Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company Dissolved

Options
  • 21-10-2014 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Whilst searching for the company's accounts earlier for the craic I was shocked to realise that the company I work for was dissolved almost 3 years ago. I had no notice of this whatsoever and I'm quite unsure where I now stand. If I was to get laid off are my entitlements reduced?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Things haven't been great at work recently so unsure about approaching the boss for fear of rocking the boat so to speak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

They could now be trading under a different name e.g. they may be know as Bob's Hardware locally and on invoices but the official company name could be Morrissey Hardward Supplies Ltd.

Check the company letter head, by law they have to have their official company name on that.

If in doubt I would ring the tax office to make sure you are down as an employee of them and your tax and prsi contributions are being paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭GLC

Meathlass wrote: »
    They could now be trading under a different name e.g. they may be know as Bob's Hardware locally and on invoices but the official company name could be Morrissey Hardward Supplies Ltd.

Check the company letter head, by law they have to have their official company name on that.

If in doubt I would ring the tax office to make sure you are down as an employee of them and your tax and prsi contributions are being paid.
    Yes I am aware of that, as was the case with my previous employer. Name above the door still says 'Said Company' Ltd as do the letterheads and invoices, yet according to Stubs Gazette we are no longer a limited company or exist as a company for that matter.

Just as a loss as to what happens with regards to my years worked previous to the company being dissolved. Should I of been offered redundancy then and if I were to be made redundant now are all those non existent.

My tax and prsi contributions are being paid.

Who are paying your tax and prsi now though? Could the tax office tell you has the name of your employer (unknown to you) changed in the years you've been working there?

Who are paying your tax and prsi now though? Could the tax office tell you has the name of your employer (unknown to you) changed in the years you've been working there?
    Paye and prsi contributions are still being made the same as always as if nothing has changed, same company. It appears the revenue have no real issue with it as long as they're receiving money.

But if the company is making payments to revenue then they must have a valid tax clearance cert and a valid tax number so how can they be dissolved.

• Advertisement

But if the company is making payments to revenue then they must have a valid tax clearance cert and a valid tax number so how can they be dissolved.
    So if the company is dissolved said tax number goes down with it even if the director continues to operate as a sole trader?

GLC wrote: »
    So if the company is dissolved said tax number goes down with it even if the director continues to operate as a sole trader?

I think so because he would have to register as a sole trader. There are totally different responsibilities on each type of business.

Perhaps ask in the entrepreneurial and business mgt forum - they're good on the intricacies of company make up over there!

I think so because he would have to register as a sole trader. There are totally different responsibilities on each type of business.

Perhaps ask in the entrepreneurial and business mgt forum - they're good on the intricacies of company make up over there!
    Ok I'll give that a shot thanks!

Advertisement