Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get a dog, breed suggestions?

• 21-10-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello everyone!

So recently I began thinking about getting a dog as I feel one would help me be present in reality more often, as I tended to use a lot of escapism to deal with some issues. The issues are now delt/being delt with but I still use loads of escapism simply due to it being so ingrained in me as a habit after a decade of it. So my interest in a dog would be for companionship and as a positive/therupuetic aid in getting out more and general health improvements.

I have one cat who is a very quiet, introverted one I got when she was a kitten. She's now 10. Don't have much in the way of a back yard, its more akin to a corridor with plants on either side, I am however about 5min from a small and quiet park and 20min from the Stephen's Green park so I don't think that should be much of an issue. I also aim to eventually be hiking once a week with the family, dog included, so it would need to be able to go on a 3-5 hour walk (plenty of small 5min breaks throughout and a 20-30min lunch break).

Currently I'm very much in the research phase, finding out what things I'll need to buy as well as looking at dog training videos on youtube (kikopup being the one I watch most), aforementioned parks and other places to take on walks, such as along the canal and so on.

What I'm having difficult with is breeds. A big dog would require too much space or a yard and, frankly, would be beyond my comfort level and we have no interest in smaller dogs because the hiking would be a pretty big thing on a mostly weekly basis. So far the only breed that has appealed to me and fit my needs moving forward and the house is the Shiba Inu. So given that they might be hard to find or too expensive to buy, what are some similar breeds you lovely folks can suggest? I would like to options available as I'm realistic about, potentially, not getting a Shiba Inu. :)

As for my cat, she is very well behaved and surprisingly well trained despite no real effort/knowledge on my part, I got her when younger and never really thought to research training things. The only experience in the house she has with a dog is one we were looking after for a day, they didn't fight but she did spent the majority of the time hiding behind the curtains hehe. So ideally I would be looking for a puppy, to lessen any issues between them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

The size of your garden doesn't really matter when it comes to the size dog you get. A dog would sooner want to be with you than by itself in the back garden.

Would you ever consider fostering? You could foster a dog that seems to be compatible with you, and if you two don't click, you haven't made a commitment to a dog you cannot keep. It would also allow you to get a feel for how your life would change... and it would also help a dog in need. Or you could end up with the kind of dog you would like exactly. There are breeds out there (rottweiler for example in my experience) that I thought I would never like, and ended up loving once I met one (met a few actually... fell in love with them even harder!). And the opposite when it came to beagles, thought I'd love one, but they are not compatible with me.

Aside from that, are there any particular traits you would like in a dog (which may be found in particular breeds)? Trainable? Clingy? Independent? Quiet? That sort of thing?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ev.

Aye, I can consider fostering. Its still quite early in the whole thing, very much just researching it at the moment. It may well be better that I do foster initially and, as you said, get a feel for how life would change. Thats sort of the whole point though, that having a dog will change my life for the better and help me with personal growth. :)

As for traits, trainable and quiet would be the two major ones. I am literally always at home so independance wouldn't matter a whole lot to me either way and while I do want to have to go for walks once or twice a day I wouldn't want a dog that needs absolutey tons of excersize. That said my opinion on that could change when I'm more comfortable going out (just personally and then also with a dog I have to keep an eye on). So I suppose a bit of adaptability is another trait that would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 IntotheWest100

I have had various breeds of dogs over the years. Currently I have a husky/ german shepard cross and a smaller collie type another monegral. They are both house dogs (kept it indoors all day, bar when brought out to the toilet or out for her exercise). The husky/german shepard is the most intelligent dog I have ever had. The only issue is she needs at least 5km jog per day minimum. I work nights and my partner days, she needs constant attention and likes to come everywhere with us. I have a smaller dog she is a small collie type dog, this dog is an older dog, I got her from a dog shelter. She requires very little exercise and is happy to just lie on the couch all day long. I choose her after my old dog had passed away, as I wanted a quite dog (my old one was a bit hyper required a lot of attention). My advice is to go around the dog shelters. Preferably ones which the dogs have a bit of freedom you will get to see the dogs personality if they have room to run around. There are some lovely slightly older dogs which are quite and need a slight bit extra care (medication and maybe they were treated badly by previous owners) but once looked after right, they make lovely companions. Good luck on your search.

Advertisement