Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity name change

Options
  • 22-10-2014 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

My friend and her boyfriend moved in together a while back. They since broke up. She moved out but he is staying on the apartment.

The electricity bill is in her name but she wants it to be transferred to him so she can be done with the whole arrangement. He is refusing to take it on or make the call to transfer the bill to his name.

She went to the landlord, he said its a domestic dispute and doesn't want to get involved. She rang the electricity company and they said he has to ring to accept the transfer.

What can she do?

Mods if this is in the wrong sub, apologies.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Can she not ring and say she is moving out. Take a meter reading and pay the last bill.

Does it have to be transferred into someone else's name? What happens when the tenants move out and don't know who the new tenants will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ForEffsSake

Is the boyfriend listed on the bill or is it completely in her name? If in her name, it should be straightforward. You can't just transfer bills to people - it would be abused so the Electric company are right not to do this.
    Get a final meter reading if possible - or just guess a bit more than last bill's meter reading. Tell the Electric company you've moved and want to close the account and pay the final bill. Just pretend your a normal renter who's leaving a rental property - don't need to mention anything about the fact that she's broken up with a boyfriend, they won't care.

If you leave a rented accommodation in normal circumstances, you don't necessarily know who's going to be paying the bill after you so just treat it as such.
    They'll start sending the bill to The Occupier of the property who will be the boyfriend and he'll have to register then.
    The boyfriend is being a plonker and the landlord is probably within his rights - it is none of his business - but he may have to make it his business if fellow doesn't pay his electricity bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

As the named bill payer she should give her petulant ex a choice, he can transfer the account to his own name or, as the person in control of the account, she can request that the supply be cut off and he can sit in the dark if he wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If the ex won't co-operate then she can close her account and pay €80 for the electricity to be disconnected. He'll then need to pay a reconnection fee of €80, wait for a reconnection engineer to come out and put the bill in his name. The bill will never be addressed to 'The Occupier'. That's for Electric Ireland anyway, not sure about other companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

She needs to cancel her contract with ESB and pay the last bill

He needs to start a new contract with ESB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Thanks for all the replies.
    I'll pass them all on.

I think she wasn't aware that she could just finalise the account and leave him in the dark. I think she'll like that idea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

If the ex won't co-operate then she can close her account and pay €80 for the electricity to be disconnected. He'll then need to pay a reconnection fee of €80, wait for a reconnection engineer to come out and put the bill in his name. The bill will never be addressed to 'The Occupier'. That's for Electric Ireland anyway, not sure about other companies.

Yes they will, if she calls the supplier, requests to close her account, they will issue a "To the New Occupier" letter to the property giving about 14 days to open a new account or else it will be cut off.

They will try and get the name of the new occupant (the boyfriend) in this case but she is not obliged to provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Patrickof wrote: »
    Yes they will, if she calls the supplier, requests to close her account, they will issue a "To the New Occupier" letter to the property giving about 14 days to open a new account or else it will be cut off.

They will try and get the name of the new occupant (the boyfriend) in this case but she is not obliged to provide it.

Big difference between a letter going to 'the occupier' and a bill. Like I said, they will not send a bill to an unnamed person.

OP they won't want to cut the electricity off, it'll be a last resort if they just can't get a name for the bill. They will try in a few ways to get a name to contact to confirm. Best of luck to your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Big difference between a letter going to 'the occupier' and a bill. Like I said, they will not send a bill to an unnamed person.

OP they won't want to cut the electricity off, it'll be a last resort if they just can't get a name for the bill. They will try in a few ways to get a name to contact to confirm. Best of luck to your friend.

I have a debt collection letter here from a debt company (an EI debt) addressed to:

The New Occupier
    Address
    Address
    Co County

(but I digress). And I'd like to see them put that in front of a judge!

Advertisement