Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards League Banter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

duffman13 wrote: »
    It's not a tactic I've used myself, haven't got the patience, wouldn't bother me really though, like anything if someone catches me once I'll try and adapt to prevent reoccurrence.

Exactly reply I was gonna say myself.. it's been used on me countless times in this league and I've no problem with it. It's how to defend where I have gotten used to. I'm sure we've all done it in the league same as what was done on me including tip off runs, last man pull backs, long balls to fast players, quick 1 touch passes up the pitch etc...

I haven't complained about any of it cause it's something that's always been in fifa and always will be.. I go to the by line or dribble in to box with zenit cause my 2 best players are hulk and danny. If I get to the by line am I supposed to shoot from that angle at the line marking? Or try pick out a teammate?

It's been taken too seriously it's a bit of crack

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It's been taken too seriously it's a bit of crack

Tip of goals were already mentioned last year, cut backs are just another form of using lousy tactics to get a goal. Your comment is ironic because if people played it for a bit of craic they wouldnt use lousy tactics over and over to win at all costs...its supposed to be played sporting manner and be a bit of craic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Axwell wrote: »
    When its all the player attempts to do its not a once off or because they found themselves in that position.

well obviously that's a bit ****ty

Well I never knew it was a "tactic"... First I've heard of it.

I'm going to use strengths of my two best players when up against stronger and better sides. In this case I use their pace and skill levels. I haven't got the sort of players who can score me 30 yard screamers..

Played in hundreds of online and forum leagues and never have I heard of this being a "tactic" or an easy way of scoring? Surely when I've just the 1 man up front against roughly 3 or 4 defenders the striker should be well marked and can't get the chance to finish off the effort..

Also short corners theirs another tactic that is constantly being used.. Its not something I over use either it's not as if I'm near the top of the league.. I shall refrain from doing it anymore..

While we're at it we should make out a list so everyone is clear on what is and what's not sporting behavior in fifa..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Unfortunately people will still play unsportingly list or not. Last season we said tip of goals were bad form and a glitch so dont do them, doesnt stop people trying them still. its a bit of craic, no prize for first place (and prizes were something i had the option to give people before but because people cant play sportingly they were never offered).

Bottom line people will always score goals that annoy people but spamming them is a **** way to play and people should have more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Historically the pull back or sweaty goal isn't as described above. It's when you're one on one with the keeper and you play it across instead of shooting. If someone dribbled past defenders and gets to the by-line then that's using skill. Nothing cheesy about it IMO and tbh this seems like sour grapes to me. Is it any worse than shooting near post, or using the chip shots which are overpowered this year?!? Crossing had been heavily nerfed this season so good wing play is left with less options for how to score.

The above complaint doesn't sound remotely like spamming through balls or sweaty goals to me. It sounds like someone using skill and then having no other real option... Surely if they're just hitting the touch line it's easy to force them over the line or into where your defender is anyway.

Cjayses wrote: »
    Every Friday so? I played you yesterday and Huntelaar was on 82, Meyer 79, Howedes 82, Hoger 76. Now they're 80, 76, 80 and 74 respectively. Don't have a hope of winning games this week! :pac:

Yup I'm Schalke in the championship and I was shocked when I logged on last night. Choupa Moting got hit too... 😢

Hoger is the one that hurts for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Don't think I ever really concede from cut backs, usually cause they need to get past about 3 of my players and I usually cut it out before then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Jaysus lads. Am I even allowed shoot with my players good foot or will someone have a tantrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

You are playing Fifa long enough to know they are a lousy tactic over used by those playing online looking for a win at all costs. They are classless and its not like you found yourself at the by line once or did it just the odd time, its a tactic you tried to score from for the full 90 minutes..all 3 of your goals were cut backs.

Not to be smart but are you not playing fifa long enough yourself to know how to defend against them.

Everyone plays fifa differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

You are playing Fifa long enough to know they are a lousy tactic over used by those playing online looking for a win at all costs. They are classless and its not like you found yourself at the by line once or did it just the odd time, its a tactic you tried to score from for the full 90 minutes..all 3 of your goals were cut backs.

Fifa is a soccer simulation game. Its supposed to be real to life as possible. Whats wrong with scoring cut back goals? its a skill in itself. If players have issues with it, set up your defence in a way to stop it

Its like telling Stoke you are not able to score from a deadball situation?? If chelsea score 3 goals from a cutbacks this evening, IMO I would be blaming the united defence for letting it happen. Nothing wrong with it. I say fair play to a guy who can score cutbacks. It doesn't make a difference how goals are scored, its a soccer simulation game.

Liking all the comments today.. thanks to the above posters for agreeing with me.. I thought I was losing the plot..

As I said last night their not considered sweaty goals.. Its a skill and it introduces another skill for my opponent in how to defend it... it's no different to lobbing the keeper off his line.. Dedijon must have caught me 3 times last night in our league by a lobbed goal.. he is perfectly within is right to lob me if I'm stupid enough to bring my keeper off his line so much.

How can a cut back after serious amounts of skill or hassle trying to get into the box be considered the same as one on one with the keeper then passing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Surely this is the competition ? Win/score by any means permitted by the game itself?

Liking all the comments today.. thanks to the above posters for agreeing with me.. I thought I was losing the plot..

As I said last night their not considered sweaty goals.. Its a skill and it introduces another skill for my opponent in how to defend it... it's no different to lobbing the keeper off his line.. Dedijon must have caught me 3 times last night in our league by a lobbed goal.. he is perfectly within is right to lob me if I'm stupid enough to bring my keeper off his line so much.

In your opinion, which you are entitled to. However there are plenty including I who consider them sweaty. There is no collins dictionary definition of what a sweaty goal is so its opinion at the end of the day.

I commented in my review, you asked about it. I replied and said they are sweaty. Do I find them unsporting, yes...do you, no. Does it change the result of the game or did I ask it to..no. Sour grapes? Couldnt care less about the result, I have lost plenty of games this season and will lose plenty more, this one was a draw anyways.

So I answered you on here because you arent supposed to use the results thread for comments/conversation, does it change anything..no...it just opens it up for everyones 2 cents on what is and isnt unsporting/sweaty. Will you do it next time we play, probably..will I still think its unsporting yes..will the result still stand...yes...will either of us lose any sleep over it..I doubt it.

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Surely this is the competition ? Win/score by any means permitted by the game itself?

Thanks for dropping by.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Was interested in joining there for a while! But seeing as sporting play only involves screamers, I'll probably give it a miss. I'm a sweaty player and proud, a little bit chelsea-esqe, win ugly as long as it's win!

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Was interested in joining there for a while! But seeing as sporting play only involves screamers, I'll probably give it a miss. I'm a sweaty player and proud, a little bit chelsea-esqe, win ugly as long as it's win!

Bye now

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

have to agree that cut backs are a part of the game and in real life.

if you where 2 on 1 with a keeper in the real game you would pass it to your team mate?

well i hope everyone would..!

In your opinion, which you are entitled to. However there are plenty including I who consider them sweaty. There is no collins dictionary definition of what a sweaty goal is so its opinion at the end of the day.

I commented in my review, you asked about it. I replied and said they are sweaty. Do I find them unsporting, yes...do you, no. Does it change the result of the game or did I ask it to..no. Sour grapes? Couldnt care less about the result, I have lost plenty of games this season and will lose plenty more, this one was a draw anyways.

So I answered you on here because you arent supposed to use the results thread for comments/conversation, does it change anything..no...it just opens it up for everyones 2 cents on what is and isnt unsporting/sweaty. Will you do it next time we play, probably..will I still think its unsporting yes..will the result still stand...yes...will either of us lose any sleep over it..I doubt it.

Your entitled to your opinion as am I entitled to reply.. what you had said was more like a sarcastic sour remark and not an opinion

It surely didn't merit to be broadcast in public domain and for you to message me on psn about it also as we all could have came on here ages ago with our gripes about some things and wouldn't bother as it's only a kick about but that's probably just me.

I will continue to play the way I always have as I don't see anything wrong with a "tactic" cut back (in your words)

I'm sure I was pissed off about something you did in our match but I don't go moaning about it.. it's a game at the end of the day and looking for complete sporting behavior from virtual reality gaming is a bit of unusual comment?

And also can someone define sporting behaviour in this case.. sporting behaviour in fifa to me would be taking an easy option to score a goal? In this case taking on 3 or 4 players from the sideline to the by line and looking for the perfect pass to assist a strike on goal does not sound to me an easy goal

In anyway life goes on bored of this subject now its been taken way too seriously this league it's only a bit of a laugh.

I reviewed the game and left my opinion on how it went, you were the one who continued the discussion on it. Here we are many posts later still discussing it but my review didnt ask for anything to be changed. Also we were discussing the game on psn and I mentioned it, didnt suggest any change to the result there either.
    And also can someone define sporting behaviour in this case.. sporting behaviour in fifa to me would be taking an easy option to score a goal?

That would be unsporting behaviour...if by easy option you mean scoring by any means necessary..using known glitches, bugs, cheap tactics. I assume what you are trying to say is that taking the easier option of passing to a player rather than shoot from a really acute angle. The discussion was about cut back goals, not about how you got to the touchline and the skill involved in your opinion but the nature of how the goals are scored in cut back goals. Which I and may others feel are unsporting in fifa and have been for many years...others dont...anyways such is life and fifa.
    In anyway life goes on

Agreed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

My main gripe is short corners, not cutbacks. The corners in FIFA are so broken it's unbelievable. How EA think it's okay for a player to be able to take a short corner repeatedly and have 20 yards of space to run towards goal is baffling. Unless there is some way to tell one of your players to go out and cover it automatically, it's broken and a cheap tactic IMO.

The guy I have to use to close down the player running towards goal is Luisao most of the time, he has less than 40 pace I think. I've conceded 12 goals from short corners in the league this season.

I hope I get relegated back to the Championship because the Premier is nowhere near as fun. I had a ton of fun last season because the game was played properly by most. This season I'm playing people who have their backup fullbacks on the wings just because they have 85+ pace.

So looking at options as regards what teams to use next season. Have setup a thread with a poll to guage what people prefer. Myself and Moon will still make a final decision at the end regardless of the poll but I want to see whether people prefer 4.5 or not now having used them.

Will leave it up for a week.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057415996

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Why can't we use a mixture of clubs and countries. It'll even the field out as there will be more 5 star teams to go around.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Why can't we use a mixture of clubs and countries. It'll even the field out as there will be more 5 star teams to go around.

I think 4.5 is great but adding 4.5 star or lower countries would be great.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

That would defeat the purpose of having seedings and players picks based on their position. Better players at the minute get weaker teams to even things out, if everyone gets top teams and its that level then the result of the league is a foregone conclusion pretty much as regards who will win or be top 3.

That would defeat the purpose of having seedings and players picks based on their position. Better players at the minute get weaker teams to even things out, if everyone gets top teams the result of the league is a foregone conclusion pretty much.

Thats a fair point, i'd have to look at the amount of viable 4.5 star countries that there is. If there's only a couple i think it'd be fine. But i'd also have zero problems with the current system. I will say i think Roma and Arsenal are basically 5 star teams disguised as 4.5. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

The short corners thing is something that I use now and mainly for the reason that everytime I take a corner and put it in the box it breaks and leaves me two on one at the back. The amount of goals I conceded from breaks from corners has been crazy. If someone is taking shorts against me I just go and stand up to it and dont dive in. Its not ideal, on Fifa 14 I set up custom corners and it worked very well, on 15 not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Thats a fair point, i'd have to look at the amount of viable 4.5 star countries that there is. If there's only a couple i think it'd be fine. But i'd also have zero problems with the current system. I will say i think Roma and Arsenal are basically 5 star teams disguised as 4.5. :P

Hey leave my precious Roma alone

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

That would defeat the purpose of having seedings and players picks based on their position. Better players at the minute get weaker teams to even things out, if everyone gets top teams and its that level then the result of the league is a foregone conclusion pretty much as regards who will win or be top 3.

I agree Axwell, i would be up for leaving it the way it is. IMO its the fairest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

So looking at options as regards what teams to use next season. Have setup a thread with a poll to guage what people prefer. Myself and Moon will still make a final decision at the end regardless of the poll but I want to see whether people prefer 4.5 or not now having used them.

Will leave it up for a week.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057415996

Its saying poll closed. I have got to say I think this season has been much better than the first, I enjoyed beating Barca and Bayern with Everton last year but I think this year the field is is much more level and anyone can beat anyone with the current set up. As Cjaysis was pointing out one update can see your club drastically effected, makes for a lot of unpredictability

Advertisement