Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man shot dead inside Canadian parliament

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Wonder when something like this will happen here ?

As I think it's only a matter of time when.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

I wonder how many people get murdered in the US ever day?

Point: This is a non story.

The dead soldiers family and those that were terrified by the events might disagree with you there. Crass post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

realies wrote: »

Ireland isn't engaged in any wars in the middle east so I'd say it's unlikely.
    Then again, who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The dead soldiers family and those that were terrified by the events might disagree with you there. Crass post.

Did you think I meant to offend the dead soldier's family? Of course I didn't.

One person dying in albeit rare circumstances in a foreign parliament is not worthy of the media coverage it has received on this side of the pond. Does anyone know why the media might be going heavy on this story?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Gintonious wrote: »
    There is even a heightened police presence here in Vancouver.

The dildo of a RCMP spokesman, Martine Fontaine, had this to say:

"We encourage people to remain vigilant and suspicious"

And they pay people like this?

Welcome to the United States of Being Terrified off Your Ass, Canada.

:pac:

Murders happen here on frequent occasions, sometimes in front of schools.

The fact that its an unprovoked attack on an innocent solider might make it a story.

What an incredibly vile thing to say.

Unprovoked attacks/murders happen every single day.

One person dying in albeit rare circumstances in a foreign parliament is not worthy of the media coverage it has received on this side of the pond. Does anyone think why the media might be going heavy on this story?

The possible motive behind the attack makes the story very relevant across the Atlantic IMO. If it is motivated by Islamism as is expected, the UK or France could be next if security is not increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Well, this type of has never happened in Canada before. If, indeed, you think there is nothing to see here, then, please, feel free to move along.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

...up until now.

Yep....arm everyone now.

How's that program to have janitors pack Glocks as they mop the floors in the wake of Columbine, Sandy Hook, Georgia Tech, <enter nutcase scene here> ?

Just need some clown take a few shots at the ducks in the park and then you'll be wanting Bearcats and drones hovering over the sandbox at the petting zoo.

So glad I live in the free world....where sanity prevails.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    The possible motive behind the attack makes the story very relevant across the Atlantic IMO. If it is motivated by Islamism as is expected, the UK or France could be next if security is not increased.

Motivated by Islamism?

What an ignorant comment.

Well, this type of has never happened in Canada before. If, indeed, you think there is nothing to see here, then, please, feel free to move along.

Debating the media coverage is relevant. I am stunned at the extent of the coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

One person dying in albeit rare circumstances in a foreign parliament is not worthy of the media coverage it has received on this side of the pond. Does anyone know why the media might be going heavy on this story?

Just to annoy you enough to post rubbish for fake internet points.

Motivated by Islamism?

Islamism and Islam are 2 entirely different things FYI
    Don't try to twist my words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Unprovoked attacks/murders happen every single day.

And in this fashion as well? Through government buildings?

The position you are trying to defend here is futile, at least realize your original comment on this was idiotic, and possibly learn from that.

• Advertisement

Bit rich, considering your post minutes earlier.

Haven't heard of anyone shot dead inside the dail (yet), haven't heard of any Irish military personnel being shot dead either here, For you to be thinking and saying that this just another : murder: is either you being totally ignorant of the bigger picture or you being just obtuse.

And in this fashion as well? Through government buildings?

The position you are trying to defend here is futile, at least realize your original comment on this was idiotic, and possibly learn from that.

The extent of the media coverage on this side of the Atlantic is excessive for a murder. The media pray on fear and seek to hike up the threat of ISIS while ignoring the tens of thousands killed by US bombs in the last 15 years.

Most of the mass shooters actually turn out to be mentally ill.

I wish people would see the wider point, rather than reacting to one single event that gets the headlines because it happened in a Western country and most likely to be a white person.

Islamism and Islam are 2 entirely different things FYI
    Don't try to twist my words

What is Islamism? In the context in which you wrote it, it is completely ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

The extent of the media coverage on this side of the Atlantic is excessive for a murder. The media pray on fear and seek to hike up the threat of ISIS while ignoring the tens of thousands killed by US bombs in the last 15 years.

I wish people would see the wider point, rather than reacting to one single event that gets the headlines because it happened in a Western country and most likely to a white person.

Are you mental? You're post is such a hodgepodge of crazy, I don't know where to start with it

• Advertisement

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Are you mental? You're post is such a hodgepodge of crazy, I don't know where to start with it

Start away. Asking someone are you mental is just a way of not being able to debate, so resort to name calling.

What is Islamism? In the context in which you wrote it, it is completely ignorant.

Militant Islamism then, maybe I should have included that first word to point it out to you.

2 soldiers were attacked already this week near Montreal and one was killed, the killer was a radicalized convert to Islam.

That's 2 dead soldiers in 2 attacks on home soil in less than a week.
    More than a "non-story" that's for sure

Militant Islamism then, maybe I should have included that first word to point it out to you.

2 soldiers were attacked already this week near Montreal and one was killed, the killer was a radicalized convert to Islam.

That's 2 dead soldiers in 2 attacks on home soil in less than a week.
    More than a "non-story" that's for sure

What is militant Islamism?

Is there militant Protestants? Militant Catholics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I wish people would see the wider point, rather than reacting to one single event that gets the headlines because it happened in a Western country and most likely to be a white person.

They tried to shoot up the Canadian Parliament.

What would you call IS then?
    Are they not militant Islamists?

You started of here saying this was a non story, but really you just want to start some sort of debate on Islam and how why people might be jumping to conclusions in connecting the murders/killings to militant Islam ?

You still think this is a non story ?

What would you call IS then?
    Are they not militant Islamists?

You are the one that used the term. It's up to you explain what you meant. No one has any idea what you meant by motivated by Islamism. Have you been watching too much Fox?

You started of here saying this was a non story, but really you just want to start some sort of debate on Islam and how why people might be jumping to conclusions in connecting the murders/killings to militant Islam ?

You still think this is a non story ?

No, I'm reacting to a comment that today's murder was "motivated by Islamism".

Totally ignorant.

Totally ignorant.

The shooter was a Muslim convert. Join the dots.

You are the one that used the term. It's up to you explain what you meant. No one has any idea what you meant by motivated by Islamism. Have you been watching too much Fox?

You are the only one that seems to have no idea.
    Nobody here agrees with you.

• Advertisement

Totally ignorant.

You don't know the name of the suspect in this shooting, by any chance?

Time to start eating the goo yet?

Nodin wrote: »
    They tried to shoot up the Canadian Parliament.

It's "they" now?

One shooter reported.

Bet most people here had no idea what the Canadian capital was, let alone about the parliament.

It's "they" now?

One shooter reported.

Bet most people here had no idea what the Canadian capital was, let alone about the parliament.

Ah your just being silly now, can't help it I suppose

You are the only one that seems to have no idea.
    Nobody here agrees with you.

Pointless.

Unable to back up your points. Pointless.

Pointless.

Unable to back up your points. Pointless.

Do you understand why nobody agrees with you?
    It should be obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Finally someone snapped and started killing politicians.

There won't be much of an outcry over this one.

Take note, TDs.

rather pathetic post even by AH standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's "they" now?

One shooter reported.

What is the precise nature of your problem? It really is hard to see what you're complaining about?

What is the precise nature of your problem? It really is hard to see what you're complaining about?

Reread my posts.

• Advertisement

Reread my posts.

We will, if you give us the encryption key

Do you understand why nobody agrees with you?
    It should be obvious

You are unable to back up your points. So there's an issue with them.

The problem for senior hotmail is that he can't see the Forrest because of the trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

...up until now.

With that logic, everybody should be armed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

To be honest, you wouldn't expect this sort of thing in Canada

You are unable to back up your points. So there's an issue with them.

Not obvious to you it seems

• Advertisement

In a nut shell, the media's reaction to these types of events, the fear it subsequently causes and the extreme contrast to the treatment of the killing of people by US and British forces in the Middle East which numbers into the hundreds of thousands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Reread my posts.

I get what you are saying (I think) in relation to media covering of mass shooting- especially surrounding High Schools. Experts agree that there should be minimal coverage, and that coverage focusing on the victims not the killer..

..but surely you understand a shooting in a parliament building is a massive deal and deserves attention

In a nut shell, the media's reaction to these types of events, the fear it subsequently causes and the extreme contrast to the treatment of the killing of people by US and British forces in the Middle East which numbers into the hundreds of thousands.

So you still think it's a non story ?

wprathead wrote: »
    I get what you are saying (I think) in relation to media covering of mass shooting- especially surrounding High Schools. Experts agree that there should be minimal coverage, and that coverage focusing on the victims not the killer..

..but surely you understand a shooting in a parliament building is a massive deal and deserves attention

Attention yes, but not the attention it's receiving on the broadcast news programmes and news websites. I don't believe it is worthy of being the top story for example.

I generally think the coverage of American mass shootings on this side of the Atlantic is ridiculous.

Attention yes, but not the attention it's receiving on the broadcast news programmes and news websites. I don't believe it is worthy of being the top story for example.

I generally think the coverage of American mass shootings on this side of the Atlantic is ridiculous.

Canada

• Advertisement
Advertisement