Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase

Options
  • 21-10-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Our landlord told us (me and OH) recently that he was increasing our rent. We said we weren't willing to pay any more, so we would move out and find another place. It was all very amicable, we told the landlord we would show the place for him if he wanted, and he said we could stay for a few months on a compromised rent amount if we needed, while we found a place.

Anyway, we found a place, so I told our landlord we would be out by the end of the month (we're on a rolling monthly lease). He didn't reply until a few days later, and mentioned that he's entitled to 56 days notice as we've been there over 2 years. I told him we will send our written notice to him but don't want to be paying double rent and will do anything he needs to get someone else in soon.

Just wondering what are the opinions here, could we be held liable for 56 days rent from the written notice? Seems a bit harsh given he was putting up the rent, that's why we went and found a new place. And if we are liable, if we can find someone (or he finds someone) to rent the place instead, are we still liable? He hasn't said he will hold us to it, I just want to be well informed in advance (just in case).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You are liable for the notice period, up to the point that the place is rented out again. If the landlord rents the place the day after you move out, you won't have to pay any extra. He has an obligation to minimise his losses so he can't just sit back waiting for the notice period to lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Seems a bit mercenary all the same. You did give him notice that you intend to move out and there was an agreement between two parties that you would vacate the property when you found a suitable new place. You've been hospitable tenants, pity he's acting like this.

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Seems a bit mercenary all the same. You did give him notice that you intend to move out and there was an agreement between two parties that you would vacate the property when you found a suitable new place. You've been hospitable tenants, pity he's acting like this.

OP didn't say they were in Dublin. They could be somewhere where filling the place could be more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

OP didn't say they were in Dublin. They could be somewhere where filling the place could be more difficult.

Im aware, thats why I edited.

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Im aware, thats why I edited.

Apologies. You and your ninja edit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 scolarda

Apologies. You and your ninja edit!

Tis Dublin indeed

scolarda wrote: »
    Tis Dublin indeed

Well then the landlord or yourselves won't have a problem finding someone to replace you and you shouldn't be out of pocket too much. It also makes more sense for him to rent it quickly as he will get the higher rate of rent with the new tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

scolarda wrote: »
    Just wondering what are the opinions here, could we be held liable for 56 days rent from the written notice? Seems a bit harsh given he was putting up the rent, that's why we went and found a new place. And if we are liable, if we can find someone (or he finds someone) to rent the place instead, are we still liable? He hasn't said he will hold us to it, I just want to be well informed in advance (just in case).
    You are liable for the rent for the 56 days notice at the compromised rate you agreed to. I assume he gave you written notice of the compromise rate of rent?

Your landlord is not your friend, he is someone you have a legal & business relationship with. For your own protection, you need to follow the law with these things, not base them on loose verbal agreements.

Advertisement