Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord has asked me to sign a PRTB1 form - advice please

Options
  • 21-10-2014 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi
    I have been renting the same place for the last 8 yrs. My landlord came to me today and asked me to sign a PRTB1 form and he inserted the date of commencement of tenancy as 10-10-14. He says that they want him to re-register. I have a copy of a letter from the PRTB back in 2007 stating that my landlord has registered my tenancy for the same address I'm living in. However I just checked the published register of rented houses / apts and my address is not listed. He also suggested putting my wife's name in the tenant section of the PRTB1 form. Does it leave me in a vulnerable position re my rights as a tenant? I'm just a little bit suspicious.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

The PRTB1 form used to register a tenancy does not require the tenant's input, the landlord can complete it himself. There is no where on it requesting or to put a tenant's signature. So I am not sure what you actually did there.

If you are in the place 8 years then he may be registering your second Further Part 4 tenancy. Each Part 4 tenancy lasts 4 years and he is required to register each one separately. The commencement date of the Further Part 4 tenancy is the date that the preceding (Further) Part 4 tenancy period expired so a date this month does not seem wrong.

If you have a PRTB letter confirming your initial tenancy then that is that, he complied with the registration requirements at the outset of your tenancy. The online list of registered tenancies has a poor reputation (whether true or not) for accuracy. Another possibility is that he registered your first four years there but overlooked registering your first Further Part 4 Tenancy (years 5-8) so you were removed from the list. Who knows.

Whether or not your tenancy has been registered with the PRTB by the landlord does not affect your legal rights or responsibilities as a tenant whatsoever. I don't see anything here to concerned about. On the contrary, sounds like your landlord is being very straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Dgriff

xper wrote: »
    The PRTB1 form used to register a tenancy does not require the tenant's input, the landlord can complete it himself. There is no where on it requesting or to put a tenant's signature. So I am not sure what you actually did there.

If you are in the place 8 years then he may be registering your second Further Part 4 tenancy. Each Part 4 tenancy lasts 4 years and he is required to register each one separately. The commencement date of the Further Part 4 tenancy is the date that the preceding (Further) Part 4 tenancy period expired so a date this month does not seem wrong.

If you have a PRTB letter confirming your initial tenancy then that is that, he complied with the registration requirements at the outset of your tenancy. The online list of registered tenancies has a poor reputation (whether true or not) for accuracy. Another possibility is that he registered your first four years there but overlooked registering your first Further Part 4 Tenancy (years 5-8) so you were removed from the list. Who knows.

Whether or not your tenancy has been registered with the PRTB by the landlord does not affect your legal rights or responsibilities as a tenant whatsoever. I don't see anything here to concerned about. On the contrary, sounds like your landlord is being very straight up.

Thanks for your reply. I'll hang on to the PRTB letter confirming my initial tenancy. The PRTB1 form that I'm looking at does require the tentant's signature: Part 3, Section 20 (Tentant Signature). Maybe I'm making a bigger deal of it than necessary. I just feel uneasy signing my name to a form that states I started my tenancy last week when in fact I started it 8 yrs ago. If there wasn't a Tenant Signature box, I wouldn't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Hmmm, odd. The PRTB1 form is available for download on the PRTB website from this page. Maybe your landlord has an old version of the form? The notes linked from that will also explain why he's using a recent date for registration a Further Part 4 Tenancy.

Advertisement