Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit query

Options
  • 21-10-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I went to view a room this evening and I am going to take it. The tennant that is moving out is who I dealt with and she told me we pay the rent into the landlord account which is fine. As regards the deposit she said I pay that to her can this be right or how does this work? If I wanted to move out then does that mean I would get no deposit back or I would need to find a tennant before leaving in order to get the deposit? Any one ever been in a similar situation? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Usually you'll have to find a new person to replace yourself in order to get you deposit back. I've been in a few houses like this, in the last one I left I gave the new tenant the name and contact details of the person on the original lease in addition to mine in the case everyone moves out together and they have issues getting the original deposit back but in my experience there's never been an issue getting the original back as long as the house is in a decent state handing back to the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If the previous tenant has caused damage then it will come from your deposit unless you do the same as her.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,260 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah first thing you need is a copy of the inventory from when the last tennant moved in.

Then go through the process of making sure that everything is in order. What if the last Tennant moved out and took the curtains.That's the landlord's jobs so I would be very wary of that arrangement. Call the landlord and ask for an inventory. Give them the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There are many landlords who operate like this so they don't have to worry about the turnover of people in the house, however I'd always avoid paying a deposit to someone who's leaving as you have no record with the landlord who has the actual deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Yeah first thing you need is a copy of the inventory from when the last tennant moved in.

Then go through the process of making sure that everything is in order. What if the last Tennant moved out and took the curtains.That's the landlord's jobs so I would be very wary of that arrangement. Call the landlord and ask for an inventory. Give them the deposit.

As a landlord myself, I let the tenants sort the deposit. The new tenant sent a inventory/comments, which I signed. I also offered to do an inspection when the new tenant moved in, which they didn't take up - so any damage (if applicable) will be deemed to have happened post the change in tenancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,260 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

As a landlord myself, I let the tenants sort the deposit. The new tenant sent a inventory/comments, which I signed. I also offered to do an inspection when the new tenant moved in, which they didn't take up - so any damage (if applicable) will be deemed to have happened post the change in tenancy

Wow that's crazy. Fair enough if that's what they want but I'd never agree to take on that risk from the previous tenant.

OP I'd only be interested in giving the landlord a deposit after they have done an inspection and itemised everything in every room in the house, flaws and all. Then I know exactly what I need to do to put the house back to the way it was in the beginning. Removes all the guessing and if I break something I know I need to replace it.

I just moved last month after a 2 year tenancy and was very glad we had a detailed inventory. We made a lot of superficial changes to the house so it made things so easy to put back. It worked out great for the ll too as they go their house back exactly as they gave it to us.

Advertisement