Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss on holiday, closes business and no pay

Options
  • 21-10-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I was just looking for the answer for a problem I have.

My boss has gone away for 2 weeks on holidays, it's a rather small business but nonetheless it's still a job.

Theres a couple of employees, we all work part time.

Since he is gone away, he closed the business for 2 weeks and left us all without pay for the next 2 weeks.

I was just wondering if this is illegal, is there anything I can do about it? It's two weeks wages and now I'm left with nothing for the next two weeks.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I suppose it depends on lots of things... how many hours are actually contracted to work?? Has the boss just put everyone to zero hours and so no pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Take it from your annual leave so you still get paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xavier8228

I worked in a hotel years ago and It used to close for a month in January. We all had to go on the dole for a month and get means tested every time. Only got 170 a week but it was better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

_Brian wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on lots of things... how many hours are actually contracted to work?? Has the boss just put everyone to zero hours and so no pay.

I have never seen nor signed a contract, I am on the books and contracted to work 6 hours, ( well by contracted I mean on the roster I'm down for 6 hours 1 day a week for the winter).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was just wondering if this is illegal, is there anything I can do about it? It's two weeks wages and now I'm left with nothing for the next two weeks.

No, it's not illegal for a company to have a forced closure period. They are allowed to chose when you take your holidays.

It's likely that your boss has handled this badly, possibly illegally. He should have given you a month's notice that you would be required to take annual leave while he was away, and paid you for that leave - out of the 8% of pay that you should be getting to cover annual leave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

No, it's not illegal for a company to have a forced closure period. They are allowed to chose when you take your holidays.

It's likely that your boss has handled this badly, possibly illegally. He should have given you a month's notice that you would be required to take annual leave while he was away, and paid you for that leave - out of the 8% of pay that you should be getting to cover annual leave.

OP, have you used up annual leave accrued so far this year? It will be 8% of the hours worked.

Advertisement