Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harry Redknapp

• 21-10-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Harry "taarabt is 3 stone overweight"
    Taarabt "nuh huh"
    Harry " hes the worst pro ever"
    QPR owner "STFU both of you"

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29699434
    Taarabt and Redknapp's public row
    Sunday 19 October
    Redknapp accuses Taarabt of being "three stone overweight" in the post-match news conference following QPR's 3-2 injury-time defeat by Liverpool.
    Tuesday 21 October (Morning)
    In an interview with the Daily Mail, Taarabt defends his fitness, showing off his stomach in photographs, and saying he was "fuming" when not selected.
    Tuesday 21 October (Afternoon)
    Redknapp hits back at Taarabt in an interview with the Sun, saying the Moroccan is the "worst professional I have ever come across".
    Tuesday 21 October (Evening)
    QPR chairman Tony Fernandes calls for an end to the public row and apologises for the "embarrassment" to the club's fans.

In light of Harrys recent display of man management skills, Will Adel suddenly turn the corner and save QPR single handedly or will Harry get the sack?

If I called someone who worked for me the worst worker ever in public we would be sued and he/she would win :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

short term:
    Adel to get games, look good for a few mins and let the game bypass him.

Long term:
    Hopefully QPR get relegated and 'Arry is sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Taarabt is far from 3 stone over weight but he certainly doesn't look like someone who puts in the anything more than the minimum effort to make it over the line.

Redknapp should have kept his gob shut though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

GavRedKing wrote: »
    short term:
    Adel to get games, look good for a few mins and let the game bypass him.

Long term:
    Hopefully QPR get relegated and 'Arry is sacked.

Regarding Long Term I wonder if they get relegated will the Football League slap them with the fine they escaped through promotion?

Pressure on Harry must be huge, but he still feels he can do a better job than the names he read linked to his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I've always liked Arry but not sure why. His judgement must be questioned not just for publicly criticising his player...but his signing of rio Ferdinand is baffling...

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Taarabt is far from 3 stone over weight but he certainly doesn't look like someone who puts in the anything more than the minimum effort to make it over the line.

Redknapp should have kept his gob shut though.

He doesn look like the ideal shape to be pro footballer, he mentions he was about 84kgs at ACMilan, for a guy whos what, 5'8, thats pretty stocky for his size. Granted alot of that weight is in his thighs but you kind of hit the nail on the head.

Does he burst his bo**ocks in training or just showboat expecting to get by on his talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

wouldnt be a huge Harry fan and while his comments were OTT and incorrect, i get the feeling that the player in question has to say the least, attitude problems.

theres 100's of players stealing a living in top flight football and i believe this is one of them. he has talent no doubt, but he thinks he is gods greatest gifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have no issue with Redknapp's comments on him initially, I would think its born out of frustration from the knowledge of what Taarabt could be bringing to the team at the moment if he would apply himself more. I applaud that sort of honesty from managers, not coming out every week bashing players or anything like that, but eventually just leaving the stock answer behind and telling the truth, or at least the managers interpretation of the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Redknapp was right to question Taraabt, for such a quality player his attitude is appalling. Poor work rate and terrible attitude amongst their players is what relegated QPR last time, so trying to reduce the chances of that happening again can only be beneficial.

Fair play to Harry for calling it as it is, you don't see that enough these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

A managerial dinosaur who has no place in the modern game. Claims to be a brilliant man manager but has no qualms in hanging his players out to dry to distract from his failings as a manager. Remember how he went to town on Darren Bent after he missed an easy chance for Spurs? An absolute clown of a man.

A fraud, a sham of a manager and a compulsive liar, as his court case proved. As an Arsenal fan it always irked me how he was fawned over for his fantastic "achievements" with Spurs, which amounted to Champions League qualification with a squad that cost millions. The same press that hammered Wenger for "only" accomplising the same thing despite spending a fraction of what Redknapp shelled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

He doesn look like the ideal shape to be pro footballer, he mentions he was about 84kgs at ACMilan, for a guy whos what, 5'8, thats pretty stocky for his size. Granted alot of that weight is in his thighs but you kind of hit the nail on the head.

Does he burst his bo**ocks in training or just showboat expecting to get by on his talent.

I would say he is probably close to 6 foot. Definitely taller than 5'8". 84kg doesn't seem that big really.

• Advertisement

srfc d16 wrote: »
    I would say he is probably close to 6 foot. Definitely taller than 5'8". 84kg doesn't seem that big really.

A quick Google has thrown up his height as most likely to be 5'10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Sham manager, carried by a good squad of players at Spurs. Once QPR are inevitably relegated this will be his last big job in the prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

A quick Google has thrown up his height as most likely to be 5'10.

I suppose we can split the difference so.
    I am 5'8" and I was pretty certain he looked a fair bit bigger than me.
    Which to be fair isn't difficult icon10.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Terrible manager and another example of a Moroccan with a ****load of talent and a terrible mentality.
    Add in the The Sun and The Daily mail and this should be on the showbizz pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

The whole situation was handled stupidly. There was no need for Harry to publicly have a go in the first place. It should have been kept behind the scenes unless Taraabt opened his mouth first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

keano_afc wrote: »
    A managerial dinosaur who has no place in the modern game. Claims to be a brilliant man manager but has no qualms in hanging his players out to dry to distract from his failings as a manager. Remember how he went to town on Darren Bent after he missed an easy chance for Spurs? An absolute clown of a man.

A fraud, a sham of a manager and a compulsive liar, as his court case proved. As an Arsenal fan it always irked me how he was fawned over for his fantastic "achievements" with Spurs, which amounted to Champions League qualification with a squad that cost millions. The same press that hammered Wenger for "only" accomplising the same thing despite spending a fraction of what Redknapp shelled out.

I agree, but on the other hand if a player who's on tens of thousands of pound a week cant even get physically fit to play the game i'd class him as nothing more than a cheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Which is why player contracts still matter. If I ran a club or ran a legal department at a club, you could be damned sure I would have clauses about the players conditioning.

Players ballooning up while out injured or on summer holidays is unacceptable in the modern game, with the amount they are paid. I would be inserting clauses into the contracts stipulating fines if it happened and a cancellation of contract if it happened repeatedly.

If QPR continue to pay his wages than more fool them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nothing wrong with a manager calling out a lazy player and making an example of him. All indications are that Taraabt is next to unmanageable, it's good to see him getting some stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Kirby wrote: »
    Which is why player contracts still matter. If I ran a club or ran a legal department at a club, you could be damned sure I would have clauses about the players conditioning.

Players ballooning up while out injured or on summer holidays is unacceptable in the modern game, with the amount they are paid. I would be inserting clauses into the contracts stipulating fines if it happened and a cancellation of contract if it happened repeatedly.

If QPR continue to pay his wages than more fool them.

But its clearly not as simple as that. In many cases the clubs are trying to buy valuable commodities, at that level they aren't always able to dictate terms and conditions of contract to the extent you might wish.

I'd say there are thousands of professional footballers that do indeed have performance related clauses in their contracts. But if Lionel Messi were available a club would have to be very careful about offering a contract weighed down with clauses that let them sack him if he doesn't meet their fitness standards, for the obvious reason that if they did they would never get him. Taarabt is certainly no Messi but the concept still applies, he probably would not have signed a contract that included the type of arbitrary conditions you suggest.

Thats why they are contract negotiations, and the top players still have a hell of a lot of bargaining power. Not to mention the fact that no club is going to just sack a player worth millions of pounds without very good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I wonder in morocco do they view him as potentially as good as Messi, just a series of club managers wouldn't pick him?

Similar to the Andy Reid situation here

• Advertisement

I agree, but on the other hand if a player who's on tens of thousands of pound a week cant even get physically fit to play the game i'd class him as nothing more than a cheat.

I agree, but not publicly. All it does is embarrass the club and all parties concerned. It shows that the manager is incapable of behaving responsibly in my opinion. And in Redknapp's case the cap definitely fits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am pie wrote: »
    Sham manager, carried by a good squad of players at Spurs. Once QPR are inevitably relegated this will be his last big job in the prem.
    That's a ridiculous thing to say. Spurs were nowhere near CL football when he took over and have been nowhere near since he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Nice of 'Arry to call somebody lazy when he goes out and hires other coaches to do his work for him.

Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Redknapp was right to call it out. He has obviously been taking the piss for some time. He might have his failings but at least he hasn't poked an opposing manager in the eye, unlike Mourinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Spurs were nowhere near CL football when he took over and have been nowhere near since he left.

He had our best team ever and still messed it up not buying a Striker,messing around with England and not knowing how to rotate.

A good manager would have finished right behind City/Utd in 2012 or possibly won the league that year with that squad of Modric/VDV/Bale/King/.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

Classic deflection techniques from 'Arry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

To say they were nowhere near before or since is stretching it, they were one game away from it under Jol and AVB got a higher points total than Harry but was unfortunate to have better performing teams above him that season than Harry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Stop ruining the discussion by bringing up facts Derek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Was watching the Spurs game last night and kept seeing an ad for some dodgy betting website with Redknaapp doing his cheeky chappie routine.

Thought it was kinda pathetic to be honest, you wouldn't have seen Fergie or Wenger doing an ad like that. I've no problem at all with managers doing media work but come on, pimping yourself out in a cheap ad for some betting website, wheres the class?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

wheres the class?
    I don't think that word and Redknapp belong in the same sentence. This was a man who had an off shore bank account in his dog's name.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/10/harry-redknapp-mischief-makers-qpr-resignation

So Honest Harry was lying all along about why he left QPR. I for one am absolutely shocked that the reasons this proven liar gave for ditching his club when they needed him were not true.

Other highlights include:
    "I've enjoyed my break. I wouldn't want to do anything until next season and it would depend if anything interesting comes up. I'd like to go somewhere where I've got half a chance of doing something. If it wasn't in the Premier League, I'd want to go to a club that could get promoted. I wouldn't want to be stuck down the bottom, messing around all the time"

Leaving your club in the middle of a relegation battle = messing around. I'm sure QPR fans will be delighted with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

keano_afc wrote: »
    Leaving your club in the middle of a relegation battle = messing around. I'm sure QPR fans will be delighted with that.

In fairness, he didn't actually say that. I think he was referring to Championship sides "messing around" and he'd only consider managing a Championship team if they were promotion material.

I liked this nugget though, "However, Redknapp, who also claimed he did not fall out with the chairman Tony Fernandes because of the club’s lack of business in the January transfer window, added: “I felt I’d have kept them up.”"

Ah yes, there will always be that "what if?". Silver lining for Harry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Aenaes wrote: »
    In fairness, he didn't actually say that. I think he was referring to Championship sides "messing around" and he'd only consider managing a Championship team if they were promotion material.

I liked this nugget though, "However, Redknapp, who also claimed he did not fall out with the chairman Tony Fernandes because of the club’s lack of business in the January transfer window, added: “I felt I’d have kept them up.”"

Ah yes, there will always be that "what if?". Silver lining for Harry.
    Sure look, nobody should be in management if they believe otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Redknapp really has the whiff of relic about him now - he looks ancient and frankly unhealthy and surely would be behind so many other much younger and rising available managers now.

Eddie Howe, Kenny Jacket, Karl Robinson, Mark Cooper, Steve McClaren, Garry Monk, Steve Clarke, Dougie Freedman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

CSF wrote: »
    Sure look, nobody should be in management if they believe otherwise.

Yeah, I get your point. Surely he should have stayed if he thought he could help them survive the drop?

If they do get relegated and it's looking extremely likely, then I think it must seem annoying to QPR fans/staff etc., for Harry to wash his hands of them and then go "oh yeah, I could have kept them up".

It's almost a bit tasteless too, comparing his tenure which he likens as a soap opera at times with lots of distracting media coverage, whole club not fully behind him to Ramsey's reign which apparently has the full backing of everyone at the club.

So if they get relegated, Harry and QPR at less than 100% is better than Ramsey and QPR at 100%.
    Redknapp really has the whiff of relic about him now - he looks ancient and frankly unhealthy and surely would be behind so many other much younger and rising available managers now.

Eddie Howe, Kenny Jacket, Karl Robinson, Mark Cooper, Steve McClaren, Garry Monk, Steve Clarke, Dougie Freedman.

Slight whiff of ageism there :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement