Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHS vs. Health Insurance in the UK

Options
  • 22-10-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi. I'm finding limited info on this and just wanted to get peoples' opinions. I've just moved to the UK but when I was in Ireland, health insurance was an absolute must in my mind. Is it the same in the UK or is the NHS a dependable enough service? I'm not sick or anything but I did need an endoscopy last year and the process was seemless. Just went in, got it done as a precaution and left again. I'm presuming the NHS won't be as easy to negotiate in a case such as that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭SBarrett

Don't they run the health service under trusts over there? From what I remember reading, the level of service is very dependent on where you live.

From the experience I have had of a family member having cancer in the UK, he got absolutely top class service from the NHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

SBarrett wrote: »
    Don't they run the health service under trusts over there? From what I remember reading, the level of service is very dependent on where you live.

From the experience I have had of a family member having cancer in the UK, he got absolutely top class service from the NHS.

It very much depends where you live.
    My wife was being treated for 2 years without progress in the UK after seeing numerous doctors/consultants, we moved back to Ireland and was sorted in 6 weeks, with one procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The NHS is held up as an example of a fantastic health service, but if you read about it this is often far from the truth.

As someone who grew up in NI I would say that if you are seriously ill you will get seen relatively quickly and dealt with, but waiting times are long for non-critical things.

I had the option of insuring my family with a work health plan, and I took it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I lived in the UK for quite a bit and had health insurance as part of my benefits package.

It depends on where you live - for the few health scares we had the Health Insurance was 'useless' as the NHS just swung into high gear for us and the level of care was excellent. This included a situation where we had a critically ill child to deal with.

I'd say if you are young, healthy etc the health insurance is a bit of a waste of time because if you do need health care it's likely to be on an emergency basis - and the health insurance doesn't get you to A&E any quicker.

If you are older and / or likely to need elective treatments or long term type care for a condition then private health insurance would be worth it. From my own experience with kids there the care is superb if they need treatment.

Also there is a lot more 'joined up' care where your GP is much better integrated into any treatments you are having.

I think your main problems will be getting in to (on the list of) a decent GP practice and a decent dental practice.

.....and in my experience the 'nightmare' stories about the NHS are tame compared to the HSE here!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Basically what Jawgap says.

I know people in work who have cancelled their company subsidised health plan to save some money.

Their logic? If me or the family get really sick then we will get sorted quickly, but if we have a minor ailment then it can wait.

To be honest, I can see the logic in this, as we have excesses to pay on any treatment you go for, and these are rising each year. And if anyone did take seriously ill, you will not be made to wait on the NHS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement