Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the better option?

Options
  • 21-10-2014 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

I have 24mb eircom (not getting anything close to 24meg tho) atm im using powerline homeplugs to play xbox up stairs, i have a cable from the xbox to the homeplug but would a long ethernet cable going straight to the xbox from the modem be a better option conection wise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Open the interent explorer app and go to speedof.me and run the test and see what kind of results you get ping wise, to be honest I can't see you getting much better performance from a long cable vs homeplugs unless the signal takes a very roundabout route around the houses wiring to get to the homeplug.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Test your speed first by connecting directly to the router and then also through your homeplug. If the speeds are relatively the same then a long ethernet cable will make no difference.

Using homeplugs myself and pretty much get an identical speed as if I was beside the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Never taut of that ha must do that now later and see

Advertisement