Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ground bait mixes

Options
  • 22-10-2014 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

So have been planning a winters day course fishing with a few of my friends and discussing tactics
    1 of the lads has suggested concoctions for ground baits.
    he has been suggesting using various kinds of mixers with the ground bait including cat and dog food/nuts, rasher grizzle, and bits of boiled veg etc.
    ive heard of these baits being successful in Europe and UK but not Ireland
    any of ye fellas tried household stuff with ground bait?
    btw target species is tench and roach, maybe an odd pike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Well you won't get pike on ground bait :D
    I've used dog biscuits on the fly for carp but you'll get others aswell.
    I've used squid juice in the ground bait with strawberry scent on them. Mixed with hemp and maggots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

You will struggle to get winter tench in most natural venues here. Unless its a high density stocked fishery. Tench are generally summer fish.

What you have suggested sounds more like a heavy pre bait mix for big shoals of bream. The food content would be too high for winter roach. Try a fine proprietary ground bait and smaller hook baits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Also, sweet crumb mix's are best for summer months, for colder months I'd use anything that's fishmeal based/flavoured, Whizzo used to do a great chopped worm based mix years ago called "Wonder Wormz", but they're gone years.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

uch wrote: »
    Also, sweet crumb mix's are best for summer months, for colder months I'd use anything that's fishmeal based/flavoured, Whizzo used to do a great chopped worm based mix years ago called "Wonder Wormz", but they're gone years.

Dont think you can beat a basic crumb mix for Roach & compliment it with either breadflake or worm on the hook. I sometimes add a splash of XL Liquid Worm into the groundbait, its made by Dynamite & is fairly readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

Well you won't get pike on ground bait ]

I think theres a few people out there now who are starting to groundbait for pike. I was talkin to a fella who keeps all his mackerel leftovers and groundbaits with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Yeah i know a few fellas that groundbait for pike

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

I was reading the irish angler magazine and one of the writers groundbaited a margin a day or two before hand. Threw his two deadbaits out and as he was landing his first the second rod went, both double figures. And i know that could happen without groundbaiting but if you live close enough to a good pike water it wouldnt hurt your chances.

Advertisement