Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

lexus gs 300 ?????

Options
  • 21-10-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

dilemma
    i have a mint gs 300 sport 1999 model ,just past its nct and had less than 600 miles since last test ! 2 owners from new ,service history ,blah,blah
    anyway ,my question is ,as i love the car,only use it now and then ,its not worth the price of a years tax -1400 odd euro !
    should i sell it, store it , scrap it, export it or what
    these cars are being taken off the roads everyday because of roas tax alone
    must be someone on here with similar cars and dont know what to do ?
    thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wtawfick

kn1 wrote: »
    dilemma
    i have a mint gs 300 sport 1999 model ,just past its nct and had less than 600 miles since last test ! 2 owners from new ,service history ,blah,blah
    anyway ,my question is ,as i love the car,only use it now and then ,its not worth the price of a years tax -1400 odd euro !
    should i sell it, store it , scrap it, export it or what
    must be someone on here with similar cars and dont know what to do ?
    thanks for any replies

I'm in the exact same boat as you.To be honest I don't know what's the right thing to do.

I've got a Jaguar S-Type (2000 model) 3 litre petrol. In absolute mint condition & definitely in much better condition than a few 2 or 3 year old cars. Only hit the 100,000 kilometers this year. Again, I'm only the second owner on the car & I personally knew the guy who had it from new, so I'm 100% certain of the low mileage. Full service history with the Jaguar dealer (even at this old age of the car). The beauty about the S-Type, is that it has a classic look to it (which was old to start with), so it ages well, and never looks dated.

I've been questioning myself for the past 3 years, if it's worth paying the €1500 tax, just to keep it on the road. I end up paying it, because I can't find anything that would come close to it on the market, unless I buy a brand new car (now starting to think along those lines).

Unfortunately, the only value for the car would be as a trade in, trying to use it as leverage to get a discount on a new car. Looking at the same car in the market, it's going for €800 to €1500 as a private sale!!!!

That's why so far I've been paying the tax & consider it as if I've bought myself a luxury car every year for the price of the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

I have a 1993 celica GTi in storage since 2008 because of the high tax & insurance i was paying at the time but i can now get it onto my classic policy (up to 5 cars) for a few extra quid,but no way paying over €700 to tax it, if we paid road tax like the UK for 90s classics it wouldnt be a problem i would be using the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wtawfick

I have a 1993 celica GTi in storage since 2008 because of the high tax & insurance i was paying at the time but i can now get it onto my classic policy (up to 5 cars) for a few extra quid,but no way paying over €700 to tax it, if we paid road tax like the UK for 90s classics it wouldnt be a problem i would be using the car!

You see, a 1993, is now close to being classified as a classic, whereas my Jag still has another 10 years to go. Similar with the OP.

Just out of interest (as I have no experience with this), where & how can I store the car? I don't have a garage at home to do it myself. Is there a way to do it professionally & if anyone knows, how much would it roughly cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kn1

same storage problem as me so !!
    to build a garage for it does not make sense and I think if I did store it I will lose intrest in the car and whats the point in having it then
    as it has no tax for over a year now im afraid it may get taken if the law catch me !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

There should be a reduced motor tax rate for vehicles in the 20 - 30 year old age group.

Even if the current applicable rates were halved it would keep many excellent cars in part-time useage e.g. taxed for six months, or for the summer months, instead of being in storage (or worse, being exported!). It would be a win-win situation for the govt due to extra Road Tax income, NCT fees, VAT on parts, etc etc.

Probably never happen though!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kn1 wrote: »

I feel your pain, been there myself and many of the other posters in here too :(

Many of these cars are perfectly good, safe and environmentally friendly (because driven only so many miles per year) and yet they are scrapped because of the tax

I've no answers for you, as there are no answers. The car is not worth enough to export, the car will not increase in value much if at all and vintage tax is another 15 years away (at which stage it could well be gone). The car is worth less than a grand if you sell it.

The only bit of light is that the car is now 15 years old. If you have another car as a daily driver (or your partner has one), it might be possible to insure it as a classic (about €100-€200). Then maybe tax it for 3 month per year, or maybe the summer, or just bite the bullet and pay the years tax?

Or LPG it and use it as your daily driver for years to come. The saving in fuel (cheaper than driving a 2l diesel of similar age) will pay for the tax...

Advertisement