Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a wifi router as access point

Options
  • 21-10-2014 3:35pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a good few Wifi routers surplus and would like to reuse them to save me running cables.

I have eFibre installed using a Vodafone HG658c which is fine.

I have a Vodafone HG556a and a Dlink DSL-2640R plus a Netgear WGU624UK and Dlink DI-524. All work as routers, but some are quite old. Both the first two were installed prior to the eFibre installation, the Dlink being the better unit, and replaced the HG556a which was not great at wifi.

What do I have to do to get these to work? I am thinking of connecting a smart TV and a Humax FoxSat box to the old router using RJ45 and using the WiFi of that router to act as a connection to the HG658c WiFi network.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Just disable DHCP and use the lan ports. It's a good idea to first change the ip to one within the subnet your main router uses but outside the DHCP pool so you can connect to it after

Edit, on a re-read I see it's not an access point you're looking for, it's wireless bridge, I doubt what you have listed offers that functionality. An access point connects to your existing router by cable.

Edit 2, it may be possible flash the Netgear with a custom software called DDWrt which would offer this functionality
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I might try that. All the routers are basically worthless as theyt stand - no-one wants them as the netword suppliers give them away free and do not collect the empties.

You reckon the Netgear is the best one to try with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

You reckon the Netgear is the best one to try with?

There is a slight chance it supports DDWrt, check if the model numbers of any of them are on the supported router database, the hardware needs to support it and have enough flash memory to install on.

Advertisement