Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honestly now...... What does it for you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I would say loads of guys don't fancy overweight women (as is their prerogative) despite the claim from certain quarters that overweight women are beating good-looking fellas off with a stick.
    The latter is not what I have observed whatsoever, and I have always gotten most attention from guys when at my slimmest - and I'm fine with that.

That's not to say slim guys can never ever fancy overweight women - we all know it happens, and... good for them too.

I'm curious, any chance of a confidence change? Confidence plays a huge part in the "flirting game".

___
    Health and personality is the most important thing to me.
    But,
    If I had to choose on physical attraction alone, it would be slim. Fat people don't tend to work out, and therefore aren't healthy. There's a greater chance of slim people being health conscious.
    I do have a thing for the "bony" look, but because that normally clashes with "health", that's nothing more than an "oooh, ....nah"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

are women allowed vote?

i picked 'something in between', which is ideally stuart olding.

The whole thread was for anyone women or men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

From the answers so far make you wonder why anyone overweight would even bother ha.

Because there are plenty of people that find overweight people attractive, they probably aren't too bothered about voting in online surveys though :p

Because there are plenty of people that find overweight people attractive, they probably aren't too bothered about voting in online surveys though :p

That could be said for anyone really! Ha.

Don't get me wrong im not into obese women myself I have a limit but It's a shame if your overweight in general people will see you as someone who needs to change.

It always goes back to health but really I'd imagine it's more about image.

All you have to do is go clothes shopping and you will see very quickly who s meant to look good and who's not by society s standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Anyway my point of making this thread is all messing aside forget about what everyone else tells you or what where made to believe is good and bad what does it for you when it comes to size in men or women?

Based on your username I would have thought you'd be into larger girls. "You're the one for me Fatty" you'd be saying.

After all, some girls are bigger than others.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Based on your username I would have thought you'd be into larger girls. "You're the one for me Fatty" you'd be saying.

After all, some girls are bigger than others.

Who said I wasn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I like men who are confident in themselves, size wise don't care but seeing as I'm married to a big cuddly bear of a man I'd probably go for that. I prefer a bit of meat on my man's bones but I wouldn't dismiss anyone who falls on either side of that if they were a nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Fat people don't tend to work out, and therefore aren't healthy. There's a greater chance of slim people being health conscious.

Bit presumptuous there, my old housemate worked out like crazy and was slim but she had a crap diet- she rarely ate and when it was it was sweets and junk food.

On the other hand my friend is overweight and she hits the gym before and after work and she eats healthily- she's lost some of the weight but hit her plateau.

You can't judge people's lifestyles on how they look. Just because someone is skinny doesn't mean she is healthy- she could eat nothing and still not be able to walk up a flight of stairs without huffing while someone overweight could run a 5k without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Ok then, if I'm attracted to someone it doesn't really have anything to do with their appearance. I personally have noticed that I'm into health and intelligence quite a lot but while I can appreciate when someone is very good looking, I'm generally not attracted to them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Wibbs wrote: »
    Which is cool, but outside of obvious extremes at either end of the scale one man(or woman's) medium is another's thin or heavy. That's why it's very much in the eye of the beholder.

Yeah agree 100%. My point might be better summarised in that there is a point above which I wouldn't really find attractive but there wouldn't be a cut off at the lower end like the post quoted below.
    Gannicus wrote: »
    Your blue peter Badge is in the post Alan

I think this better describes it for me. I'b be a fan of a 3 or 4 myself. Curves all the way. I'd be a bit of a 4 myself but hide well because I'm tall... maybe you could say I'm a tall three :D

I wouldn't find a 1 or 5 attractive but they are the 2 extremes on the scale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lmk if it's not okay to include these pics, just thought it'd be easier than explaining.

Fit and athletic girls, they're curvy in the true sense of the word (NOT bodybuilders)

AllisonStokke.jpg
    500x1000px-LL-f4257d0f_valeria_orsini.jpeg

And this is pretty much the perfect form lol

Luana-Kisner-099.jpg

That could be said for anyone really! Ha.

Don't get me wrong im not into obese women myself I have a limit but It's a shame if your overweight in general people will see you as someone who needs to change.

Ah I get where you're coming from, but I would say it's only some people will see you as someone that needs to change, irrespective whether you're thin, slim, overweight, etc, there's somebody somewhere will have an issue with finding you aesthetically offensive. The vast majority of people in society though, really aren't all that bothered.

It always goes back to health but really I'd imagine it's more about image.

Some people it's about health, some people it's about image. Like just because I find overweight people attractive (there could be numerous other reasons to find them unattractive though, so the fact they're overweight on it's own isn't the sole reason I would say I found them attractive. Plenty of people who are overweight whom I wouldn't find attractive too!), doesn't mean that I would encourage them to stay that way if they didn't want to be overweight. I'm overweight myself and it's not something that particularly bothers me, neither for aesthetic nor health reasons.

All you have to do is go clothes shopping and you will see very quickly who s meant to look good and who's not by society s standards.

All depends on where you do your shopping, but there's no fear of me inflicting myself on the public naked because I couldn't find anything to wear. I've seen many more fashion crimes on healthy looking people than overweight people tbh, personal taste really, they think they look great and that's really all that matters, despite society's opinions, takes all sorts to make a society, and we're all part of that society when you think about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'd actually rather the thicker type when I say I'm into curvy women. A lot of the time it isn't even an in between situation I prefer a girl with bit meat on her don't mind if she's bigger once she has nice womanly body shape.
    I would generally agree. Varies from woman to woman obviously depending on how they hold their weight, how they carry themselves etc like you said, but I know a number of people who wouldn't go near a woman above around size 8/10 for whatever reason which really doesn't make sense to me. I mean, of the two below, who would honestly choose the second woman over the first?

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/77/3d/05/773d051f31253c89480c2affa873367b.jpg
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/f4/a7/81/f4a7817751feda16498566ff8130a02c.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KFxmlXHAk1A/TSDSh9651oI/AAAAAAAABMY/LMvggPhEvpA/s320/20090826-fwrdw6pses81erg31mr6gffjyq.jpg

Ah I get where you're coming from, but I would say it's only some people will see you as someone that needs to change, irrespective whether you're thin, slim, overweight, etc, there's somebody somewhere will have an issue with finding you aesthetically offensive. The vast majority of people in society though, really aren't all that bothered.

Some people it's about health, some people it's about image. Like just because I find overweight people attractive (there could be numerous other reasons to find them unattractive though, so the fact they're overweight on it's own isn't the sole reason I would say I found them attractive. Plenty of people who are overweight whom I wouldn't find attractive too!), doesn't mean that I would encourage them to stay that way if they didn't want to be overweight. I'm overweight myself and it's not something that particularly bothers me, neither for aesthetic nor health reasons.

All depends on where you do your shopping, but there's no fear of me inflicting myself on the public naked because I couldn't find anything to wear. I've seen many more fashion crimes on healthy looking people than overweight people tbh, personal taste really, they think they look great and that's really all that matters, despite society's opinions, takes all sorts to make a society, and we're all part of that society when you think about it...

Ya I agree with a lot you said there.

I was thinking about this before and again there now but it's a complex situation what looks good what's healthy etc.

What I do think though is that fat and in some cases skinny people get a lot of unnecessary **** and have for a long time.

I honestly don't think in most cases it's about who's healthy and who's not because there's huge amounts of overweight people and underweight people out there of all sizes who will live long happy lives.

It's the extreme cases that are the issue and should be addressed but as like most things everyone in certain areas gets milled in as "the issue".

Its bascially all about the image society has created that looks good that's how people judge each other when they first see them. In most cases fat people aren't fully accepted neither are very skinny there always seen as these people who could do with losing a few pounds or in the other case "need a good meal"

Now we have this gym fad that's become increasingly popular over last while where everyone's going the gym and they all feel they need to look "perfect" for most these people it's got nothing to do with being healthy.
    So and I've seen enough of this to know it's a fact it's not even good enough being slim or average anymore ha.

That's the real issue as far as I'm concerned is how where all brainwashed on how we view the world.

Who said I wasn't?

The boy with the thorn in his side did.

• Advertisement

The boy with the thorn in his side did.

See how long u can keep those quotes going as replys haha :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Obese, no - some curves? Yes.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Obese, no - some curves? Yes.

Define obese?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

endacl wrote: »
    Let's be honest though. A hippo with a great sense of humour is still a hippo. I'll have a laugh with a hippo, but that's as far as things would go.

Well that's a relief. Taking it all the way with a Hippo, would certainly brings things to a whole new disturbing level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Slim or somewhere in between, I suppose. Reasonably in shape.

• Advertisement

See how long u can keep those quotes going as replys haha :-)

I'm not sure I can keep it up for very long. I feel like I started something I couldn't finish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Billy86 wrote: »
    I would generally agree. Varies from woman to woman obviously depending on how they hold their weight, how they carry themselves etc like you said, but I know a number of people who wouldn't go near a woman above around size 8/10 for whatever reason which really doesn't make sense to me. I mean, of the two below, who would honestly choose the second woman over the first?

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/77/3d/05/773d051f31253c89480c2affa873367b.jpg
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/f4/a7/81/f4a7817751feda16498566ff8130a02c.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KFxmlXHAk1A/TSDSh9651oI/AAAAAAAABMY/LMvggPhEvpA/s320/20090826-fwrdw6pses81erg31mr6gffjyq.jpg

Yeah i agree. The first woman is sexy as hell and the second looks like a 15 year old boy with long hair.

There just has to be a big bum for me. Cant get enough of a booty

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Yeah i agree. The first woman is sexy as hell and the second looks like a 15 year old boy with long hair.

There just has to be a big bum for me. Cant get enough of a booty

Not even just a big arse some kind of feminine shape goes a long way. I do wonder is the whole attraction of slim down to the fact women like being the small ones and men like to be the bigger manly ones and fat women are almost seen as throwing this out the window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

I'm sorry, but size does matter. I don't know how to put it nicely but it does. A lady can be the nicest person on the planet, but I still maintain that physical appearance is just as important. If she is fat/curvy/packing an extra punch or whatever you want to call it, then no thank you. Not just weight though; height. I'm a sucker for short girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm not sure I can keep it up for very long. I feel like I started something I couldn't finish.

That joke isn't funny any more.

Not even just a big arse some kind of feminine shape goes a long way. I do wonder is the whole attraction of slim down to the fact women like being the small ones and men like to be the bigger manly ones and fat women are almost seen as throwing this put the window?

You're painting a vulgar picture there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I'm sorry, but size does matter. I don't know how to put it nicely but it does. A lady can be the nicest person on the planet, but I still maintain that physical appearance is just as important. If she is fat/curvy/packing an extra punch or whatever you want to call it, then no thank you. Not just weight though; height. I'm a sucker for short girls.

I agree, size does matter..no self respecting man wants a fatty..it sub communicates that the person doesn't value themselves.

lufties wrote: »
    I agree, size does matter..no self respecting man wants a fatty..it sub communicates that the person doesn't value themselves.

With all due respect, that's just not true at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

With all due respect, that's just not true at all.

Yes in most cases it is..a man that is unconfident and can't do any better

I agree, size does matter..no self respecting man wants a fatty..

I keep mine hidden.

• Advertisement

Everyone has there own opinion s on what they find good looking that's fine I've no issue with that but the attitude people have mainly towards bigger people is the reason why so many people are unhappy in them selves and are constantly trying to change.

There's nothing wrong with being skinny slim fat chubby whatever what's wrong is that your not allowed be something if people don't like it.

Your blantly told in whatever sugar coated way do something about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Billy86 wrote: »

ME! I couldnt look at the first one without feeling sick. Fat just does not do it for me. Thin all the way!! :)

Birneybau wrote: »
    That joke isn't funny any more.

Ok. Just stop me if you think you've heard this one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

I like somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Somewhere in the middle but I tend not to base my feelings about a person on how they look tbh.

A guy could look like Brad Pitt but if he doesn't have a great personality to go with his great looks he's a no-go. At the end of the day looks fade but a great personality will last a lifetime.

Somewhere in the middle but I tend not to base my feelings about a person on how they look tbh.

A guy could look like Brad Pitt but if he doesn't have a great personality to go with his great looks he's a no-go. At the end of the day looks fade but a great personality will last a lifetime.
    I'm pretty much same personality is really important I know that obviously I was just more curious to see what people think on the physical side. I just wanted to see and hoped it wouldn't be so one sided.

Yes in most cases it is..a man that is unconfident and can't do any better

"Can't do any better" than what exactly? Than what they already find attractive? Than what YOU find attractive? You can't even say 'in most cases' because in order to say that, you'd have to be aware of ALL cases of men who find overweight women attractive. Are you? I don't think you are.

Rest assured btw I have no self-confidence issues that would relate in any way, shape or form to the type of women I've dated. They've been all shapes, sizes, ethnicities and nationalities.

"Any better" is merely YOUR standard, and doesn't apply to anyone but yourself. Your opinion reminds me of lads that used wonder WTF because I didn't find Pamela Anderson attractive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

I'm pretty much same personality is really important I know that obviously I was just more curious to see what people think on the physical side. I just wanted to see and hoped it wouldn't be so one sided.

Would you have a physical relationship with someone you didn't find attractive?

I'm not talking ok with a great personality, I'm talking what you would see as unattractive, be it because of weight, face or whatever.

• Advertisement

mackg wrote: »
    Would you have a physical relationshipith someone you didn't find attractive?

Well pretty girls make graves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ME! I couldnt look at the first one without feeling sick. Fat just does not do it for me. Thin all the way!! :)

You make no sense to me. :pac:

The first one has an outrageously curvy figure and looks like she keeps in good shape, while the second looks properly unhealthy and off two pictures taken from a reasonable distance away I can clearly make out most of her skeleton.

Bigger women can be quite unattractive if they don't keep in shape and I don't have a preference for thin women or larger women so long as whatever they have going works for them, but I really, really don't understand how anyone could choose the second girl over the first out of those two.

mackg wrote: »
    Would you have a physical relationshipith someone you didn't find attractive?

I'm not talking ok with a great personality, I'm talking what you would see as unnatractive be it because of weight, face or whatever.

No there has to be an attraction even a small one. When I say personality is important it is its what keeps the day to day relationship alive because u can't share your looks can you?

But physical attraction is also important in its own right but it shouldn't be the reason to start or finish a relationship bascially because looks change a good personality should be yours for life .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Ugly people will always say that personality is all that matters. Shallow people will always say that looks are the main thing.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. I dated a girl once........

"Can't do any better" than what exactly? Than what they already find attractive? Than what YOU find attractive? You can't even say 'in most cases' because in order to say that, you'd have to be aware of ALL cases of men who find overweight women attractive. Are you? I don't think you are.

Rest assured btw I have no self-confidence issues that would relate in any way, shape or form to the type of women I've dated. They've been all shapes, sizes, ethnicities and nationalities.

"Any better" is merely YOUR standard, and doesn't apply to anyone but yourself. Your opinion reminds me of lads that used wonder WTF because I didn't find Pamela Anderson attractive.

Agree 100% but want to distance myself from the bit about Pamela Anderson.

Well pretty girls make graves.

Oh really?

• Advertisement

Peist2007 wrote: »
    The truth lies somewhere in the middle. I dated a girl once........

Me too. But I want the one I can't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Me too. But I want the one I can't have.

Don't we all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

I'd use the example of a guy who works in a restaurant near where I live. His personality is exceptional, he's just hilarious and so nice. He's a 10 in personality. He's on the chubby side which wouldn't usually appeal to me but his personality knocks my socks off. If I saw him in a nightclub, I probably wouldn't look but now that I know him, I think he's amazing. You definitely have to overlook appearances at times.

However, I'd have to draw the line somewhere. I'm quite health conscious and if he was in stuffing his face with Doritos every evening, then I'd have to think about it. It's important to make the most of yourself I believe.

I like guys who have good bodies from hobbies or physical work, rather than the Frank the Tank gym honed body. Give me a lean, toned surfer anyday.

Putin wrote: »
    Don't we all.

Is it really so strange?

"You don't ride a personality"

• Advertisement
Advertisement