Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anywhere for students to heat up food?

• 22-10-2014 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Is there anywhere to heat up your own lunch on campus like a microwave?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

I believe the interfaith center used to have a microwave and allowed students to use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Last year Redbrick members had access to the Engineering room where they had a few tables and a microwave. If you join the society this year you might be able to get an access card for that room :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

Redbrick or Engineering Society, both have access to the room in the Physics building/Electronic Engineering building.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

That's the only place? Checked interfaith today and didn't seem to have one (just looked around, didnt ask). You'd think there'd be one somewhere by now with the amount of people who might bring in their own lunch instead of paying €4 for a chicken roll in spar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

That's the only place? Checked interfaith today and didn't seem to have one (just looked around, didnt ask). You'd think there'd be one somewhere by now with the amount of people who might bring in their own lunch instead of paying €4 for a chicken roll in spar.

Only place I am aware of. All the research labs have microwaves, fridges etc. so I dont mind :p They want you to spend money in the restraunt, spar etc. They did say they were going to put 4 in the SU office but never did. In fairness, it is only 5e membership for the room, you only need 1 card between you and your friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭PanicStations

I think the Students Union should really have a few available. I think it would be a good idea to make the suggestion to them, perhaps putting it to them on their facebook page? The Physics building is a bit out of the way, I think I'd like to heat my food and then bring it to the restaurant to eat with my friends, rather than going off on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭cw67irl

I remember this being brought up last year at orientation and there was a health and safety issue about having a microwave available like that. The SU said it was a plan that couldn't get the go ahead even though there was a frequent request for one

Anyone know why there is not a 'health and safety issue' with redbrick providing a microwave, but there is with the SU doing so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The difference being redbrick only provides to members which is a limited number compared to the total student body also
    the SU has insurance for the building and it's operations to consider.

I don't get the insurance argument. Why would the SU have to worry about insurance and not Redbrick? Wouldn't Redbrick or the university have to have insurance? If I burn my tongue on food I have heated in the Redbrick microwave then who is liable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

If there were microwaves in the SU, I would nearly put money on some idiot putting something metallic in it after a night out.... Thereby ruining the fun for everyone.

I have no shame in admitting I only joined redbrick to use the kettle and microwave :P

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭BasedHobbes

I think the Students Union should really have a few available. I think it would be a good idea to make the suggestion to them, perhaps putting it to them on their facebook page? The Physics building is a bit out of the way, I think I'd like to heat my food and then bring it to the restaurant to eat with my friends, rather than going off on my own.

The term "piss up in a brewery" comes to mind when thinking of DCUSU.

Advertisement