Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honestly now...... What does it for you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Copper wouldn't ask that.
    They really show themselves up when they go on holidays

I have images of some spotty, sexually frustrated teenager in his bedroom at his parents house sniggering to himself as he tries his very best to get a rise out of the female posters with his bad ass comments. Tenner bets he's checking in to see who's responded. Let's face it, this is about as much action as this young man gets, bless him.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

I assume to get laid?
    In a room full of birds you look for the fat one and tick them off the list.
    The same for women no?men are always accused of being shallow but women in reality are just as bad.obviously though the beer goggles puts paid to that logic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

If I could thank a post a thousand times... :pac:

Honestly, these people that say "everyone else could do with making an effort", it's as if they feel they shouldn't have to make any, and therein lies the issue - lack of self-awareness, again.

As for the whole "Irish people need to make more of an effort", yeah, because everyone else in the countries they've been to are all specimens of health and happiness... as fcuking if! :pac:

I'm pretty content with my physical appearance as I am, sure, I have some issues, but nothing that impedes me from enjoying life, and as for my fitness levels, well, I won't be breaking Olympic records any time soon, but I can still move my ass when I need to :D

The way i look at all of this is dont get me wrong im not saying people shouldnt look after there health im saying just because your not impressing someone doesnt mean your unhealthy and need to improve.

There is a really bad attitude to health and fitness in this country on one side you have people who eat ****e drink and smoke all the time and are to lazy to learn how to cook for themselves. Then on the other side you have these people who live in the gym and no there not there because they play sport or because they want to be healther there going because they want to stand out and look better then everyone else they want the attention and they know in this day and age where image wins all they will get it!.

Your number one priority should be to be happy with yourself if your not happy with who you are nothing else will make a difference in the end.

If we could all start there maybe we wouldnt need to fill our lifes with other crap we think we need to be happy. Im telling you 100 percent i would rather be a bit overweight and happy with myself then be in great shape and still a miserable bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Page 25 (I'm on a phone, wanna fight about it?) before we got to "Irish women are awful, too awful for me cause I get ALL the girls"? If that's not progress I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

How dare people try to self improve and go to the gym! We should all get fat and ugly together.

• Advertisement

strobe wrote: »
    Page 25 (I'm on a phone, wanna fight about it?) before we got to "Irish women are awful, too awful for me cause I get ALL the girls"? If that's not progress I don't know what is.

Good point ;)

Midkemia wrote: »
    How dare people try to self improve and go to the gym! We should all get fat and ugly together.

You seem to be having some sort of argument with yourself there. Are you okay?

Midkemia wrote: »

Did I say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Personality > Size

A good personality consists of a chick with a little hard body, who will satisfy all sexual demands without being too slutty about things, and who essentially will keep her dumb ****ing mouth shut.

A good personality consists of a chick with a little hard body, who will satisfy all sexual demands without being too slutty about things, and who essentially will keep her dumb ****ing mouth shut.

Well isn't that just lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Dont post in this thread again, and if you post crap like that here again, you will be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Dont post in this thread again, and if you post crap like that here again, you will be banned.

He's quoting literature in fairness to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

He's quoting literature in fairness to him
    Yep, a book that satirises misogyny and lots of other not nice things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

A whole new meaning of being a part of me... I picked slim as I like slim women, but if I was on top of her, I'm sure she would become part of me like a lump of putty embedded in a nail. Yes, I am a monster sized muscle of putty.

A whole new meaning of being a part of me... I picked slim as I like slim women, but if I was on top of her, I'm sure she would become part of me like a lump of putty embedded in a nail. Yes, I am a monster sized muscle of putty.

What ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

What ? :pac:

Ok, I'll explain it more clearly like the old metal vinyl hard-core tracks...

putty of muscle sized monster a am I Yes nail a in embedded putty of lump a like me of part become would she sure, I'm her of top on was I if, but women slim like I, as slim picked I me of part a being of meaning new whole A.

Seems to make more sense I think :D

Ok, I'll explain it more clearly like the old metal vinyl hard-core tracks...

putty of muscle sized monster a am I Yes nail a in embedded putty of lump a like me of part become would she sure, I'm her of top on was I if, but women slim like I, as slim picked I me of part a being of meaning new whole A.

Seems to make more sense I think :D

Ya now i understand......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

lufties wrote: »
    There are a few indeed, but having lived in a few countries, I reckon both Irish men and women could make more of an effort, me included, although my diet is pretty good.

At a certain point it's less about effort put into one's looks and more about simple genetics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Saeeda123 wrote: »
    hi friends,
    i think everyone should care for his/her physical appearance.
    but
    personality is more important than physical appearance of anyone....

put yourself in that guy's shoes whom you consider blob, obese etc.
    think deeper. 1st meet your inner and ask what it says?

My inner self is telling me to form and maintain a relationship with someone with control and a healthy attitude to their weight. It also tells me that it looks awful when you can see my belly under a shirt etc because I've put on a FEW pounds. Then my innerself gets me out more and eating less or no rubbish. I love my inner self!

Edit- Physical appearance especially over 35 is a reflection of your personality. So I must be attracted to thinner personalities !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I have images of some spotty, sexually frustrated teenager in his bedroom at his parents house sniggering to himself as he tries his very best to get a rise out of the female posters with his bad ass comments. Tenner bets he's checking in to see who's responded. Let's face it, this is about as much action as this young man gets, bless him.

And a tenner bets you'll be back to check on him.

• Advertisement

And a tenner bets you'll be back to check on him.

I completely forgot about his existence until I read this post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

The majority are mutton dressed as lamb .when you look at the other women:confused: when abroad even on a night out in Dublin they seem to have no class and act like brazzers compared to their eastern European cousins

That's funny, I recently introduced my husband to a friend of mine who works in an Irish bar and she said "Really, he's Irish?? Irish men are normally so ugly!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

To be honest I am no size 10 gym bunny. I'm a bigger girl, I have lost and am losing weight but I would still currently be big. I am single currently but that is not due to lack of offers. Now it could be the boobs or it could be my sparkling personality :p but I haven't had trouble finding men who were interested.
    I myself have dated very slim guys and larger guys for me personally it comes down to whether they just have that certain something, I have never really found the stereotypical good looking guys attractive. Nice to look at but doesn't get my motor running . So fat or thin if there is chemistry there then for me that's what matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

A girl with a pretty face goes a long way.

That's funny, I recently introduced my husband to a friend of mine who works in an Irish bar and she said "Really, he's Irish?? Irish men are normally so ugly!" :pac:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your friend is an idiot.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your friend is an idiot.

I said she works in an Irish bar, I really wouldn't doubt her assessment of the calibre of Irish men that frequent it.

I said she works in an Irish bar, I really wouldn't doubt her assessment of the calibre of Irish men that frequent it.
    But she's being as bad as people who say Irish women are a state.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye and never mind that the amount of Irish men and men of Irish descent are seen as "sex symbols" isn't small given we're a tiny country.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm just illustrating that wherever you go, there are going to be people who are a bad example of a nationality. My post was in response to the person who said Irish women are ugly. Some are, some aren't, some Irish men are, some aren't. It's got nothing to do with our nationality and more to do with our bad habits in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair, whenever i go somewhere I generally think the women look better. I've heard girls say the same about men. It might be because they're different but i think it is partly the fault of Irish people. I've been travelling around Europe for a month and the only time i saw someone in a tracksuit, they were running. In Dublin half the population are wearing them and even for those that don't, their dress sense is really bad. It's not like everyone I saw on the continent was wearing the latest fashion, they just seemed to dress better.
    There's a lot to be said for how someone presents themselves.

Yeh I'm not gonna go saying we, in general, are similar in looks to the French and Nordic/Latin folks - the "Irish people are so ugly" thing (said by Irish people, but of course they're exempting themselves) is too much an extreme the other way though. From what I see, "we're" somewhere in the middle.

Yeh I'm not gonna go saying we, in general, are similar in looks to the French and Nordic/Latin folks - the "Irish people are so ugly" thing (said by Irish people, but of course they're exempting themselves) is too much an extreme the other way though. From what I see, "we're" somewhere in the middle.

I just think that there are a minority of Irish people who are so good looking that that's what foreigners expect from us. I know in most countries that I go to people are delighted with the red hair, green eyes and pale skin cailín look. I'm not particularly good looking, people just like it that I'm what they expect an Irish girl to look like. I've explained to them about there being a French Armada in the South, a Spanish Armada in the West, Vikings in the East and that the Celts were actually more blond than ginger so that there are massive differences in what people look like across the country in reality but they think we're all supposed to look like Jean Butler.

And for the record.... Michael Fassbender.... phwoar!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

....I recently introduced my husband to a friend of mine.........
    And there's your first mistake right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Grayson wrote: »
    To be fair, whenever i go somewhere I generally think the women look better. I've heard girls say the same about men. It might be because they're different but i think it is partly the fault of Irish people. I've been travelling around Europe for a month and the only time i saw someone in a tracksuit, they were running. In Dublin half the population are wearing them and even for those that don't, their dress sense is really bad. It's not like everyone I saw on the continent was wearing the latest fashion, they just seemed to dress better.
    There's a lot to be said for how someone presents themselves.

It's not the fault of the Irish people that you and your friends seem to be walking round Dublin with your eyes closed and only open them the minute you get abroad. There's this little idea called perception, and to say half the population of Dublin dress in tracksuits, while there's more don't know how to dress, well that's just exaggeration first of all, and then to say they seem to dress better in Europe... I mean, how subjective is that?

It's crazy talk, pure and simple.

You think that a couple of months on the continent travelling between holiday destinations gives you even the slightest clue of culture, fashion, lifestyle, demographic spectrum... it'd be like me going into Coppers and saying it represents all Dublin nightlife.

It doesn't, not by a long shot, and neither is a handful of holiday destinations across Europe representative of the population in the millions in those countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Go into any tescos / dunnes / aldi etc and dime to a dollar all the good looking women working in these places are Eastern European. ;)

Thin / skinny women do nothing for me no matter how good looking they are. Curves are good! but not folds.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Go into any tescos / dunnes / aldi etc and dime to a dollar all the good looking women working in these places are Eastern European. ;)

Not in my opinion. Eastern European women generally look deadly in their 20's , they don't age as well compared to irish women - at least in north dublin.

I don't know the nationality of all of them but I assume they are mostly irish but dublin city has some fine women and to say they don't dress well is an idiotic statement. I'm in the city centre most days of the year

It seems people looking to run down irish people take junkies and rough looking yolks as their benchmark and then compare them to the best abroad.
    Go to naples and tell me they look snazzy compared to irish people. Go to the outskirts of paris and tell me nobody there wears a tracksuit and they all dress well. Just two places I've been in this wonderful utopia called "foreign" .

Maybe we are cursed with junkies and the like in the centre of of dublin but in comparision to who is actually walking through they are a tiny minority.

There's good and bad in all countries there's plenty average looking eastern European women around here for starters. We tend to notice the best examples and compare them to our worst.

I've never had the stereotypical Irish look cause my father's family. I've actually been mistaken for Spanish and Mexican in Ireland ffs haha.

Think it's just the dark features.

If u want an example of how good looking some of us everyday Irish can be go on tinder and swipe away!

I completely forgot about his existence until I read this post. :)

Feck ye. I'll have to give you that tenner later. My money is in my other trousers.

Not in my opinion. Eastern European women generally look deadly in their 20's , they don't age as well compared to irish women - at least in north dublin.

I don't know the nationality of all of them but I assume they are mostly irish but dublin city has some fine women and to say they don't dress well is an idiotic statement. I'm in the city centre most days of the year

It seems people looking to run down irish people take junkies and rough looking yolks as their benchmark and then compare them to the best abroad.
    Go to naples and tell me they look snazzy compared to irish people. Go to the outskirts of paris and tell me nobody there wears a tracksuit and they all dress well. Just two places I've been in this wonderful utopia called "foreign" .

Maybe we are cursed with junkies and the like in the centre of of dublin but in comparision to who is actually walking through they are a tiny minority.

Some irish friends of a friend came over here to london recently and they were all dressed well and behaved well. There is no utopia. Although I found the dutch in amsterdam to be very stylish, never been to paris or milan

I've never had the stereotypical Irish look cause my father's family. I've actually been mistaken for Spanish and Mexican in Ireland ffs haha.

Ya my father is the same, from Kerry, won't go outside in the summer without SPF50 on and is sallow as the day is long. Had jet black hair in his youth aswell. Out of six children, I have one brother and one sister who can get a tan.

• Advertisement

Although I found the dutch in amsterdam to be very stylish, never been to paris or milan

Dutch women (for the most part) have a uniform of skinny jeans, high top runners and blazers, generally with some kind of flowery pattern. The men use ALOT of mousse, gel, hairspray and love their pointy shoes and pink shirts. I was once at a wedding in Ireland and there was a guy dressed like this (new boyfriend of one of the guests who was back from Spain). I joked to someone that I bet he was Dutch, turned out he was. Lovely fella.

Not true. There are some stunning looking Irish women in my local Tesco. Granted it is the largest Tesco in Ireland but still. :)

I'd have to disagree with you there. I think Eastern European women age superbly well. I work with some Eastern European women who are in their 40's and would put a lot of 25 year olds to shame. A few of them would be what you'd call GILF's. :D

The rest of your post is spot on.

Dutch women (for the most part) have a uniform of skinny jeans, high top runners and blazers, generally with some kind of flowery pattern. The men use ALOT of mousse, gel, hairspray and love their pointy shoes and pink shirts. I was once at a wedding in Ireland and there was a guy dressed like this (new boyfriend of one of the guests who was back from Spain). I joked to someone that I bet he was Dutch, turned out he was. Lovely fella.

A style loses its appeal when everyone looks the same, before I moved to london, I wore bootcut jeans and normal shoes, now I wear skinny shoes and jeans. I can't decide whether its a sheep mentality or if I genuinely like the look. Think it the latter in fairness.

There's good and bad in all countries there's plenty average looking eastern European women around here for starters. We tend to notice the best examples and compare them to our worst.

If u want an example of how good looking some of us everyday Irish can be go on tinder and swipe away!

Actually that's one of the great things about Ireland- the variety of looks by European standards. A few of my best female friends from my hometown in Dublin could easily be mistaken for Spanish. A few friends with red hair and myself and a few others with naturally Blonde hair.

Here in Spain if you don't like dark eyes and dark hair, you're fairly fooked (luckily I do - it's a lovely combo).

There are as many average looking Spaniards here as anywhere (if you choose to take off the selective viewing glasses) but the good-looking tend to be exceptionally so imo.

They put an effort into their appearance here in Madrid and fair play to them; they often look great but wearing heels and full make up everyday is just not me unless I'm going somewhere and not just out and about. I know I could look much better than I do if I was bothered...but I'm not. I haven't let myself go or anything and make a reasonable effort everyday but comfort wins for me every time. I'm just not that fussed tbh. That's just me though.

I used to have a Spanish friend in Dublin who commented on how she loved that relaxed aspect of Ireland where anything goes and she said there's more pressure among women here generally. I'm glad I'm an outsider and not part of that tbh. I really feel very grateful that my appearance is not something that consumes my thoughts every waking hour.

If I'm going to make an effort, it's for me and my boyfriend and not for some random strangers on the internet. So there! :p

Actually that's one of the great things about Ireland- the variety of looks by European standards.

Tis true. In my area alone there are Brazilian, African, American and Eastern Europeans. My girlfriend is English but looks Spanish as she is quite dark skinned. Granted I'm in Maynooth which is a college town so there are a lot of foreign students, but still, great variety all the same.

Ya my father is the same, from Kerry, won't go outside in the summer without SPF50 on and is sallow as the day is long. Had jet black hair in his youth aswell. Out of six children, I have one brother and one sister who can get a tan.

My grandfather is Indian me da is bit darker then your average Irish man so me and Me brothers always got great tan without any fuss as kids me da would end up black haha.

Actually that's one of the great things about Ireland- the variety of looks by European standards. A few of my best female friends from my hometown in Dublin could easily be mistaken for Spanish. A few friends with red hair and myself and a few others with naturally Blonde hair.

Here in Spain if you don't like dark eyes and dark hair, you're fairly fooked (luckily I do - it's a lovely combo).

There are as many average looking Spaniards here as anywhere (if you choose to take off the selective viewing glasses) but the good-looking tend to be exceptionally so imo.

They put an effort into their appearance here in Madrid and fair play to them; they often look great but wearing heels and full make up everyday is just not me unless I'm going somewhere and not just out and about. I know I could look much better than I do if I was bothered...but I'm not. I haven't let myself go or anything and make a reasonable effort everyday but comfort wins for me every time. I'm just not that fussed tbh. That's just me though.

I used to have a Spanish friend in Dublin who commented on how she loved that relaxed aspect of Ireland where anything goes and she said there's more pressure among women here generally. I'm glad I'm an outsider and not part of that tbh. I really feel very grateful that my appearance is not something that consumes my thoughts every waking hour.

If I'm going to make an effort, it's for me and my boyfriend and not for some random strangers on the internet. So there! :p

Ah no your right there's to much pressure to look certain ways for men and women that gets point where you dress down in protest! Ha.

It's nice to dress well and look after ur appearance in some way but it's not something that needs to be every day thing it's nice to feel casual to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I haven't let myself go or anything

You have a beard, your point is invalid :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I might sound hypocritical, but I prefer normal, and slim woman over heavy. Add proper curves, not Michelin mascot and you got a stunning body.
    I just dont find heavy/very heavy girls attractive and I know that I am not attractive as a fatty. I got a lot of weight built up while in relationship. Since I got single a bit over 3 months a go, I decided to work on my fatness before I go back in to dating scene. I went from 20stone to little bit below 16stone in 12 weeks so far and I still have a lot more to lose. Seeing all the young, slim good looking boys in pubs is a good kick to get slimmer now. Competition is fierce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Seeing all the young, slim good looking boys in pubs is a good kick to get slimmer now.

You're welcome! Now stop looking at my fine behind! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement