Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBMC hiberate mode

• 21-10-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

I've got a custom built m-itx htpc running XBMC Gotham over Windows 8.1. To power on the device from cold I must press the power button on the front of the case. I cannot power it on directly from cold using the remote. I would like to start using hibernate mode when shutting down so I can power it back on with the remote :)

I'm just wondering are many boardies using hibernate mode within XBMC? Right now the system seems to wake up from hibernate after a few minutes of me shutting down. I've no idea why:confused: Is this likely related to some setting within XBMC or Windows 8 itself? I will need to troubleshoot this further myself but just wanted to check that there wasn't something I was doing wrong :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi, I use XBMC Gotham on Win 7. It's a HP N54L server I use and it only has hibernate mode. I use the XBMC app on Android to send a WOL packet to the server and it wakes up, because of where the server is located it sure beats pressing the button.

Can you try to "shut down" with sleep mode and check if you can use remote to wake it? I had a machine before that worked that way. I could wake it using a remote but not from hibernate mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Cheers for the info MAJJ, but I can wake up the HTPC with the remote when using sleep or hibernate. The problem is that the machine wakes itself up automatically after about 10mins when I put it into XBMC hibernate mode :( I'll was just wondering if there is some special setting in XBMC I should be using or if its probably just the OS causing it to wake up. At this stage I suspect something in the OS is causing it to wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I have the same remote as you and i use Simerec (Simerec.com) Universal IR Remote Switch.
    It is a neat little InfraRed Receiver (PCS-1 model i have) that once installed (two wires clipped onto pc power supply loom) you'll be able to to Power ON and OFF your HTPC...
    There's a little bit of work involved here to make it work,
    as you need to drill a tiny whole in your HTPC case to install the IR receiver..
    But on the other hand, it comes fully assembled and no soldering is required.

You can make it "learn" any remote button - i just used the top right button on the remote you have.

Fair enough, it takes 20 to 30 seconds to power up, but to be honest i had too many issues with hibernate mode before - no wifi/network coming back on sometimes when coming out of hibernate, also there are xbmc users telling of previous issues with hibernate on the xbmc forums - movies disappearing from database/boot issues - like yours - pc waking up by itself/general problems etc., so you are better off powering it down altogether each time to be honest. Kill off any unwanted startup programs in msconfig and you can get a standard hard drive to boot windows in under 20 seconds (and im still using XP! :D)

@ Access, fantastic advice thanks mate :) I'm definitely going to look into that IR receiver. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! This is the case I have. Is it safe to assume that no drilling would be required as I could just place the received behind the IR window on the front? I've got a PICO PSU inside so would that work fine with this? The documentation says you need an ATX power supply. If I did install this would I still have the option of being able to still press the power button on the front of the case to power on the pc or does this render the front power button on the case useless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

could be something like the following?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10418/stop-the-mouse-from-waking-up-your-computer-from-sleep-mode/

theres a command line command too, but I cant for the life of me remember what it is (lists what has the ability to wake up the pc, and you can remove things from the list with another command)

I'd personally try to avoid windows standby though, so the linked IR controlled power switch is certainly worth a look imo

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    could be something like the following?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10418/stop-the-mouse-from-waking-up-your-computer-from-sleep-mode/

theres a command line command too, but I cant for the life of me remember what it is (lists what has the ability to wake up the pc, and you can remove things from the list with another command)

I'd personally try to avoid windows standby though, so the linked IR controlled power switch is certainly worth a look imo

Yeah, I gotta agree, I think I might try to avoid putting the machine into hibernate. I really would like to know if the IR Receiver would work with this power supply that I have in my HTPC :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Just from reading, it will, but the included splicers will have nothing to splice into, so you'd have to solder it in unfort...

Has to be to the purple +5v, as the normal +5v (red i think on molex connectors), will of course be deenergised when power is off

I've contacted simerec and they've confirmed that soldering is required on the picoPSU so that's me out :(

The image shows where the purple wire of the PCS-1 should be soldered.

291caz5.jpg

Advertisement