Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will my new address be - rural location!

Options
  • 21-10-2014 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I will shortly be moving to a house that I've recently bought. It's in a rural location, about 1.5 Km outside a very small village.

The person selling the house will be living in a new property he has built, right next door to the property I'm moving into.

My question is, what address should I be putting on utility bills and how do I let Eircom etc know exactly which property I am moving to. I've never before moved to a property that didn't at least have a house number...out here it seems as though people use their name and the townland to identify their house :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I will shortly be moving to a house that I've recently bought. It's in a rural location, about 1.5 Km outside a very small village.

The person selling the house will be living in a new property he has built, right next door to the property I'm moving into.

My question is, what address should I be putting on utility bills and how do I let Eircom etc know exactly which property I am moving to. I've never before moved to a property that didn't at least have a house number...out here it seems as though people use their name and the townland to identify their house :confused:

That's exactly it. Name, townland, and town/village of the closest post office (or historical post office). You could always give the house a name though, to make the post mans job easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

That's exactly it. Name, townland, and town/village of the closest post office (or historical post office). You could always give the house a name though, to make the post mans job easier.

that's what I'd be doing.
    could be wrong but someone told me before that it costs a fare bit to classify your house address with a name..
    anyone care to enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

djflawless wrote: »
    that's what I'd be doing.
    could be wrong but someone told me before that it costs a fare bit to classify your house address with a name..
    anyone care to enlighten me?

We just put a name on the wall outside and when signing up for bills put the house name in the first address. It mightn't be 'official' but post still gets delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You can ring the local post office, or post office of the nearest town, and let them know the score. I did that when my son was born, because we have no name or number on our house, and he has a different surname to me, and otherwise the postman would have had no hope of knowing what to do with his post!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ask the seller for the address.

He would have got stuff delivered in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jlm29 wrote: »
    You can ring the local post office, or post office of the nearest town, and let them know the score. I did that when my son was born, because we have no name or number on our house, and he has a different surname to me, and otherwise the postman would have had no hope of knowing what to do with his post!
    I think you underestimate the skillset of rural postal workers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

And they're overestimating the amount of post a newborn baby gets...

irish_goat wrote: »
    And they're overestimating the amount of post a newborn baby gets...

Obviously we weren't expecting a load of mail for him, but they do get post... BCG appointments, eye clinic appt etc. it's hard to know the day and time to show up to these places if the letters addressed to "the parents/guardians of xx xx" are sitting in the sorting office undelivered!

You've obviously got a different postman to me- our post is frequently mixed up with neighbours, cousins, my brother next door. There's several houses with the same surname. And some of the people in those houses get letters for us and "forget" to drop them up for several weeks or months, or else they open them first, and then drop them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 marie rosanna

Same for me recently. Have Street name but no number. You can name your house or as I did, call to local post office and give them your name and location. It works. 2 days later I had a letter from the TV licence inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

You've obviously got a different postman to me- our post is frequently mixed up with neighbours, cousins, my brother next door. There's several houses with the same surname. And some of the people in those houses get letters for us and "forget" to drop them up for several weeks or months, or else they open them first, and then drop them up.
    Postcodes when they come in next year, might help with that problem as each house will have its own code. Eircode

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That's what you get for being a Ryan in Tipperarary or a Ward in Tuam :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Same for me recently. Have Street name but no number. You can name your house or as I did, call to local post office and give them your name and location. It works. 2 days later I had a letter from the TV licence inspector.

ouch.

Advertisement