Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions for experienced breeders

• 22-10-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm hoping I could pick your brains a bit... :) My girl Amy is expecting puppies, she's just over 6 weeks pregnant and is expecting 6+ pups (she's been scanned) Before anyone asks, both parents are show champions and health tested for breed specific issues.

1. Amy is raw fed, I've increased her daily intake by approx. 20% so far and I've also started to split her meals into 3 smaller portions. Anyway, I've read about not giving bones for the last 2 weeks, in order for her body to start storing calcium. Is that correct? Also I've read different suggestions about how much to feed. Any thoughts on that? I don't want to put unnecessary weight on her, but want to give her enough to sustain her increasing needs if you know what I mean.

2. Whelping box and kit. What do you find to be the best set up for whelping box? I was thinking vet bed with newspapers under it. Would that be ok? Also would she be better off in a spare bedroom on her own with the pups, or should we keep her in a living room with us? We're a quiet household just myself and OH so no major disturbance and also I don't want her to feel "pushed away". But we have a male as well, so will they need to be separated completely, or just in the situations where we won't be able to keep an eye on them? Also to prevent contraction of some diseases, would let's say using a sanitizer of some sort for paws be any good? Or am I overthinking it?

As for whelping kit, I checked these: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/whelpingkit.htm Is there anything significant missing? What did you find particularly useful?

3. Puppy contracts. I've contracts for both our dogs, unfortunately they're from different country, so not sure if the same could be used here. Would any of you be willing to share yours? If so, could you PM me, I would be most grateful.

4. Recommendations for a good, sturdy puppy pen, heating pads etc are welcomed.

That's about it for starters, sorry about the length :) I'm also in regular contact with our vet and both breeders of our dogs, was just hoping to get some advice here as well. If you have anything to add, something I didn't think of, please do say, I'm happy for every bit of info I can get :)

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm not going to try to advise, but having had the pleasure of meeting the young couple, I just want to wish Amy and Bandi all the very best with their new family :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I had a huge reply typed out but I closed the fecking page by mistake aaahh.

Firstly, congrats on your due litter. Can I ask what breed they are?

I got a whelping box made by a friend, it was a good sized one made from mdf or whatever you call that wood that is easily wiped. I got it made high enough at the sides and with a little door on the front that she could hop over when open but then was high enough when closed that the pups couldn't jump out when older.
    I had to put pig rails in mine too as they you need them with the bigger breeds.

I cant comment on the raw as I don't know enough about that.

Stock up on plenty of vet bed, towels and newspaper as you will go through loads and kitchen roll too. Get yourself a good antibacterial spray for the whelping box to clean it out everyday and use on yourself or people that come to visit.

I also used Goats milk when I weaned my pups, cost a bloody fortune but was worth it as they did so well on it, along with their food.
    Some of the dog food companies do Puppy packs for free if you use their weaning food.

With my pups, I sent them off with a goody bag that had the likes of a small bag of food to start them off with, treats, toys, info on the breed etc.

If you send me your email address Ill have a look for my contracts and I can send it to you and see what you think. You can really have anything you want in the contract, but just make sure the new owners read it all and know exactly what they are signing and are happy with all the conditions.

I endorsed all my pups, not to be bred from. I told the owners, that once they are hip scored and they scores are satisfactory, that I would lift the endorsement for them. If I remember it was only €13 to place the endorsement on each pup.

If you have any other queries just shout.

Be prepared for a lot of stress, worry and busy weeks ahead of you. My life was practically on hold for 8 weeks so its not a walk in the park. But I had a wonderful litter of 7 puppies, all healthy and no issues, thank god. The birth was an experience and even though I have lots of experience with animals and that, I found it very stressful and worrying. Thankfully I had a friend on the other end of the phone that was able to talk me through things.

Keep us posted anyway!!

Oh just to add. I had the whelping box in the kitchen, again like you, my house is quiet with only 2 of us in it so there isn't a huge amount of noise.
    If you have another dog, just make sure they keep their distance, esp around whelping time as you want her to feel safe and not threatened.

You will be amazed how instinct kicks in and even though they were best of friends she wont like him or her near her once puppies arrive.

My bitch wasn't happy with Cooper anywhere near the whelping box for the first week or so but gradually she relaxed and wasn't too bad. But just never leave them unsupervised just in case.

I had a box full of diff bits for my whelping items, from latex gloves, to scissors, iodine, KY Jelly, Vaseline, weighing scales (to weigh the pups) Milk replacer and bottles, just in case, thermometer etc.

A heat pad will come in handy too. I borrowed one from a friend and my pups loved it. Always lay on it.

You will need to record her temp on the few days shes due. Once you get a drop in temp she will have her pups within 24 hours.

Have some paper, pen etc so you can record times of birth, weights etc.
    Get the puppy collars too, they are great esp if you have a breed like mine where they are all the same colour. You can get them on ebay. Here are the ones I used, they are great as they are Velcro and you can adjust them every few days as they grow.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/12-WhelpIDcollars-Whelping-Puppy-Kitten-ID-Velcro-Collar-Bands-For-Breeders-/251462571898?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&var=&hash=item3a8c56577a

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

Thank you Andreac for all the advice, very grateful. Hope it's ok to mention the breed, they are Australian cattledogs, medium sized breed. We are currently stocking up on everything we could possibly need, so hopefully all will be good. Vet will be on call, should anything go wrong, and he will come out afterwards to check on the bitch and pups.

Our pups will be endorsed as well, with the option to lift it should they prove themselves worthy of breeding.
    I'll PM you my email address for the contracts.
    Thanks again

Oh wow, love Cattle dogs, they are fab. I met a few over at Discover Dogs at Crufts and fell in love. Was thinking if I had to choose another breed it could prob be them. But just don't know I could offer them enough exercise that they require, being herding/working dogs.

Well feel free to contact me anytime. Ive only ever bred one litter and don't intend to do it again anytime soon, but it was a great experience.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I love them too, such a fantastic breed they are. :) In terms of exercise, ours get 2 walks a day, morning for about an hour and afternoon about 1 1/2, plus a game of fetch which they absolutely love and a few mins of training and tricks learning thrown into the mix to keep the mind busy as well. It seems to be enough for them, since they're quiet enough while in the house, they usually spend it sleeping on the couch or assisting with household duties, preferably cooking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

If you haven't already read it, I can suggest Book of the Bitch as a fantastic source of info.

Best of luck, I'm not an experienced breeder, but have had a few rescue litters born here, and they were enough for me. :)

So an update is due, 8 beautiful puppies were born friday/saturday night, Amy's doing fine, pups are drinking/sleeping :D I have to say, it is a stressful event for all involved, luckily we had a great support in our vet's assistant Sandy, who was talking to us every couple hours over the phone, so a big thanks goes to her, another one to the vet who saw us in the morning, and another to our own vet, who even though he's out of the country, gave us a call to check how's everybody's doing :)

Here's a picture of the little ones

327829.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

omg im in puppy love again I just cant get enough of pups

ya even the bit when mam decides shes no longer on toilet cleaning duty

she looks so happy and contented

Woohooooo :pac:
    Congratulations Amy, daddy Bandi, and Granny and Grandad ACD :D
    They all look fine and healthy ACD!
    Does the ACD colouring develop as they get older, or how does it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's lovely to see a pic of a litter of puppies and wholeheartedly enjoy the moment. :) Usually, it's random-bred litters that should never have been born, or a litter being sold purely for profit, at the expense of the poor bitch. We need more people like you, OP! :) The pups look absolutely gorgeous and so sparkly clean and comfortable! Mum has beautiful colouring. <3

Thanks, everyone, they really are amazing, Amy is soooo good with them... Yes DBB, their coloring will come around 2/3 weeks, it looks like we're gonna have 6 blue ones and 2 are uncertain, but they could be red :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

ACD wrote: »
    looks like we're gonna have 6 blue ones and 2 are uncertain, but they could be red :D

There will be pics, right? :)

boomerang wrote: »
    There will be pics, right? :)
    Of course, I will flood you all with puppy pics :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

They are just adorable!! When their full colour comes in do the darker patches on their heads still stay? I love to see a happy healthy litter of puppies :D

Yes, the markings will stay, it's the only way to know what colour the pups will be, black markings mean blue pups, red markings would be red, we have 2 pups with no markings, so my guess is red, but we'll have to wait a bit to know for sure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Annnd I've subscribed to the thread :) congrats OP!! The pups are stunning, I love Australian Cattle Dogs, although I've never had the pleasure of meeting them in person. You must be chuffed to bits with the little bundles :D

Can't wait to see pics of them as they progress, and especially as their colouring comes in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Lovely pics!
    What colour is 'dad'?
    When I saw the pic of the first puppy - behind the bitches front legs - I thought the colour was 'odd' - what colour do you think it will be? The bitches colouring is fab.

Dad is blue, that picture was taken few hours after they were born, he had a tint of the greenish stuff that came out of mum despite her best efforts to clean him, he's much more white today :D He has black markings, so he'll be blue like daddy,

Hope this is okay ACD!
    Here's a pic of dad posted previously :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89913903&postcount=8554

And some pics of mam and dad
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89646638&postcount=8475

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

DBB wrote: »

Oh wow! They are so stunning! Can't wait to see pics of the pups as they grow into those amazing looks, in miniature :D Although they look gorgeous already, of course, as all happy, healthy pups do :)

Thank you all for the lovely comments, pups are doing fine, they're all gaining weight,and all they do is sleep and drink :D Mum is taking such a good care of them... This morning I've noticed she has a small bald patch just above her nose, which I assume is from licking the pups. So far I'm putting vaseline on it, anything else I could do?

Sooo, a week has passed and puppies have grown considerably, their feet are starting to get darker and some of them are getting a tiny bit of their colouring around their paws...

Things we have learned so far: trimming nails on wriggly puppies is fun ;D ,
    puppy smell is gorgeous, trying to study beside the whelping box is hard- not that the pups would be much of a disturbance, but I just have to keep looking at them :D

328556.jpg

328557.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

The little 'green' one is still a bit 'green' :D I'll have that one please :D

In the 1st photo, the "Purple" one looks like he is sucking the "Red" ones ear:) Maximum cuteness! Keep the photos coming

One green puppy coming your way :D

328597.jpg

But have to disappoint you, eventually he's gonna look like his father :P

328598.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

One green puppy coming your way :D

328597.jpg

He's mine!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I was thinking of Green Puppy today while watching Z Nation with radioactive zombies who glowed from phosphorescent bacteria. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

They are gorgeous dogs, please keep the pics coming, I'd love to see the colouring coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Sooo, a week has passed and puppies have grown considerably, their feet are starting to get darker and some of them are getting a tiny bit of their colouring around their paws...

Things we have learned so far: trimming nails on wriggly puppies is fun ;D ,
    puppy smell is gorgeous, trying to study beside the whelping box is hard- not that the pups would be much of a disturbance, but I just have to keep looking at them :D

328556.jpg

328557.jpg

mam is doing a brilliant job they are a picture of health

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

That's exactly what I needed to see this morning - little fat happy wriggly puppies :) looking forward to seeing the colours coming in OP, and the havoc they create for you after their eyes open and they start moving around :D

Advertisement