Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Contract Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

gufc21 wrote: »
    I guess every time you top up you enter a 1 month contract, ie. Free data, call, texts... whatever it may be.

So would it not apply to billpay too?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

So would it not apply to billpay too?

I would have thought so. Can't see why it doesn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Comreg finally got back to me on this and said it doesn't affect my contract, and when I sought further clarification another person responded saying it DOES affect my contract.

Well done comreg.

Has anyone written the letter to meteor that they can pass on? Useless at writing that stuff

Comreg finally got back to me on this and said it doesn't affect my contract, and when I sought further clarification another person responded saying it DOES affect my contract.

Well done comreg.

Did they have a recommendation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Well done comreg.

Can you post the email confirming that it does affect contract?

Be very interested to see this email too please.

Email trail below...

My initial email

Sent: 22 October 2014 22:37
    To: Consumer Line
    Subject: Directory Enquiries

Hi There,

Can you please confirm if the changes to the directory enquiry tariffs constitute a change in terms of conditions of a mobile bill pay contract (specifically Meteor). And if not, why not? I would have assumed any changes in tariffs, be it local or national calls/data or premium services, would be a change in T&C's?

Furthermore, if this does not constitute a change in T&Cs, would you have any idea why Meteor would feel the need to add the following to their PAYG notification?

Thanks,
    Me

First Reponse

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Consumer Line <consumerline@comreg.ie> wrote:
    Dear []...

Thank you for your email.

We confirm this change does not give existing billpay customers the right to cancel contracts without penalty; directory enquiries services are optional services and do not form part of consumer’s core contract (i.e. it is not a change to your minutes, text allowance, data etc…) so therefore you would not be able to cancel due to the new prices of directly enquiries calls that Meteor have chosen to introduce.

Regarding the prepay notice, you could query with Meteor why they put that notification up with the working they used; a prepay customer would be able to leave anytime anyway whether the prices were being charge or not.

Should you require any other information on ComReg, please let us know

Yours sincerely,

Claire O' Gorman

ComReg Consumer Management

My 2nd email

Sent: 30 October 2014 18:59
    To: Consumer Line
    Subject: Re: Directory Enquiries

Hi Claire,

Thank you for your response.

I am a little confused though. Are you saying Meteor can essentially change any tariff they want, as long as that tariff isn't included in my bundled package? So if I happen to call UK landlines a lot (which aren't part of my pack) and Meteor decide to up the price to €2.50 per minute, I have no option but to accept this?

Regards,
    Me

Last response from Comreg

Date: 4 Nov 2014 14:20
    Subject: RE: Directory Enquiries
    To: me
    Cc:

Dear [],

Thank you for your email.

Meteor are not the ones that have raise the directory inquires rates. Any change big or small would entitle you as Meteor customer to be left out of contract penalty free; so if it is not stated that they can leave you out of the contract due to this change then please lodge a formal complaint..

All customer should be given a 30 day window to quit the contract if they do not agree to increase in prices.

Yours sincerely,

Victoria Aldarwish

ComReg Consumer Management
    Commission for Communications Regulation

So basically they are saying that meteor have to be given the option not to include you in the prise rise and if they don't then it is a change in the t&c's and you can then cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

godtabh wrote: »
    Its not lieing. Its there interpretation of the law which appears to be flawed.

I've emailed to request a get out of contract. If that fails I'll go to comreg. When that fails I'll submit a small claims case. Seems to be fairly clear cut

Is it a big deal going to small claims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Is it a big deal going to small claims?

You'd never get that far. Normally asking for a "final response letter" gets you want you need.

I had to get one and handed it to Comreg. 2 days later, after being contacted by comreg, meteor bought me off to get rid of the issue with a good 24 month discount.

*different issue not related to this contract change/not contract change(whatever), just an example of one instance where meteor couldn't be bothered fighting a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mull13

I have a bill phone got the same text coupe of days ago was chatting to an operator on line about it and quoted the reg 17 rule and she said I would have to talk to cancellations tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Beer Baron wrote: »
    You'd never get that far. Normally asking for a "final response letter" gets you want you need.

I had to get one and handed it to Comreg. 2 days later, after being contacted by comreg, meteor bought me off to get rid of the issue with a good 24 month discount.

Cheers for the heads up. Feeling a little more confident about the process now.

Btw Meteor still haven't responded to my email to cancel. Must be 2 weeks at this stage.

Have just emailed Comreg there for a response myself.

I will then contact emobile. I received the change of charges text today so is it 30 days from today that I have?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seriously, is it that difficult to understand? They take a premium rate cost from a 3rd party to provide a service. The 3rd party are putting up the charge. Some expect the carrier to absorb the cost. If the cost was put it up to €20 per minute and you used it 100 times a month, do you think they would absorb it? In previous cases, other carriers have changed THEIR OWN rates, which then constitutes a change of contract.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Seriously, is it that difficult to understand? They take a premium rate cost from a 3rd party to provide a service. The 3rd party are putting up the charge. Some expect the carrier to absorb the cost. If the cost was put it up to €20 per minute and you used it 100 times a month, do you think they would absorb it? In previous cases, other carriers have changed THEIR OWN rates, which then constitutes a change of contract.
    There are 3rd parties involved for all rates. There's a cost to meteor for every call you make. If the cost to meteor goes up then the rates go up, what does it matter if it's a premium rate?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There are 3rd parties involved for all rates. There's a cost to meteor for every call you make. If the cost to meteor goes up then the rates go up, what does it matter if it's a premium rate?

How? Meteor have their own network.
    With roaming, every operator relies on everyone else not to act the maggot with price changes. With the premium services, its one way traffic, so they can do what they want to the operators.

How? Meteor have their own network.
    With roaming, every operator relies on everyone else not to act the maggot with price changes. With the premium services, its one way traffic, so they can do what they want to the operators.

Meteor have their own network, but Meteor customers don't just call other Meteor customers, they call people who belong to other networks too. It costs money to terminate a call on another network. Do you really think Meteor are making 100% profit on call traffic?

Meteor have their own network, but Meteor customers don't just call other Meteor customers, they call people who belong to other networks too. It costs money to terminate a call on another network. Do you really think Meteor are making 100% profit on call traffic?

Again, same principle as roaming. All carriers have an agreement to charge each other and not go nuts increasing the agreed rates. They all need each other, Premium rate suppliers don't.

• Advertisement

Again, same principle as roaming. All carriers have an agreement to charge each other and not go nuts increasing the agreed rates. They all need each other, Premium rate suppliers don't.

Well you didn't even seem to know that meteor had any costs at all before. Now you're telling us about an agreement they all have with each other. Excuse me for thinking you're talking through your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Well you didn't even seem to know that meteor had any costs at all before. Now you're telling us about an agreement they all have with each other. Excuse me for thinking you're talking through your hole.

So if I upgraded my phone a couple of months ago can I now use this as a reason to cancel my contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

So if I upgraded my phone a couple of months ago can I now use this as a reason to cancel my contract?

Correctto mondo .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

If they did agree to let you out, they would more than likely recall you phone also.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

If they did agree to let you out, they would more than likely recall you phone also.

so if they cancelled the contact i would have to return my phone?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

so if they cancelled the contact i would have to return my phone?

Cheers,
    Mick

Yes.

I wouldn't be as ignorant as yourself, but you were saying that every call incurs a cost from a 3rd party, so I'd go and check your own orifice while you're at it.

Not according to ComReg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This is some bargain alert thread alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭darrenking

Having read through the posts I'm still a little confused as to weather we can cancel or not I'd love to be able to cancel as I find emobile customer service appalling

Advertisement