Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting part time job to do a job bridge

Options
  • 22-10-2014 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I graduated in 2013 with a 2:1 in Marketing. I've been unable to find paid work because I have no experience. I've been unable to find an internship because they are all job bridge schemes and I am unable to do them because I work part time in a shop. I have applied for a few, saying that I can work an unpaid internship but the company says they want a job bridge candidate.

This is very disheartening as I am willing to work for free to progress my career and no one will give me a chance to work. Are there any other graduates with this problem?

I am considering quitting my part time job, going on the dole and doing a job bridge to get experience. It's seems like the only option at this stage.

What is the process like applying for the dole? How long do you need to wait before you can undertake a job bridge?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think you could be looking at waiting 9 weeks to get the dole and then another three months before you can apply for a jobbridge.

Would you consider staying in your part time job and volunteering part time for a charity/smaller local company. I mean could you volunteer for a marketing role in the shop you are working in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You work part time so sign on the dole for the time you aren't working, you probably won't get any money but you might qualify for JB. Make an appointment with the local SW office and ask them, worst that happens they say no and you have to quit your job and getting nothing for 9 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 15 angrygrad

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think you could be looking at waiting 9 weeks to get the dole and then another three months before you can apply for a jobbridge.

Would you consider staying in your part time job and volunteering part time for a charity/smaller local company. I mean could you volunteer for a marketing role in the shop you are working in?

Thank you for the reply.
    I have been looking for part time work outside my paid job with no avail. All the internships I find are full time. Working for a charity volunteering is a good idea, I'll definitely consider that option. Thank you!

It's good to know the time frame I'm looking at. I'm make an appointment with the sw office and see what they say. Thank you!

• Advertisement

modmuffin wrote: »
    Sent you a PM

Hi. I never got a pm from you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I think you need to be on the dole for 3 months before doing a jobbridge might have changed now since. Jobbridge are particular about that sort of thing. If you were doing a course they probably wouldn't take you on even if it were just an unpaid internship they can be quiet strict that you need to be fully eligible for a jobbridge. Its like those that might receive the DSA weren't entitled to a jobbridge only in the last two years.

Advertisement