Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Copyright Icons / Brand Images

Options
  • 22-10-2014 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to run this past someone who may know. What is the law surrounding the use of another companies logo / banner on a website? For example, using a large supermarket chains logo to initiate a search? e.g. Find all the local Tesco's by clicking their icon? I'm thinking mobile design here as the logo would be the ideal size of a finger for a quick search. Usage would be to further the given brand i.e. Clicking a Tesco's icon would return a list of Tesco stores and take you to their sub-page etc. There would be no benefit for myself, if that makes sense.

Does 'fair use' exist? Can one cover themselves with a 'All rights belong to Tesco Ltd' etc?

I've requested permission for code, photo usage etc before in Apps, but given the size and number of these well known brands, individual consent may be a tricky and lengthy procedure to get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Blogs and news sites etc can use trademarked logos for reporting purposes but it sounds like you are building something more like a directory which i think would be hard to suggest is using it in a noncommercial way in which case you would definitely want permission.

What exactly is the project you are working on and why all the effort if there is no return?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

jimmii wrote: »
    Blogs and news sites etc can use trademarked logos for reporting purposes but it sounds like you are building something more like a directory which i think would be hard to suggest is using it in a noncommercial way in which case you would definitely want permission.

I understand the fair use for reporting etc. In this case, someone would be paying for the directory and its 'usefulness' if that makes sense. Its not a huge commercial venture, its something on the side I do for fun more than anything. But like I said, I won't be making money from the brands themselves, its merely to use it to launch a search i.e. The user can quickly recognize it and search.

I'll dig a little deeper on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

There is no problem using brand trademarks provided you acknowledge their ownership in a general way (ownership of all marks acknowledged). As long as you are not trying to switch sell or in any way passing off other product or to be an official site, no issue to use them them. Brands of the world is a good place to get their logos http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Definitely worth making sure you get it right some companies are very protective over their trademark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

I used many of the top 100 brands logos on a website, for normal commercial purposes, for many years with no issue whatsoever. Worst case scenario they tell you to desist, unlikely as it is promoting their brand for free, happy days! However if you are being naughty, expect trouble!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

As long as you're being legit with the logos then a simple 'All trademarks, trade names, product names and logos appearing on the site are the property of their respective owners.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks everyone.

Advertisement