Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank holiday pay

Options
  • 21-10-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

I have taken on a new job which is night shift work. I ahve found out today that we are not compensated for bank holidays in a week where we work 40 hours that does not include the bank holiday.

If we work the bank holiday we are entitled to the pay for that day and a day of in lieu plus €75.

I was under the impression every worker is entitled to bank holidays off in some form.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Are bank holidays included in your holiday allocation for the year, as in 30 days (9 BH & 21 holidays). Think that's the only reason they could have to say you don't get anything extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Senna wrote: »
    Are bank holidays included in your holiday allocation for the year, as in 30 days (9 BH & 21 holidays). Think that's the only reason they could have to say you don't get anything extra for it.

No.

Although I am currently debating this with the person involved. My thread is to see if there is any precedent of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If the bank holiday isn't part of your scheduled work week then you're not "entitled" to anything.. Regarding rotating shifts then its a taken that over a period of time everyone will work and not work the same number of BH's and so nobody is winning or loosing out.

Remember, the BH is just that day and not attached to the whole week..

As a previous poster mentioned lots of places that work rotating shifts divide down the BH's and compensate all workers.. but this doesn't have to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Are you sure? My working week for years was Tuesday to Saturday, so I never worked a bank holiday, but I always had it as an extra day off, basically added to my amount of holidays for the year. Was my employer just being generous? he's a miserable **** normally so I doubt it was out of the goodness of his heart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

_Brian wrote: »
    If the bank holiday isn't part of your scheduled work week then you're not "entitled" to anything.. Regarding rotating shifts then its a taken that over a period of time everyone will work and not work the same number of BH's and so nobody is winning or loosing out.

Remember, the BH is just that day and not attached to the whole week..

As a previous poster mentioned lots of places that work rotating shifts divide down the BH's and compensate all workers.. but this doesn't have to happen.

That is not correct in the Republic of Ireland (although it is in some other countries).

Here:
    "Where the public holiday falls on a day on which the employee does not normally work, the employee is entitled to one fifth of his/her normal weekly wage for the public holiday"
    From Workplace Relations: http://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/Publications_Forms/Guide_to_the_OWT_Act_-_Holidays_Public_Holidays.pdf

The only exception is if you have not worked for the employer for at least 40 hours over the preceeding five weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

OP, the only exception is if you've not worked up enough hours prior to the bank holiday. The required hours escape me at present. But if you work 40 hours a week you are 100% entitled to BH or pay in lieu.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Ok, thanks. The person involved is sending an email to payroll. I think it will be an interesting one as people appear not to have been paid in this situation with a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

If this is a new job, you have to have worked in total 40 hours in the 5 weeks immediately before the bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If we work the bank holiday we are entitled to the pay for that day and a day of in lieu plus €75.

OP is the day off in lieu plus €75 not your compensation for working the bank holiday? If so, then that's correct as if you have to work a bank holiday you are either entitled to another day off or payment in lieu.

Advertisement