Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honestly now...... What does it for you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Is it really so strange?

Haha keep it up!

From reading threw comments and looking at the numbers in the poll I wonder how different people s views are on what they would define as fat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

From reading threw comments and looking at the numbers in the poll I wonder how different people s views are on what they would define as fat?

The bigger girl of the two that some one posted earlier is hot imo. Fat for me is a good bit beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Sweet Rose wrote: »
    I'd use the example of a guy who works in a restaurant near where I live. His personality is exceptional, he's just hilarious and so nice. He's a 10 in personality. He's on the chubby side which wouldn't usually appeal to me but his personality knocks my socks off. If I saw him in a nightclub, I probably wouldn't look but now that I know him, I think he's amazing. You definitely have to overlook appearances at times.

However, I'd have to draw the line somewhere. I'm quite health conscious and if he was in stuffing his face with Doritos every evening, then I'd have to think about it. It's important to make the most of yourself I believe.

I like guys who have good bodies from hobbies or physical work, rather than the Frank the Tank gym honed body. Give me a lean, toned surfer anyday.

Nice to hear the truth, some boardsies tend to project idyllic holier than thou opinions on here that are false generally.

I guess it can be geographic too, I live near fulham, where a 5 foot 8 average bloke like me doesn't stand much of a chance. Its quite shallow and pretentious around here, but then again so is a lot of london.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

mackg wrote: »
    Agree 100% but want to distance myself from the bit about Pamela Anderson.

Exactly! Like of course she's attractive, but she just wouldn't do it for me personally, whereas the chap who would only be dating a girl because he's more concerned about everyone else's opinion but his own, is the very definition of insecurity and lack of both respect for himself, and lack of respect for the girl in question.

A person who is only dating someone because they value what other people think of them is a person who is just setting themselves, and the person they're dating, up for a world of hurt.

It may have been excusable in childhood and teenage years, but as adults we're all expected to have grown out of that nonsense.

Who a person finds attractive really IS the ultimate "to each their own".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Or slim for that matter. And I suppose or 'somewhere in between' .

Actually I'm starting to wonder if you have any kind of formal training in poll option making at all...

Maybe a better metric would be to ask people to post a couple of pics of celebrities that represent the body type they prefer. and then we could all look at them and get an idea from that and absolutely not masturbate furiously while doing so.

<<
    >>

mackg wrote: »
    The bigger girl of the two that some one posted earlier is hot imo. Fat for me is a good bit beyond that.

Fat for me would be someone who is visibly heavier looking or carrying extra weight for there height or build. Then there's obese which is someone who's very big and no longer has a body shape that's natural for there body.

I hate it someone labels a skinny girl with nothing but big tits as "curvy" or a woman who's clearly overweight calling herself curvy or this real women are curvy crap.

Why are people so afraid to use the word fat? Because where all given warped views from an early age on what's accepted by society looks wise.

lufties wrote: »
    Nice to hear the truth, some boardsies tend to project idyllic holier than thou opinions on here that are false generally.

I guess it can be geographic too, I live near fulham, where a 5 foot 8 average bloke like me doesn't stand much of a chance. Its quite shallow and pretentious around here, but then again so is a lot of london.

You're living in a city of 16 million people and you have the internet in front of you, and you're basing the fact you don't stand much of a chance on the fact you're a 5'8 average bloke... but everyone else is shallow and pretentious?

Show me anywhere in the world where there are no shallow and pretentious people! The only reason you don't stand much of a chance is because you're already pointing out your own insecurities before you've even given anyone else a chance to do it for you!

You're living in a city of 16 million people and you have the internet in front of you, and you're basing the fact you don't stand much of a chance on the fact you're a 5'8 average bloke... but everyone else is shallow and pretentious?

Show me anywhere in the world where there are no shallow and pretentious people! The only reason you don't stand much of a chance is because you're already pointing out your own insecurities before you've even given anyone else a chance to do it for you!

Perhaps I am, but in fairness I'm outgoing but have been kicked to the curb dating wise too many times, who knows why...what I was trying to say is that looks matter more in somewhere like fulham or chelsea rather than say stoke on trent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

trent.

POW!!!!! said Trent.

That'll show them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

tinz18 wrote: »
    Bit presumptuous there, my old housemate worked out like crazy and was slim but she had a crap diet- she rarely ate and when it was it was sweets and junk food.

On the other hand my friend is overweight and she hits the gym before and after work and she eats healthily- she's lost some of the weight but hit her plateau.

You can't judge people's lifestyles on how they look. Just because someone is skinny doesn't mean she is healthy- she could eat nothing and still not be able to walk up a flight of stairs without huffing while someone overweight could run a 5k without any issues.

Note on my post, I said a "greater chance". I never said they all were.

Your overweight but fit friend, I'm sure you'll agree, isn't very common.

Perhaps I am, but in fairness I'm outgoing but have been kicked to the curb dating wise too many times, who knows why...what I was trying to say is that looks matter more in somewhere like fulham or chelsea rather than say stoke on trent.

Looks matter to certain people no matter where you are!

You get these people in any part of the world its life theres plenty of others to.

If I was to guess (and bear in mind this is only my own reason why I wouldn't date you), but it's because just based off your posts alone in this thread, I'd find your attitude a turn off.

I understand what you mean by looks matter, but of course looks matter anywhere, but if a person has self-confidence issues, that's going to affect the image of themselves they project to the world, and may be even more of a turn off for someone else than that person's height.

I'm only two inches taller than you are, probably a lot fatter than you are, and my username isn't just a reflection of the fact I'm a dab hand at poker! None of these issues have ever been an issue for anyone I've dated, because they've never been an issue for me.

There's plenty more unattractive about me for them to choose from, but then I'm all too aware I'm not everyone's cup of earl grey :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's plenty more unattractive about me for them to choose from, but then I'm all too aware I'm not everyone's cup of earl grey :pac:

I'm unattractive too but money changes everything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

SameDiff wrote: »
    "You don't ride a personality"

Yes you do,good personality usually means good sex. Moody personality means great great sex.

This is fact from now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭paddy1990

Indeed. Suddenly a guy becomes very good looking if he has a big bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

A person who is only dating someone because they value what other people think of them is a person who is just setting themselves, and the person they're dating, up for a world of hurt.

It may have been excusable in childhood and teenage years, but as adults we're all expected to have grown out of that nonsense.

This unfortunately does happen. A friend of mine has broken up with his last two girlfriends because of this sort of insecurity. They were not obese but were curvy, and in all honesty I think it's his type. The last girl he dated was a pain in the arse yoga freak and the girl he's dating at the moment is about 5"1' and not a pick on her, and barely spoke two words to anyone the first time I met her but that's OK because she's "shy" at the age of 28. I feel sad for him, because he doesn't know how happy he could be if he would just let himself.

He wants a trophy to show off because he was a late starter, worked very hard in his younger years and is now quite wealthy.

If I was to guess (and bear in mind this is only my own reason why I wouldn't date you), but it's because just based off your posts alone in this thread, I'd find your attitude a turn off.

I understand what you mean by looks matter, but of course looks matter anywhere, but if a person has self-confidence issues, that's going to affect the image of themselves they project to the world, and may be even more of a turn off for someone else than that person's height.

I'm only two inches taller than you are, probably a lot fatter than you are, and my username isn't just a reflection of the fact I'm a dab hand at poker! None of these issues have ever been an issue for anyone I've dated, because they've never been an issue for me.

Ahem, on here I'm anonymous so I can say what I really think. I am obviously the problem as to why my dating like sucks, I don't know if its physical or whatever but being a short arse immediately rules you out of a certain demographic. .

I'm delighted to hear you wouldn't date me as I don't date men :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I know it's a cliche but personality will aways trump looks.

I know a lot of women that might be a little overweight but their sense of humour and kindness is enough to propel them up the attractive ladder. Alternatively, I know gorgeous girls that have the most horrible kind of attitude and thinks the sun shines out of their arse....& even though they're good looking they regard it as a privilege you should hold when in their presence - it's hard to see past their ugliness as people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Conceptions of slim and 'in between' vary.

I would give Imelda May as an example of a woman with a great, sexy figure. Some would say she's slim, others would say she's in between.

Then again, it's more than her body that makes her sexy.

Imagine pulling into the front yard of an evening, and yer one is there leaning up again the door jamb with those big... come-to-bed eyes. Kinda getting lost in my own little fantasy here. Excuse me for a minute.

paddy1990 wrote: »

He doesn't get any better looking, he just becomes more attractive to people that are attracted to men with big bank accounts, in the same way as a woman becomes more attractive to people who find big bank accounts attractive.

You're hardly breaking any new ground here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I know they exist but I think the unattractive people with great personalities VS attactive people with horrible personalities is WAY overstated. Most attractive people I know are very kind and sound etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

I know they exist but I think the unattractive people with great personalities VS attactive people with horrible personalities is WAY overstated. Most attractive people I know are very kind and sound etc.

Sure I'm a fox and I'm LOVELY to people

He doesn't get any better looking, he just becomes more attractive to people that are attracted to men with big bank accounts, in the same way as a woman becomes more attractive to people who find big bank accounts attractive.

You're hardly breaking any new ground here.

Women are attracted to men of status just as men are attracted to women with big tits, long legs, nice arse etc....

We're looking for something nice to "play with". Women are looking for security, stability etc. Just observe the animals in the wild - the strongest gorilla and the lion that best demonstrates that he can obtain food on a regular basis will be seen as a more suitable mate. In b4 feminist backlash...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

paddy1990 wrote: »

People say money doesn't matter but that's a miserable lie.

• Advertisement

People say money doesn't matter but that's a miserable lie.

depends to who.

But yes, poverty = stress/worry, people generally don't chase stress.

Dayum wrote: »
    Women are attracted to men of status just as men are attracted to women with big tits, long legs, nice arse etc....

We're looking for something nice to "play with". Women are looking for security, stability etc. Just observe the animals in the wild - the strongest gorilla and the lion that best demonstrates that he can obtain food on a regular basis will be seen as a more suitable mate. In b4 feminist backlash...

I don't know where you get your ideas from, but attempting to draw similarities between social structures in the animal kingdom and human beings kinda falls flat on it's arse when women are able to provide for themselves nowadays, can choose whether they want to have children or not, or how many, and not every man views women as mere playthings for their amusement.

Your hypothesis needs a lot more work tbh.

I don't know where you get your ideas from, but attempting to draw similarities between social structures in the animal kingdom and human beings kinda falls flat on it's arse when women are able to provide for themselves nowadays, can choose whether they want to have children or not, or how many, and not every man views women as mere playthings for their amusement.

Your hypothesis needs a lot more work tbh.

Never said women need men to provide for them so I don't know where you got that from. I'm saying we're animals and as such, have animal instincts.

Would you disagree that it's more common to see a multimillionaire man with a poor homeless women than it is to see a multimillionaire woman with a poor homeless guy? I'm not saying women are wrong to see the more powerful, more influential guy as a more suitable mate - it's in their nature. More power to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Ripped.

There's no ripped option in your poll OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

conorh91 wrote: »

I would give Imelda May as an example of a woman with a great, sexy figure. Some would say she's slim, others would say she's in between.

Imagine pulling into the front yard of an evening, and yer one is there leaning up again the door jamb with those big... come-to-bed eyes. Kinda getting lost in my own little fantasy here. Excuse me for a minute.

I think she's fairly haggard tbh

• Advertisement

conorh91 wrote: »

Imelda may is naturally beautiful with the personality to boot.

that overweight women are beating good-looking fellas off with a stick.

Well they would not get the close enough to beat me off with the hand :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Yeah cuz you're a munter

We don't want to go near ya anyway! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

When referring to people having "a bit of meat on them", is that a reference to fat or muscle? Since fat isn't meat but muscle is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

How you doin'?

When referring to people having "a bit of meat on them", is that a reference to fat or muscle? Since fat isn't meat but muscle is

Do you like meat? How are ya for a chunky sausage?

The majority of men I've found attractive have been bigger than average, in width and height.

The other thing they all had in common was intelligence, the most attractive trait of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I think a rugby players build a sharp mind and a great sense of humor is pretty close to perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Caroline Morahan whould have the kind of body that would make the ould middle leg take notice.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    The majority of men I've found attractive have been bigger than average, in width and height.

The other thing they all had in common was intelligence, the most attractive trait of all.

Like MI6 or something :)

A lot of guys have limiting belief and that little voice in own head says, she's too good for you..thats down to the individual though. I'd consider myself intelligent, reasonably confident and attractive..yet I can't seem to get or hold on to a girl I'm interested in. Its incredibly frustrating, just can't fathom it even though I know its my fault.

Like MI6 or something :)

A lot of guys have limiting belief and that little voice in own head says, she's too good for you..thats down to the individual though. I'd consider myself intelligent, reasonably confident and attractive..yet I can't seem to get or hold on to a girl I'm interested in. Its incredibly frustrating, just can't fathom it even though I know its my fault.

Have you maybe tried asking them?

Could you be coming across as "over-confident" (arrogant)?
    __

Don't get me wrong here. I recently had a discussion with a couple of my course peers on some issues. Apparently I was coming across in a way I didn't intend. Once they explain what exactly was bothering and I explained how that wasn't intentional. I think and hope, it cleared the air somewhat.

It also pointed out to me, that I have to be careful with my own actions and try to see how they are coming across.

Have you looked at your own actions and tried to see what might be the problem. It's never all one's sides fault either. It's just possible people are picking up something other than you intend from your attitude/actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Bodice likes a big girl, or a big guy, for that matter.

Have you maybe tried asking them?

Could you be coming across as "over-confident" (arrogant)?
    __

Don't get me wrong here. I recently had a discussion with a couple of my course peers on some issues. Apparently I was coming across in a way I didn't intend. Once they explain what exactly was bothering and I explained how that wasn't intentional. I think and hope, it cleared the air somewhat.

It also pointed out to me, that I have to be careful with my own actions and try to see how they are coming across.

Have you looked at your own actions and tried to see what might be the problem. It's never all one's sides fault either. It's just possible people are picking up something other than you intend from your attitude/actions.

No idea, I asked 3 girls on dates the last few weeks and only got to date 2 with one of them, that particuar girl saud she can't see me anymore than just a friend. It makes me think I'm just not attractive enough or interesting or funny enough..its happened far too many times in the last few months. You are right, It would be no harm to ask the question.

What people think about looks Is important because it's how they view people around them.

You can kinda tell a lot of the time if someone doesnt find someone good to look at they don't take them as seriously in general. It's not always the case but it does happen a lot more than it could.

What people think about looks Is important because it's how they view people around them.

You can kinda tell a lot of the time if someone doesnt find someone good to look at they don't take them as seriously in general. It's not always the case but it does happen a lot more than it could.

Morrisey looks like ****, doesn't seem to be holding him back...

Morrisey looks like ****, doesn't seem to be holding him back...

You would think i was Morrissey the way people seem to mention him everytime i post :p

You would think i was Morrissey the way people seem to mention him everytime i post :p

it might be the avatar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

• Advertisement

it might be the avatar...

Im not the only one with a avatar you notice right away! :pac:

Advertisement