Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sequence of upgrading brand new comp to ssd

Options
  • 22-10-2014 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all. I've a new dell arriving soon. It has a standard 1tb disk. I want to install a new ssd , clone exist hd and have comp boot off ssd.

What sequence should I do this in ?
    Should I start ,setup windows and do whatever os updates. Install virus protect software and then clone or clone straight away and do the updates and virus install on new ssd boot drive ?

Any advise and tips appreciated as I'm a mac head and this is my first PC in 15 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭mrtom

davgtrek wrote: »
    Hi all. I've a new dell arriving soon. It has a standard 1tb disk. I want to install a new ssd , clone exist hd and have comp boot off ssd.

What sequence should I do this in ?
    Should I start ,setup windows and do whatever os updates. Install virus protect software and then clone or clone straight away and do the updates and virus install on new ssd boot drive ?

Any advise and tips appreciated as I'm a mac head and this is my first PC in 15 years.

Install update etc then clone. Carefull though, could void your warranty !

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

Thanks MrTom
    I asked them if it would affect the warranty and they told me it wouldn't as I have a hardware warranty.

I felt that adding the ssd before I had lots of files and GB used would be best and also then if I keep the existing HD and use it for storage I also have a second bootable drive if something happened the ssd.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭mrtom

thanks very much for the link. excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭whizbang

A hardware warranty is a hardware only warranty.

If you send you new configuration back to Dell for a warranty issue, you will get the machine back exactly as you ordered it. Minus SSD, minus Data.

Do as little as possible before cloning. You will have heard many people complaining about windows updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Just do the clone but hold the original drive as is and you can pop it back in if warranty becomes an issue. When warranty expires use the original drive as and how you like.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I am interested in doing this.

What I want is for the SSD to have the windows, etc, but the HDD to take all the other stuff, so when I save data it goes onto the HDD, but also any Windows upgrades goto both disks, so the HDD can always be used if the SSD is taken out.

Can this be done easily?

OK so i clone and have new ssd up and running. If I use the dell hd as a second drive to store files on and then some issue occurs where i have to send it back to dell. Couldnt i just put that hd back as boot drive. OH I see the problem now. If machine is going back then i pop in the standard HD as boot drive but its months/years out of date windows wise......

shag it , its still worth the risk i reckon !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I am interested in doing this.

What I want is for the SSD to have the windows, etc, but the HDD to take all the other stuff, so when I save data it goes onto the HDD, but also any Windows upgrades goto both disks, so the HDD can always be used if the SSD is taken out.

Can this be done easily?

The boot drive is the only drive that will do windows updates automatically, however, you could use WSUS Offline Update which allows you to create and update all updates for Windows and Office. It creates the offline updates in executable format so all you have to do is run the exe file you created to apply all updates. It's a really handy option as you don't need to be online to update and you can use your update file to update multiple machines.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement