Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stag weekend in Prague

Options
  • 21-10-2014 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi, looking for any advice or recommendations for a stag weekend in Prague this weekend. It's for about 25 lads, who won't be looking for anything cultural!! Just looking for a heads up for places to try, or places to avoid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭septictank

Haven't been there before but the Wencelas square area seems to be where stags tend to go for the clubs :pac:'

What part of town are you staying in?

I'm heading over this weekend with a small group.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Opie

septictank wrote: »
    Haven't been there before but the Wencelas square area seems to be where stags tend to go for the clubs :pac:'

What part of town are you staying in?

I'm heading over this weekend with a small group.

We're staying close to Wenceslas Sq, but from what I've read, it's a bit of a ropey place. Then again, people say the same about Temple Bar!! Just wondering if there was any other spots worth trying.

Where are you staying yourself?

We'er about 20 minutes north of the W sq.
    None of us have been there before so will do the sight seeing early, head back to the hotel and get out about 6pm.

Have a look at this, I know he's a knob but some good hints.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVNGtB0NMy8

septictank wrote: »
    We'er about 20 minutes north of the W sq.
    None of us have been there before so will do the sight seeing early, head back to the hotel and get out about 6pm.

Have a look at this, I know he's a knob but some good hints.

All his hates are pretty much what we'll be after, so in a way, excellent advice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Opie wrote: »
    We're staying close to Wenceslas Sq, but from what I've read, it's a bit of a ropey place. Then again, people say the same about Temple Bar!! Just wondering if there was any other spots worth trying.

Where are you staying yourself?
    theres no real ropey places in Prague to be honest.

theres a bit of a problem with pickpockets but you dont have agressive scumbags out for a fight, or to rob you, like you do in Ireland

• Advertisement

Im sure its like every major city. Ive been reading a few horror stories but as you say, its probably no worse than Dublin. I just got the impression that Wenc Sq is a bit of a dive, and was wondering if there are any good drinking areas that arent just aimed to rip off tourists.

Im sure its like every major city. Ive been reading a few horror stories but as you say, its probably no worse than Dublin. I just got the impression that Wenc Sq is a bit of a dive, and was wondering if there are any good drinking areas that arent just aimed to rip off tourists.
    Prague in general just has pubs everywhere.
    Near Wences Square (more a road like o connell st) and the old town square in particular are dear. Also across toward the castle has its pricy places.

But wander a couple of blocks away from tourist central (say 5 minute walk) and theres still no lack of bars but for a fraction of the cost in tourist areas.
    Still, "expensive" is €4 a pint in tourist places compared to €1.50 to €2.50 a bit out of the way.

Yeah, €4 in the expensive places is still grand, i just dont want to neglect the €1 beers either!!

Yeah, €4 in the expensive places is still grand, i just dont want to neglect the €1 beers either!!
    indeed,
    just to illustrate what I mean, heres a place 600m, so 6min walk, from Wencles square and its a euro a beer (26 crowns) !
    http://www.pricnyrez.cz/en/drinks

Rocky o reillys just off the square is more like 2.50
    http://www.rockyoreillys.cz/food-and-drink-menus/drinks-menu

off the beaten path you'd be paying less than a euro, but with 25lads that might be too much of a stretch.

Thanks for the heads up. No doubt there will be a few shams looking for Magners Cider, so I can let them know that their punishment for that will be €4 a pint. Still cheaper than Temple Bar, so they cant complain too much!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up. No doubt there will be a few shams looking for Magners Cider, so I can let them know that their punishment for that will be €4 a pint. Still cheaper than Temple Bar, so they cant complain too much!!!
    you'd only ever see cider in an irish pub by the way

also, the beer in Prague is INFINITELY better than any auld gassy Bud or carlsberg thats available in ireland and also is way more drinkable than any craft beer which often are fairly rank to be honest.
    So should anyone protest too much that they cant get their cider, then they should consider at least giving the czech beer a go.
    At the very latest they'll have to drink beer (or extortionately priced spirits) later on should ye end up diverting via an establishment where theres scantily dresed ladies.

I'm on the continent now almost 15 years and I cant count how many come over, including women, saying they "hate beer" yet find that beer on the continent is a far nicer prospect than what passes for watery amber juice in Ireland, and they end up having no problem at all once they've actually given it a try (which sometimes takes persuation).

you'd only ever see cider in an irish pub by the way

also, the beer in Prague is INFINITELY better than any auld gassy Bud or carlsberg thats available in ireland and also is way more drinkable than any craft beer which often are fairly rank to be honest.
    So should anyone protest too much that they cant get their cider, then they should consider at least giving the czech beer a go.
    At the very latest they'll have to drink beer (or extortionately priced spirits) later on should ye end up diverting via an establishment where theres scantily dresed ladies.

I'm on the continent now almost 15 years and I cant count how many come over, including women, saying they "hate beer" yet find that beer on the continent is a far nicer prospect than what passes for watery amber juice in Ireland, and they end up having no problem at all once they've actually given it a try (which sometimes takes persuation).

I agree about the beer, it won't bother me drinking the local brew, but from past experience I know a few will end up looking for Magners. We were in Frankfurt a couple of years back and after a couple of days we couldn't get some of the lads to leave the Irish bar!! Won't be staying there myself, I'm happy to drink the beer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Broom16

Hi,

Im organizing a stag and we are going to prague..25 of us. Im thinking of staying in a hostel near Old town, What's the night life in old town like? Anyone have any good hostels to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Broom16 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im organizing a stag and we are going to prague..25 of us. Im thinking of staying in a hostel near Old town, What's the night life in old town like? Anyone have any good hostels to stay?

There are loads of self catering apartments around the old town that are very reasonable. Lots of our lads stayed in the old town square apartments. Location was good on the edge of the old town but also just a short stroll to Wenceslas Square. The old town is good for a mix of "expensive" tourist pubs and local cheap pubs. We found ourselves ending most of our nights along Dlouha and it's connecting streets which had plenty of choice of night spot.

Hi Broom 16
    Did you go over yet, if so have you anything to report.

I'm going over again in a month or so, any tips.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just back from a 24 man stag.will post later and give a bit of detail

That would be great, I know a good bit as was there 2 years ago but we are going to a new part of town area 2, sure there isn't much differance from area 1, maybe cheaper?

we are in our 50s but a bit mad if you know what I meen, won't be hanging with strippers down w sq but you never know.

Nice food good beer, do the sights again, maybe do the segway tour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There was 24 of us. My brother was the stag( hes 28 most of the lads were that age too) A mate of mine came along (both 34).

My friend wanted to be able to get proper sleep, so we did AIRBNB, 5 mins from old square, the rest stayed in the Old Town Square Apartments which are obviously at the old square.

We were on a 5 day stag :pac:

Plenty of Irish Bars if thats your thing, the Staropramen is nice, Bulmers is €6-€7 if you like cider.

Drink in local bars, the beer museum is very nice and has good beer for 40 crowns (about €1.50) food is nice and cheap too.

You will not get into a nightclub with stag t shirts, or if 20 lads go up at once.
    Nightclubs are imo cheap enough for drink. We didnt do anything touristy tbh, but did wander around quite a bit.

Harleys bar is quite good, we spent a fair bit of time there

You must have been in the same area as us the last time, 5 days , right chancers
    we missed the beer museum. we stayed in the grand majestic plaza, right across the road is a local pub, and I mean local pub, some craic they took to us like I don't know what. fixed their plumbing one night no money needed after that.

It's a great city, never done the night life as I'm oldish, where to go places to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I'm heading off on a stag to Krakow soon and I was wondering as anyon been and any tips.

We are considering doing the stag kidnap prank - anyone know if its worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Moved to travel section.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

Hi

I am looking to organise a stag in Prague for about 15 lads. I am wondering if anyone has any information on the follow or has any experience/advice:
    • How would I go about booking a stag abroad? Should I do it myself or go through a company like stagit.ie. I can see they organise some things but what about flights.
    • What would the average price per person for something like this? Fights, Accommodation included
    • When is the best time to go? I was thinking the April 20th. The wedding is on start of June.
    • What is it like for group of lads to get into bars?
    • What is the price of drink/food like?

Any help would be great really racking my head. Other option would be Newcastle. I am sick of Liverpool Stags

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod note:

I've merged threads, but note also one from AfterHours here.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement