Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walkers!

Options
  • 22-10-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can I get your views on walkers. My LG is 10 months old and wondering weather to put her in one or not.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They stop the child learning to get their balance and learning to walk. My 10 month old spends his days bumming around on the floor which he loves.

When hes tired we put him in his pram or if were out of the room and want him safe, we have an entertainer he can sit in.

They also pose a safety risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Something like a Jumperoo or a stationary play centre is a good alternative to a walker. I wouldn't use one personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

I did my research online and came to the same conclusion as the ladies above. The jumperoo is a great alternative for somewhere to put him/her entertained and safe. My little one is 10 months and she stands around it now aswell, playing with it and getting her balance (because it swings she can't lean on it completely). She also uses the push-along a bit to lean on and stand around!

The issue for me with the walkers wasn't necessarily safety, it was the affect on the childs' posture. When walking in them, the child leans the pelvis forward to push the weight in the direction they want to go. It is great fun and I honestly have no idea how long or often a child would need to be in it for it to have a negative lasting affect but I chose not to chance it and found really good alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

They are banned in some countries, with good reason. I would like to see them banned here too. Developmentally and safety wise they are a no for me. Jumperoo is the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We had this one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bright-Starts-Entertain-Grow-Saucer/dp/B007700R72 It was great to pop him in when I was grabbing a shower etc. Also, it caters for much heavier weights than the jumperoo. I found it great for popping him in to watch a short cartoon and give him nibbles on the little tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

We used a walker for some occasions (never more than an hour) but also had the jumperoo thing.

Our little fella started walking at 10 months and now he is 11 months he walks around fine on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Many years ago I was in the same ward in hospital as a little boy, he was probably only 3 at the time, who was having plastic surgery for horrific injuries caused by an accident when he was in a walker.

I won't elaborate but it's nearly 30 years ago and I've never forgotten him. We had a jumperoo and it did the job for us but both of mine were on the floor from 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

ciaran76 wrote: »
    We used a walker for some occasions (never more than an hour) but also had the jumperoo thing.

Our little fella started walking at 10 months and now he is 11 months he walks around fine on his own.

An hour!! :eek: most physio's/hcp only recommend the jumperoo or entertainment centre for 20 mins or so max at a time.

An hour!! :eek: most physio's/hcp only recommend the jumperoo or entertainment centre for 20 mins or so max at a time.

I meant the walker for an hour.

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I meant the walker for an hour.

That's still :eek: an hour is a long time for an infant to be in anything of that nature be it a walker/jumper/activity centre, but particularly so with walkers given the fact that most physios/hcps don't recommend them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

How is there such a market for these walkers if they are highly not reccomended, most people on here don't have them and all public health nurses don't reccomended them etc.

I don't have one as I don't have space and I don't like them but I know lots of people who still do have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

monflat wrote: »
    How is there such a market for these walkers if they are highly not reccomended, most people on here don't have them and all public health nurses don't reccomended them etc.

I don't have one as I don't have space and I don't like them but I know lots of people who still do have them.

I think (and could be wrong) but there's still a market for them because a lot of people would have used them when they were babies, and well meaning grandparents etc will say ye all turned out fine sure what's wrong with them etc. Like a lot of baby things. Also some people may not agree with the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They are fine if used correctly in a safe environment, if you look at the studies the main issues with them is that the environment is not set up for them- issues such as kids falling down the stairs using them or getting access to things they normally wouldn't be able to reach.

They are fine if used correctly in a safe environment, if you look at the studies the main issues with them is that the environment is not set up for them- issues such as kids falling down the stairs using them or getting access to things they normally wouldn't be able to reach.

It's not just that. In addition to safety concerns, there can be physical effects. They can encourage babies to walk on their toes, not distribute their weight in a natural manner which in turn leads to balance issues, it can aggravate undiagnosed hip or knee problems, they can cause babies to tilt forward or lean back too far again affecting the ability to balance. Now granted not every baby who uses a walker will encounter these issues, and others may experience the issues but learn to correct them once actually walking, but why take a chance? They can cause some babies to walk unaided later - again not all babies - but there is no way to know for sure if your choice to use a walker will have a detrimental effect. Personally I don't understand the rush to get babies mobile. They will walk/crawl/bum around when they're ready. Why the need to getnthem doing it sooner with a walking aid like the walkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

monflat wrote: »

parents are trying to buy their way out of active parenting? will pay any buck for those 30mins of piece and quiet. it applies to a lot toys and distractions. best line for advertising them is "will keep your child entertained for hours and hours" :rolleyes:

I watched my child in his walker. It was great as he loved standing at the window looking out at the cats.

A neighbour of ours warned me about how they can slow some kids from walking properly.

I was very aware of the possible side effects but I watched my child and his development and could see it didn't effect him.

As I said he started walking at 10 months old.
    My neighbours child who is of similar age who is more slight then mine I could see would not be suitable as he didn't stand on his own and preferred crawling.

I think it's down to parents and making their house safe and knowing if your child is capable.

We also brought the little lad swimming and some yoga and think they also helped him walk and stand from an early age.

Would I use one again? Depends on how the child is developing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My cousin was badly injured in one as a child. His walker ran over some toys and toppled over. It did permanent damage.

A doctor once told me that children walk with their brains, not their legs... I know loads of babies who walked at 10 months who never had walkers, and some who walked at 16 months who did. No amount of leg exercises make a tap of difference. It's a developmental step, something in the brain that is different for every child.

For me, they are far too dangerous. Brain damage, breaking their necks etc are risks I cannot justify, no matter how much fun a toy gives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I see absolutely no good reason to use one, ever. No matter how closely you watch the child, it only takes a second for them to splat their face open on the ground - the instinct is to grab for the walker rather than to put their arms out to save themselves.

If they delay your child's development, this is not a good thing. If you feel they help your child to stand/walk sooner, this is not a good thing either - children should be allowed to develop at their own natural pace, when their bodies are ready for it.

There are plenty of other ways to entertain babies and toddlers - those things are far too dangerous and not worth the risks involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The local nurse advised us not to use one on the latest child, said they are best avoided.

I noticed on the previous child who used a walker, that they stood on their tiptoes a lot when they were learning to walk and also stood a lot on the outside of their foot when balancing.

I can see their point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Hmmm just realised (via Google) that there are two types of walkers - there is this kind - this is the kind I meant in my post above, which is a face-splatting accident just waiting to happen, and there is this kind - where they're less likely to fall - but very likely to bump into things and send them crashing down - and, as pwurple explained, they can topple over. Also you can absolutely see how it encourages them to use their feet, legs and hips in a way that isn't natural.

Just let them develop at their own pace. No need at all for this sort of thing! Even if they learn how to walk in that unnatural contraption, they're pretty much going to have to relearn again once you take them out and they have to learn how to balance their body weight by themselves.

Hmmm just realised (via Google) that there are two types of walkers - there is this kind - this is the kind I meant in my post above, which is a face-splatting accident just waiting to happen, and there is this kind - where they're less likely to fall - but very likely to bump into things and send them crashing down - and, as pwurple explained, they can topple over. Also you can absolutely see how it encourages them to use their feet, legs and hips in a way that isn't natural.

Just let them develop at their own pace. No need at all for this sort of thing! Even if they learn how to walk in that unnatural contraption, they're pretty much going to have to relearn again once you take them out and they have to learn how to balance their body weight by themselves.
    We have the first kind but it has a brake so my pair usually sit in front of it to play with it or just pull themselves up. We got them as presents. I wasn't happy with how quick they move and was going to give them away but hubby did something to the wheels and made them stiffer so it is unlikely to run away from them. (I think he added in a cog or something so the wheels don't turn so freely). Even at that I stand in front of it while the baby 'pushes' it.

Advertisement