Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man shot dead inside Canadian parliament

• 22-10-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

One man has been shot dead inside Parliament, after a man with a rifle shot a soldier standing guard at the War Memorial in downtown Ottawa. Police and witnesses are reporting more shots at other locations surrounding Parliament Hill.

It was not immediately known if there were further injuries.

Alain Merisier, who works at the cafeteria in the Parliament building, told CBC News that said he saw a man in a car at the Centre Block with a long gun.

Witnesses said they then heard shots fired, and there was an unconfirmed report of a person injured outside the Library of Parliament.

Police confirmed the shooting at the War Memorial, and sealed off the area while the injured soldier was given emergency medical aid. He was later put into an ambulance.

First responders at a shooting at the War Memorial in Ottawa on Oct. 22, 2014 (Daniel Thibeault/CBC)

"We were waiting there for a city tour and suddenly I heard four shots," said Jan Luchtenburg, a tourist visiting downtown Ottawa from Holland.

"Suddenly I saw a small guy with long black hair... with a long rifle, and he ran away after the shots, across streets in the direction of Parliament Hill," he said.

Reevo Namic, another bystander, said "all of a sudden I just heard a shot, turned around and there was a guy with a rifle....and just pow pow."

"Then I saw one of the other armed forces guys just running. He barrelled over, just ran right over. The other guy just dropped. I looked back and just dived underneath and immediately called 911."

The National War Memorial stands in Confederation Square in the heart of downtown Ottawa. The Parliament buildings are to the northeast.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/parliament-hill-attacked-soldier-shot-at-national-war-memorial-in-ottawa-1.2808710

Crazy stuff. Two soldiers(one killed) were knocked down yesterday near Montreal in a suspected terrorist attack.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Ottawa police confirm at least 3 separate shooting sites and multiple suspects.

2, possibly 3 gunman involved in shooting at Canadian Parliament. 1 soldier shot. 1 gunman shot.

Staff at Canada's parliament told to lock doors. "Do not open door under any circumstances"

Canadian military bases being closed after soldier shot at Nat'l War Memorial, ongoing situation near Parliament.

Shots can be heard in this video from inside the building

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAKJHs4_PxE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Suspected terrorist attack by who? Who would be out to get Canada?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

kyles mom ?

mackg wrote: »

Quebec?

• Advertisement

Police confirm 3rd shooting in area of Rideau Centre, mall in downtown Ottawa east of Parliament Hill.

CTV Reporting soldier who was gunned down at the War Memorial is alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Quebec?

the religion of peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Suspected terrorist attack by who? Who would be oot to get Canada?

FYP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Suggestions it might be in retaliation for police shooting dead a Muslim nutter the other day after he rammed his car into two soldiers near Montreal, killing one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Let's hope the shooter isn't oot and aboot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Live footage of the area; http://www.cp24.com/video?clipId=68596

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

They've been fighting in Afghanistan for years, getting ready to start dropping bombs on ISIS too, along with Special Operations Forces getting ready to push into Iraq as advisors.

All of which will be used as justification by the people who carried out this attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Kay burley is on her way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

They got him!

USA! USA! USA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

They got him!
    The Mounties always get their man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

They got him!

USA! USA! USA!

Damn straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Finally someone snapped and started killing politicians.

There won't be much of an outcry over this one.

Take note, TDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

They got him!

USA! USA! USA!

Erm.....

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

ANyone who hates 'em fer their freedom :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

At the moment it is unclear whether or not the guy who was shot represents all Muslims and also all Quebec separatists. I bet he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Whoever is responsible for this tragedy, he's not your friend, buddy.

Its now being reported that the soldier shot near parliament has died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

The soldiers were carrying weapons which were not loaded, that is just ridiculous! Why would a soldier carry an unloaded weapon? Sky news said the rifles were symbolic, symbolic of what? An unloaded gun is just a liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Just putting this out there.

The Canadian PM was due to meet Malala Yousafzai (Nobel-prize winning Pakistani girl) at Canadian Government buildings today… maybe she was a target?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

What happened was terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Nino Brown wrote: »
    The soldiers were carrying weapons which were not loaded, that is just ridiculous! Why would a soldier carry an unloaded weapon? Sky news said the rifles were symbolic, symbolic of what? An unloaded gun is just a liability.

Er. Soldiers carry ceremonial weapons all the time. The chap was at a monument, rather than actually "guarding" anything as such, as I understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

He was standing at a war memorial, it was a drill rifle most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

conorh91 wrote: »

The Canadian PM was due to meet Malala Yousafzai (Nobel-prize winning Pakistani girl) at Canadian Government buildings today… maybe she was a target?

To clarify, Malala was going to be granted honourary Canadian citizenship by PM Harper this afternoon in Toronto.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014/10/21/malala_yousafzai_in_toronto_to_receive_honorary_citizenship.html

Blay wrote: »
    He was standing at a war memorial, it was a drill rifle most likely.

So it was basically a fake rifle? Why? If you don't want weapons there, don't give them weapons, what is the point in giving them drill rifles, or unloaded rifles?

• Advertisement

She was meeting him in Toronto.

www.ctvnews.ca/canada/malala-yousafzai-s-honorary-canadian-citizenship-ceremony-cancelled-pmo-1.2065149

So it was basically a fake rifle? Why? If you don't want weapons there, don't give them weapons, what is the point in giving them drill rifles, or unloaded rifles?

The soldier is guarding the memorial in a symbolic role. They don't need a live rifle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

To clarify, Malala was going to be granted honourary Canadian citizenship by PM Harper this afternoon in Toronto.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014/10/21/malala_yousafzai_in_toronto_to_receive_honorary_citizenship.html
    Ah ok.

Still, may be relevant. Or may be a coincidence. It's certainly an interesting coincidence imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The soldier is guarding the memorial in a symbolic role. They don't need a live rifle.
    ...up until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

kyles mom ?
    It really is too easy for them at times! New season is going to get even better.

...up until now.

Shooter had the advantage anyway so it probably wouldn't have helped him

• Advertisement

Why give them a live rifle?

No reason for that either, well at least not until now.
    But giving somebody an unloaded weapon can make them a target. I would imagine it was easier for the terrorist in this case to shoot an "armed" man. That is probably the reason this guard was shot, to prevent him shooting back, which he couldn't do anyway.
    Like I said, if they don't want the soldiers to carry a gun, don't give them one.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Whoever is responsible for this tragedy, he's not your friend, buddy.

Im not your buddy, guy:D

Ah ok.

Still, may be relevant. Or may be a coincidence. It's certainly an interesting coincidence imo.

Oh, I agree. Harper's trip to Toronto has been cancelled. I haven't seen anything about the event Malala was going to participate in being cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

No reason for that either, well at least not until now.
    But giving somebody an unloaded weapon can make them a target. I would imagine it was easier for the terrorist in this case to shoot an "armed" man. That is probably the reason this guard was shot, to prevent him shooting back, which he couldn't do anyway.
    Like I said, if they don't want the soldiers to carry a gun, don't give them one.

What do you mean "they"? If you've ever seen soldiers parade with weapons anywhere, I have news for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The soldiers were carrying weapons which were not loaded, that is just ridiculous! Why would a soldier carry an unloaded weapon? Sky news said the rifles were symbolic, symbolic of what? An

You'll find that at many war memorials the world over. Soldiers don't tend to carry a loaded weapon while taking part in ceremonial duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Let's hope the shooter isn't oot and aboot.

Is he Scottish? :-)

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Is he Scottish? :-)

He was a member of Hamilton’s Argylls of Canada, 91st Canadian Highlanders, but you're right, that's no reason for the "oot and aboot" line.

He was a member of Hamilton’s Argylls of Canada, 91st Canadian Highlanders, but you're right, no that's reason for the "oot and aboot" line.

I agree the "oot and aboot" thing is tiresome.
    It's like saying all Irish people say "top o' the mornin' ta ya".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There is even a heightened police presence here in Vancouver.

Gintonious wrote: »
    There is even a heightened police presence here in Vancouver.

I bet Victoria is under serious security too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I wonder how many people get murdered in the US ever day?

Point: This is a non story.

Not really a non-story, the gunman was shot dead inside the parliament building.
    Doesn't happen very often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

How is it a non story ?

It came hours after Canada raised its terror threat level, after another soldier was killed on Monday in a hit-and-run attack by a Muslim convert.

The country earlier this month announced plans to join the US-led campaign of air strikes against Islamic State (IS) militants in Iraq.

The elevated terror threat level came in response to an increase in online "general chatter" from radical groups including Islamic State and al-Qaeda, officials said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The fact that its an unprovoked attack on an innocent solider might make it a story.

What an incredibly vile thing to say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement