, so you will likely be fined per week or month that it wasn't registered.

NCT office are the ones who will inform you of the amount of VRT to be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it isn't yet a viable car and cannot be VRTd. Just wait til it's finished, cook up a receipt and VRT it, especially if it is then over 30 yrs old. Nothing wrong here if it genuinely hasn't been on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

Sell to your cousin in the north until it turns 30 then back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

macplaxton wrote: »
    Just carry on restoring it for another two years...

that's probably what I'll end up doing.... but it wont be easy having to look at her parked up for another 18 months before I can let rip!! :)

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    it isn't yet a viable car and cannot be VRTd. Just wait til it's finished, cook up a receipt and VRT it, especially if it is then over 30 yrs old. Nothing wrong here if it genuinely hasn't been on the road.

thanks.... would I still have to produce a ferry/haulage receipt, if so I'm goosed!

homingbird wrote: »
    Sell to your cousin in the north until it turns 30 then back to you.

I had thought of that but I don't think its as easy as it sounds, the car according to the DVLA was exported so if cousin Jim up north bought it he will have to import it back into the UK so to speak, produce the car for inspection etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Kop 77, when you are ready to clear it, take it to the n.c.t. centre with an invoice from the last name in the V5. They have never looked for a ferry ticket from me. Ideally, wait until its 30 years old. Give me a call if you want to discuss it further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

kop77 wrote: »
    thanks.... would I still have to produce a ferry/haulage receipt, if so I'm goosed!

no, a hand written receipt will suffice

Advertisement