Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, not getting a male pup or a collie for my next dog was a *great* success!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Curious question. Is there any way to tell if his ears will go up or stay down at this stage? Entirely curious as Shadow had permanent Dobbie ears!

It's too early to tell yet. If they're going to be erect, they'll most likely go up over the next couple of months. You generally can't tell for sure until at the time they finish teething. I'm fairly sure Nyssa's plan to be fully upright though, as there hasn't been the slightest hint of drooping or tipping since we had her, which was at 15 weeks. She's 21 weeks now.

Sure thing is, he's gonna be super-gorgeous either way :D

Edited to add: at a glance though, and not risking a single penny on it :P, I'd say there is a good chance they will be "tipped", as in a little something like this

2037205_400x400.jpg

Oh, and one more thing, re the walking for the age, our trainer says you can do it twice a day ok, so long as he rests plenty in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

He cant have ears like that while he is any form of puppy. I will die! When he Is very alert and playful, one will go almost completely up, and I cant deal with the cuteness.

Hes learned to 'leave it' during a game of tug and Is fetching successfully in the house. Some serious bwains in this chap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    He cant have ears like that while he is any form of puppy. I will die! When he Is very alert and playful, one will go almost completely up, and I cant deal with the cuteness.

Hes learned to 'leave it' during a game of tug and Is fetching successfully in the house. Some serious bwains in this chap!

How do you teach leave it? Have adopted a 4 year old lab (so not as bright as a collie) but the leave it command is going to be really necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

How do you teach leave it? Have adopted a 4 year old lab (so not as bright as a collie) but the leave it command is going to be really necessary.

Well we get him playing tug, get him all rialled up as well, and then just stop, still holding the toy. Just literally stop tugging it, hold it steady and after about 10 seconds, Opie got bored with it and let go, second he did I rewarded him and said "Leave it". I gave him a treat and the toy back for more play. Now he knows leave it, and he knows if he doesn't do it, I stop playing.

He only got one walk yesterday (the weather got really poor) but we played fetch for a full 20 minutes in the garden. We were able to apply leave it here, as he knows if he doesnt "leave" the ball, I won't throw it! (I make sure I don't chase him for it, because that makes it a game).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Thanks a mil for that. He's not much of a ball player so not sure if I'll be able to use that. He is massively food driven, so I've started a wait command on his food -which he is really good at. I'm going to try him with a leave command too on his food and see if that works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement