Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Better headlights, or HID lights

• 22-10-2014 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

Did a commute in (mostly) dark on the Deauville the other day -- the headlight was sadly lacking. This seems to be a thing with them.

Is there a drop-in bulb replacement that's going to be any use? Or are there places that'll provide decent instructions (or fit) a HID bulb with the electronics around? I'm reasonably handy with a set of socket wrenches but I'm leary of opening up something I don't fully understand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

You can swap the bulbs to something like an Osram night breaker which are always a great improvement over a standard bulb.

But no matter what bulb you put into a bike it is largely down to the reflectors in the headlights. If they suck then no matter what bulb you put in then its still going to suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Deauville here too, and lights not great. Is there a recommended HID kit that anyone's used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have used this guy twice on two different bikes: http://www.hid50.com

I reckon he is probably a bit far for you to travel to for the full service, but he supplies kits for self fitting and will provide plenty of support and information. His kit is really, really good.

Get in touch with him and have a chat.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭kirving

Not a biker, but just saw this on the front page.

Get the best headlight you can, as much as I can't stand being blinded by other cars, I'd much rather be blinded by a bike than not see them when I'm at a junction.

MrPudding wrote: »
    I have used this guy twice on two different bikes: http://www.hid50.com

I reckon he is probably a bit far for you to travel to for the full service, but he supplies kits for self fitting and will provide plenty of support and information. His kit is really, really good.

Get in touch with him and have a chat.

MrP

Looks ideal - any recommendation for a specific product from this guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Bawnmore wrote: »

Or anyone that'd supply and/or fit in General leinster area? My general preference is for local lads.

I would just get in touch with Les and have a chat with him. He is a really good guy and knows his stuff, very helpful.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Id say there would be a couple of lads willing to get a set of HIDs on bikes, maybe we should see about a boards group deal. I for one would happily get a set if as Brucy would say "THE PRICE IS RIGHT!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

MrPudding wrote: »
    I would just get in touch with Les and have a chat with him. He is a really good guy and knows his stuff, very helpful.

MrP

+1

I got a HID set from Les a few years ago. I've never had a problem with it and it makes a huge difference at night!

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Or anyone that'd supply and/or fit in General leinster area? My general preference is for local lads.

Many of the kits from Les (HID50) are made to measure for specific bikes and simple to fit!

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Id say there would be a couple of lads willing to get a set of HIDs on bikes, maybe we should see about a boards group deal. I for one would happily get a set if as Brucy would say "THE PRICE IS RIGHT!"

I'd be up for this as well.

Where is this guy based Ireland or USA or what?

I was thinking the same. You would think the "About us" or "Contact us" on the website would mention it......

goodlad wrote: »
    I was thinking the same. You would think the "About us" or "Contact us" on the website would mention it......

Site looks very American, but he prolly in Finglas or something lol.

Where is this guy based Ireland or USA or what?

In the UK!

He quoted me prices in GBP (99 for 35w and 120 for 50w kit with ballast and all wiring and widgets for a H4 kit for the deauville).

I reckon I'm still too much of a leper to install it myself, so if there's a HID wiring up party somewhere I'm in :-)

He quoted me prices in GBP (99 for 35w and 120 for 50w kit with ballast and all wiring and widgets for a H4 kit for the deauville).

I reckon I'm still too much of a leper to install it myself, so if there's a HID wiring up party somewhere I'm in :-)

Give Leppla off here a PM lad is a whizz with electrics.....done many a HID kit on bikes and cars and is very reasonable with prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I just ordered a set from these guys http://stores.ebay.ie/ultra-hids for £25 I have not received them yet but communication from the seller has been good so far and I doubt there could be a £95 difference.

Have a look and see what they have for your bike before you shell out over the odds .

leppla wrote: »
    I just ordered a set from these guys http://stores.ebay.ie/ultra-hids for £25 I have not received them yet but communication from the seller has been good so far and I doubt there could be a £95 difference.

Have a look and see what they have for your bike before you shell out over the odds .

Great stuff - let us know how you get on once received.

What exactly have you bought for £25?

MrP

• Advertisement

I'm wondering the same thing. There is no HID kit on that site for £25 that i can see.

Ah you just done the one light. Why not do both high and low and use a kit that leaves both high and low on but there is a cover over the high that instantly moves when you flick it on? As in a Bi-Xenon kit as this will eliminate the one side being low beam and one being high.

The Bi-Xenon kit on each side will give you dual headlights all the time.

Anyone ever buy from HIDs Direct? They seem to have a great reputation on Ebay, and a Hi/Lo kit can be got for about 53 quid delivered (for a Deauville at least).

goodlad wrote: »
    Ah you just done the one light. Why not do both high and low and use a kit that leaves both high and low on but there is a cover over the high that instantly moves when you flick it on? As in a Bi-Xenon kit as this will eliminate the one side being low beam and one being high.

The Bi-Xenon kit on each side will give you dual headlights all the time.

I have done HID conversions on cars before and I never liked HID on full beam. I think a nightbreaker or similar is better for full beam.

With regards having each side on at the same time there are a couple of options I am researching at the moment for my bike. This is just a quick,cheap and easy fix for now as it is getting very dark now.

My plan eventually is to replace the headlight assembly and have both sides on together for low beam with HIDs fitted.

And Have a full beam on each side also with nightbreakers fitted.

I have done HID conversions on cars before and I never liked HID on full beam. I think a nightbreaker or similar is better for full beam.

With regards having each side on at the same time there are a couple of options I am researching at the moment for my bike. This is just a quick,cheap and easy fix for now as it is getting very dark now.

My plan eventually is to replace the headlight assembly and have both sides on together for low beam with HIDs fitted.

And Have a full beam on each side also with nightbreakers fitted.

Then once that is done, sell it and get an 1190

:pac::pac::pac:

Then once that is done, sell it and get an 1190

:pac::pac::pac:

Shh don't let her hear ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Can anyone recommend a good small driving light, preferably not round. Would like to beef up light on my h-d. LED would be good

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Anyone ever buy from HIDs Direct? They seem to have a great reputation on Ebay, and a Hi/Lo kit can be got for about 53 quid delivered (for a Deauville at least).

I picked up their HID kit, which looks like it has everything, but no instructions whatsoever, so it's off to youtube and guesswork for me :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement