Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on a classic car help!

Options
  • 22-10-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey! I just have a question on getting insured on a classic car! I am looking at buying a 1990 Toyota Corolla, purely because I just love them and I would love one for my first car and 2 of my other friends have 2 other generations of corollas so I'd love to make it a hat-trick! (They have the E101 and E110 Corolla!) I am just wondering would I be able to get insured on a 1990 Corolla for my First Car, I will have my full license when I start driving and I am aware to get the classic insurance you have to be 25 or older with a Full Driving License, Since it is 1990, it's only 24 years old so it's not classic yet but by the time I have it all tidied up the way i want it and get money for insurance and get my full licence it will be 25 years old so it will be a classic, would I be able to get insured on it seeing as I will be 20 years old with a full license? Thanks in advance!
    Dave!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqosSiG6Ylld_rggNcX20T1shB2LZU50bBL4yPa6LAT9B0HfkJwQ

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'm sure you'll get insurance from someone, but it won't be 'classic' insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yeah, normally to get Classic Insurance you have to have another car insured on a regular policy. SHop around though and you should find a normal policy from somewhere.

Edit: you wont get classic ins anyway until you are 25

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Sorry to say Dave, you'll have your work cut-out find an insurer, but even when you do, the premium will still be eyewatering.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I suppose I would be in a good position right here to tell you how hard it is to insure an older car as I went and bought my first car, a '90 Corolla GTI for my 20th birthday last year and had a nightmare then trying to get her insured. First and foremost, Aviva will take you on but expect a stupidly high price. I was coming off 3 years named driving with a full for 2 years and I have a list written down at home of the 27 (Yah, 27!!!!) companies and brokers that I rang who refused to quote me. The main issue is that on one hand the vehicle is over 15 years old which most companies set as their almost acceptable boundary meaning getting a regular quote is mad hard. On the flip side, the car can be got on a classic policy but the companies that offer that only do so when the driver, even a named one, is over 25 years of age and on the condition that a second main vehicle is insured!! The only option I had was to store the car for 3 months and wait until the family car was sold and we transferred the existing policy, with me as a named in the fathers name, onto the Rolla. Although we got flahed at renewel time, its worth it for the chance to keep an older car on the road, but the second you have an accident the policy wasnt worth a jot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

25 for classic ins i think carol nash might take younger drivers but not certian.
    anyone under 25 trying to insure cars with gt gti gttdi etc after the model is going to be hammered and if under 21 good luck.

vinnie13 wrote: »
    25 for classic ins i think carol nash might take younger drivers but not certian.
    anyone under 25 trying to insure cars with gt gti gttdi etc after the model is going to be hammered and if under 21 good luck.

You can almost hear a chuckle when the person on the phone puts the reg into the computer and comes back with the single worst string of buzzwords for a young person looking for insurance

'So it's a GTi 16v Twincam Hi-Torque Corolla eh?? I dont think we can offer a quote!'

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

CianDon wrote: »
    You can almost hear a chuckle when the person on the phone puts the reg into the computer and comes back with the single worst string of buzzwords for a young person looking for insurance

'So it's a GTi 16v Twincam Hi-Torque Corolla eh?? I dont think we can offer a quote!'

haha tell me about it on the other side its great to be over 25 where those letters have little difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

vinnie13 wrote: »
    haha tell me about it on the other side its great to be over 25 where those letters have little difference

I thought my insurance woes would be over when I got to 25 but today some shagger told me I had to be over 30 to get classic insurance on a forgettable low-powered Peugeot 405

Try FBD or Carol Nash or First Ireland?? If shes a second car you'd have no problems getting incredibly cheap insurance on the Irish Vintage Society scheme which they run with FBD

• Advertisement

CianDon wrote: »
    Try FBD or Carol Nash or First Ireland?? If shes a second car you'd have no problems getting incredibly cheap insurance on the Irish Vintage Society scheme which they run with FBD

I tried carol nash and they quoted me alright but it was more than my normal insurance costs. Does it make a big difference if you're in a club or not?

Im not sure of the difference but its €25 to join AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Peugeot 405? really? That might be your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Once your car is over 20 years old, you are over 25 and you have a "daily driver" insurance policy already, it should be no problem to get a classic policy from FBD through the IVS. I just got my new disc yesterday, third year with them and the policy has been a constant €165 for TPFT coverage since I joined (plus the €25 membership to the IVS per year). I found this was far and away the easiest way to get classic insurance.

Am after getting a quote now for 240, is it worth the bother to keep looking?

Am after getting a quote now for 240, is it worth the bother to keep looking?

God the scrap metal prices are soaring these days :-P hahaha If shes your main car, bite their hand off Id say. If its a second car that you dont mind having limited milage on, look more into the IVS scheme and save yourself €50!

Advertisement