Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying builder, cash ,cheque , bank transfer, whats the norm

• 22-10-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Hi I am getting a small porch made and have the money in savings under mattress in cash money. I Can pay builder in cash or should i deposit in bank and give him a cheque or bank transfer? how do people normally pay for smaller jobs 3k-5k to builders. Whats the norm?
    Total is 3800.00

PS the guy is A1 so wont be an issue with quality or anything like that

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,796 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

doesnt matter as long as you get a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

gave me receipt before, a 5 inch square duplicat book copy from an easons dupplicate book with a printed on vat reg num.... do the revenue really accept these lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

If it were me I'd be getting a bank draft taken out of my current account for anything up to €5,000. I don't have a cheque book and also I'm not fully sure if a lot of tradesmen will take cheques anymore....many will tell you they had too many bounce on them in the past.

If you have the amount needed under the mattress then do pay him with that I'd suggest. Doubt he'd be complaining anyway.

On a side note thats a lot of cash to have under a mattress. If you own or run a pub or restaurant for example where there is a high turnover of cash that may explain it. However, if this is the case and you would on regular occasions have such sums in your possession I would suggest that a secure built in safe would be a good idea at the very least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

all methods of payment once legal currency are fine. the norm is cash or cheque (or bank draft) but it generally does not matter as Syd said once you get a receipt.

Advertisement