Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World of Ice & Fire

• 21-10-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

Anyone getting this when it comes out?
    UK release is 28th October- are Irish bookshops stocking it on this date aswell?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I haven't asked for it yet but I strongly suspect this'll be my Christmas present from my wife this year! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sleepy wrote: »
    I haven't asked for it yet but I strongly suspect this'll be my Christmas present from my wife this year! :D
    Likewise!

Came very close to pre-ordering it last week. Decided to hold off. Definitely want it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

Giving this a bump to see what you guys thought of it? I got it for Christmas from himself and I thought that I'd race through it, but not the case at all. I have only just finished the history of the Targs and I am not that motivated to pick it up again (although I know I will finish it, because I cannot leave a book unread/half-finished).

I'd be interested to see what other people in this forum thought of it - maybe I just need to get my head down and push through it! I sometimes find that GRRMs books are more rewarding on a third/fourth read to be fair :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm about half-way through... I find the physical size of the book to be limiting my opportunities to read it but refuse to get the kindle version as the illustrations are beautiful.

It's really for those uber-fans who spend time on the ASOIAF forums etc. and there seem to be many references to theories put forward by them (e.g. the maester dismissing the "stories of the small folk" about a dragon being the source of the hot springs at Winterfell.

The History of the Targaryens was interesting but the structure seemed a little confusing, I frequently had to flip back and forth to recall which Daeron, Daemon or Aegon was being referred to etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Likewise, because it's physically big I haven't given it the time it deserves.

I've enjoyed what I've read, though, picking it up every now and again. I have this book too from years back that I dig out every year before the new season of GOT starts. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement