Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get mad at Americanisation.

Options
  • 22-10-2014 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Perhaps you use American "English" on your P.C. While visiting UCD some time ago I saw spelling errors on the student bulletin boards. I contacted the Web Master to point out these. I got self-righteous condescending tripe as a reply from someone who obviously could not spell English much less use it or else hadn't bothered to read what I said. On checking the English dictionary (Microsoft) I found that the spelling was correct in the singular and the present tense, but plurals and different tenses were incorrectly spelt. ((my dictionary - English (Ireland) does not recognise spelt!! nor does it recognise "recognise"))))
    These were also wrong in the standard UK English dictionary.
    My dictionary is also very annoying. Common Irish names (Place, Surname and Christian) are missing. Many examples of rare unexceptional English and American names can be found. Many common Hiberno-Irish terms are not present. We have lost our native language. Do we have to lose our cultural terminology.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

finnfinn wrote: »
    Perhaps you use American "English" on your P.C. While visiting UCD some time ago I saw spelling errors on the student bulletin boards. I contacted the Web Master to point out these. I got self-righteous condescending tripe as a reply from someone who obviously could not spell English much less use it or else hadn't bothered to read what I said. On checking the English dictionary (Microsoft) I found that the spelling was correct in the singular and the present tense, but plurals and different tenses were incorrectly spelt. ((my dictionary - English (Ireland) does not recognise spelt!! nor does it recognise "recognise"))))
    These were also wrong in the standard UK English dictionary.
    My dictionary is also very annoying. Common Irish names (Place, Surname and Christian) are missing. Many examples of rare unexceptional English and American names can be found. Many common Hiberno-Irish terms are not present. We have lost our native language. Do we have to lose our cultural terminology.

American influence has been mixed, but then so has the influence of the ex-Russian SFSR on other ex-Soviet republics. That said, Ukrainian (> 20 million native speakers in Ukraine alone) has more native speakers than all Celtic languages put together. I would call Western Ukraine that country's equivalent to the Gaeltacht, given how prominently Ukrainian is spoken in that part of the country (vs Russian pretty much everywhere else in the same country). Perhaps the Irish government can take a cue from its Ukrainian counterpart on how to revive a locally-named language.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Re: Do you get mad at Americanisation.

No. I used to but I've gotten over it.

Advertisement