Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lives

Options
  • 21-10-2014 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

I'm not dead, i was just taking a break.

My last log under another name was hijacked and it got to the stage where i couldn't even post on my log without abuse. Anyway the offenders are being blocked so whatever they post i won't see it.

After the major high of 2013 and all the progress that i made was undone in 2014. Its been roller coaster year of weight going up, weight going down, births, deaths and all that goes that.

In April my 3rd child was born, a boy and in August after a two year battle with cancer my mother passed away.

From the start of 2014 my mother had medical problems and was in and out of hospital so training was put on hold so i could visit and help where i could.

As you can imagine add the birth of a child to that and my stress/load was very high. I was grabbing food when i could and it wasn't the right food. I lost all the ground i gained and currently weigh 107kg, that is tough to write but its a fact.

In July i still had visions of doing a few races and even purchased a new TT, i did a club sprint distance and actually did a new PB:o

In August my world fell apart for a while when my mother really went down hill and we knew she only had weeks left. I spent that time either working or driving to Longford to be with her.

On Aug 28th she lost her cancer battle and i lost one of my best friends. I am not ashamed to say i was/am a mammys boy. She was my biggest supporter and critic at the same time.

I've put on almost 7kg since the start of August with all that has been going on and the last week of that month is just a blur of take away, sandwiches and drink.

So here we are in late Oct and all has settled down. My wife has just gone back to work from mat leave, my son has started school, i'm back in work and one thing is in my head.................

The fat Elvis phase to end !

Since i started running/exercising 6 years ago this week i've ran 5ks, 10ks, half marathons, 5 marathons in 5 days, sprint tris, half iron distance tris

BUT

I still weigh roughly the same and its just pointless, so pointless that if i don't get this weight down i don't think i'll ever do another race.

My mam asked me to get it down for health reasons before she passed, hey i can't ignore a woman's death bed request can i !!!

My only aim going forward is weight loss, i have no races planned and won't either. I'm working with a sports scientist and dietitian re a proper diet and a training plan to achieve this.

I'm looking at changing my relationship with food and to stop the yo yo dieting. I want to develop the tools that will help me get the weight down and keep it down.

In this log i'll detail my training sessions and progress on my weight loss.

I will further on down the line, fingers crossed, set some race goals for 2015 but that's a long way away.

For now its one day at a time working on my unhealthy relationship with food and how we can change that.

Elvis lives but its time to kill fat Elvis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Welcome back
    No excuses now
    Vice thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Welcome back! So sorry to hear about your dear mother. Best of luck with the weightloss. As a yo-yo dieter myself I know how hard the battle is.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The King! Hes aliiive!

Good to see ya. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Welcome back!
    Good luck with the log
    Sorry to hear about your mam!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Its all about long and slow base training for the next few months. It will be HR zone based and i have a meeting tonight to work all that out.

Plan until the end of Jan is running, some turbos and a weekly TRX class trying to build some upper body strength for swimming when i start back in Feb.

Another thing i didn't mention above is that i'm still working away on my charity events and in July we held a marathon, half and 10k in Portarlington and we have another half and 10k in Nov. Looks like we'll raise roughly 11k for our charities in 2014 and plans are already underway for 2015.

• Advertisement

Busy few weeks work wise but i've kept to my diet and am down to 104.3kg as of today. The weight lose is coming along well and i only started back training today.

Nice slow steady 5k at lunch. Its been a few weeks since i've ran and it was tough but enjoyable.

I'm planning another 5k at lunch tomorrow and turbo tomorrow evening.

All training at the moment is focused on weight loss, fitness is a bonus.

My charity event in Nov just sold out as well which made me:)

420 runners for a half and 10k and could have sold more if we could get more medals in time !

Short turbo last night, i had to get off the bike and quit as i was on daddy duty and two of the kids woke. By the time i got them settled etc the evening was gone.

But i did do what i wanted when on the bike. Kept within the HR Zone needed and kept the legs spinning at the decent pace.

Run at lunch today, just a simple 5.5k but on a fairly hilly course so it was a good work out. No HR strap so just kept at a pace where my breathing was normal. It was slow but that's what winter base training is about.

Diet still good and quiet enough weekend ahead so i should get in at least one longer session.

Its been a while.............

I stepped away, i needed to. I've had a rough 2 years with my mam being sick, starting a new job and to top it all off its been discovered that i'm bi-polar as well so i had new meds to deal with.

I took a few months and spent time with my kids, went on a small holiday, caught up with some tv and all round just lived like a normal person for a while.

My weight stayed the same and fat Elvis stayed with us, i put on nothing and actually lost a few KG.

Now its time to get back on the horse and face the music.

I'm back running and doing 5k at lunch three times a week, i'm back in the pool next week and have dusted down the bike as well.

My diet is a lot better and its a simple focus on good healthy food and exercise.

I'm in for Joey on April 26th (sprint ) and the week before i'll make a decision on if i want to do The Lost Sheep.

I need a goal to work to and an event in September would give me focus until then.

The only negative i have are the new meds i'm on. The knock me out at night, getting out of bed is very tough and its something i'm going to have to do if i want to get in some sessions before work.

Anyway i'm back and looking forward to some sensible training for some sensible events !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Been a long hard road for you. Best of luck with all & mind yourself.

• Advertisement

Run at lunch yesterday, nothing special 6.1k with a lot of hills as its hard to find anywhere flat in Portlaoise to run.

Turbo tonight.......that is if i can remember how to cycle:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I know we didn't quite see eye to eye in the past but best of luck getting back to doing something.

Do something you enjoy, I'd prefer to run 5x5km each week because it is enjoyable.. getting up to swim 3 mornings a week wasn't etc..

mloc123 wrote: »
    I know we didn't quite see eye to eye in the past but best of luck getting back to doing something.

Do something you enjoy, I'd prefer to run 5x5km each week because it is enjoyable.. getting up to swim 3 mornings a week wasn't etc..

Cheers !

Its all about enjoyment this year, getting back to enjoying my training and to have that feeling of being itching to get into the pool or out on the road !

Got the bike out at the weekend and dusted it down, a short spin of 25k just to get out.

Legs were fine, bike was fine. With the long evenings coming i'm looking forward to spending more time out on the bike.

Finally back in the pool tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

You on the mike at Portlaois next week?

griffin100 wrote: »
    You on the mike at Portlaois next week?

Nope,

I've been told i'm not required !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Nope,

I've been told i'm not required !

Musical tastes have moved on.........;)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Musical tastes have moved on.........;)

My price stayed the same, they weren't happy so they went else where. To be honest i have nothing to do with trilogy at the moment, don't like how the club is run.

Run yesterday evening when i got home from work and i really enjoyed it. 6k at 6 min per km pace ( ok i know that's slow but its fairly fast and steady for me after 6 months off ).

It was the first run i've enjoyed in months and its nice to wake up this morning with slightly sore legs:)

I had hoped to swim at lunch but packed my bag only to realise on my way in that i left my shorts on the table:o:P so its going to be a quick spin on the bike after work !

No bike after work yesterday life got in the way. There was a load of house work to be done so i ended up tidying clothes when i should have been on my bike.

BUT i did ring and rejoin the pool this morning so its off to the pool at lunch ( and i did remember to bring my shorts ).

I've decided to have a weekly weigh in on a Thursday morning so i'll report that in the morning. I really have to shed some of this weight if i want to improve on times.

Losing weight as been tough for me for many reason.

1. I fcuking love food, its my vice !!!
    2. As the saying goes a minute on the lips, a lifetime on the hips. Well that's how my body works.
    3. My depression & being bi polar. Being bi polar brings extreme highs and lows and during both of these i eat...........i'm down, i eat - i'm up high, i eat.

Thankfully the new tablets will counter act that BUT one of their side effects is that they increase appetite which is kind of ironic BUT to counter that my diabetic tablets lower appetite...............man i'm fcuked up:D

Anyway such is life:)

• Advertisement

I forgot to add that my diet has been very good this week apart from when i went a lovely Pakistani restaurant in Clontraf last weekend............no guilt:D

Will i did it, for the first time since Aug 8th 2014 i swam:D

I was very nervous as i feel i'm starting from scratch again after getting to the height of my charity event in 2013.

Anyway it went a lot better than i thought, i did 1k in total broken up in 360m, 360m and 280m. It was slow and i just focused on my stroke and breathing.

As i got in i thought i wouldn't be able to do 2 lengths in a row without stopping but i managed 20 with relative ease !

It gave me great heart and i don't think this journey is going to be as hard as i believed.

Its full steam ahead now for Joey on April 26th, i won't break any records but it will give me platform to build on.

First weight in done and i'm 1.6kg down, i'm delighted with it. Ok when your my size you'll get some big movements in the first few week but on on my course with my 1st target with just 4.5kg left to shift by April 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Well done Claude Burgundy, that's great going in a short period of time. It sounds like you're super focused. Looking forward to following your progress, keep it going :)

Weather in Laois today is ugh so i headed for the pool instead of a run. As i got in i set myself a target of trying to do 1k non stop and i did it.

The swim itself was slow but my position, stroke and breathing was ok apart from the last few lengths.

My plan for the next week is to continue with the 1k session and then move onto some speed drills etc that i got in a mag.

All my swimming in the last 4 years was based on distance, building mainly to my 7.6k swim in 2013.

This year the longest swim i'll be doing is 1.9k for The Lost Sheep so i'm going to focus building speed once i'm up to that distance.

Run at lunch, one of my normal 6k routes. Its impossible to find a flat route in Portlaoise so you're always going to doing some hills on your run.

5:40 pace so 34 min flat for the run. Really happy with that, i'm a 104kg man who is only back running 2 weeks so anything under 6 min per km is a quality result at the moment.

Another busy weekend ahead with a gig tonight and tomorrow night as well.

I intend to get out on the bike tomorrow and there's a 10k on Sunday i might do if now i'll still get out for a run.

Diet is still good and my wife is doing Slimming World so that's what i'm eating a majority of daily. My main problem has always been sitting down in the evenings and eating crap so i'm fighting the demons there on a daily basis !

Busy weekend, left for work at 7am on Friday and didn't get home until 3am on Sat morning. Another busy day with family stuff meant no training on Saturday but my diet was perfect.

Working again Sat night and not in bed until 3:30am with the kids jumping on me at 9am on Sunday looking for me to cook pancakes:D

I was wrecked and no training was done:o

I did eat a chinese and some wine so not a great day overall.

Back in the pool at lunch today and a nice simple 1k. It was a lot easier and i could have done a lot more.

This week i'm going to start to work on some speed work building towards Joey on April 26th.

There's a local 8k on Friday evening that i'll do but in the morning i'll do a pull buoy session in the morning just to work on stroke/breathing/position etc.

I wrote out a long post this morning and my system crashed:mad:

I have to spilt it into 2 posts ! Anyway i haven't been posting but have been training.

Tuesday - Turbo, it was all about keeping the cadence high and spinning out those legs. Its about getting the muscles ready for the road !

Wen - Swim 1k, nice and handy nothing much to say about it.

Thursday - Turbo while starting to watch the box set of Game of Thrones. Same as above with the cadence high in a low gear.

Friday - I was meant to do a pull boy session in the morning but ended up bringing the kids to the cinema instead.

There was a local 8k on that evening and i was planning to run further than i've ran in 10 months and still be standing at the end line.

My aim was to hit 48 min ( i know that's seriously slow BUT ok for someone who hadn't ran further than 6k since last summer). Which would be 6 min per/km.

Long story short i crossed the end line in 43:11 with an average pace of 5:31 per/km which i was delighted with. I actually ran the second half a minute faster than the first.

Saturday my legs were a little sore but i got on the turbo and did an hour in a low gear and pushing the cadence as high as i could. The last 10 mins were a little ropey but i got through it.

Sunday I hit the turbo for a quick 30 min session just spinning out the legs at a lower cadence than other days but still breaking a sweat and getting some life back into my stiff legs.

I had a great Easter with my father coming down on Sunday and staying over. We went for a few drinks on Sunday evening and it was good to get him out and to relax after the tough time he's gone through.

Me I ate take aways, I drank booze and of course some chocolate. But i did train and kept the legs ticking over. Most important for me is i felt guilt, guilt if i didn't get up and train !!! I'm getting my mojo back and starting to enjoy myself.

I'm adding in some double sessions this week with an early morning turbo with a lunch swim and an evening run with a lunch swim.

I know i won't be down any weight this week but it would be nice to stay static after the good weekend !

• Advertisement

Easter came back and gave me a giant kick up the hole !!! I was up 1.5kg yesterday:(

Anyway i enjoyed my Easter and the hard work continues.

Tues & Wen i was on family duty with the good weather so no training but days like that are good for the mind and i find it hard to relax so i enjoyed it !

Run yesterday at lunch, didn't go great 5k at 5:49 per/km so slower than i've been running in the last few weeks. I found it very tough if i'm honest.

Run at lunch today again on the same route.

Advertisement