Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat language for dummies

• 22-10-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

A small bundle of feline fur has taken over my life :D
    This kitten (think its female) is a complete nutter and a joy!
    Maybe some of you cat people can tell me what it means when:

1. She strokes my face (gently) with her paw :)
    2. Tail bolt upright (when wandering around the room)
    3. Purring - does it always mean 'happiness' - or does it have other meanings?
    4. Tail down and drooping - e.g. when she hears something outside the room
    5. How do u know when a kitten is tired (from playing) - since they dont do anything obvious or convenient like a dog panting!
    6. Quick swishing of her tail from side to side?
    7. Silent miaowing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

1. Affection - she loves you!
    2. Tail up means a cat is friendly and content
    3. Purring usually means happiness, but cats have also been known to purr in stressful/frightening times to calm themselves down. But most often it's the former.
    4. Tail down and dropping means "on guard," "what was that!?"
    5. Cats DO pant, but before that they'll lie down when they need a break from playing, usually on their side. Sometimes it's just a quick break!
    6. Swishing of the tail from side to side can mean annoyance or that they're "ready to pounce," and play fight.
    7. A silent miaow isn't really silent, it's just done at a range we humans can't hear. She'll catch on eventually and start miaowing so you can hear. One of my kitties did this as a kitten a lot.

Also, keep an eye on her ears - cat body language revolves largely around the position of the tail and ears. Enjoy your new furbaby!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Careful of the tail swishing! Usually means you gonna end up with scratches all over your hands :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Rather then me pratting I'll give you an expert directly :)

And of course you need to talk back as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

More ignorant-of-cats questions:

1. How do you 'tell' a cat its behaviour isnt allowed - e.g. not climbing up the curtains or whatever - a loud no to a puppy works - whatcha do for a kitten??

2. Does a cat 'learn' its name?!?

someone told me; you can call a dog and it comes, but you call a cat, and it gets back to you :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

aonb wrote: »
    More ignorant-of-cats questions:

1. How do you 'tell' a cat its behaviour isnt allowed - e.g. not climbing up the curtains or whatever - a loud no to a puppy works - whatcha do for a kitten??
    Remove the curtains or make sure kitty is exhausted and distracted with other things.

2. Does a cat 'learn' its name?!?

someone told me; you can call a dog and it comes, but you call a cat, and it gets back to you :p
    It can learn it's name; two of our cats will react to their name being called out and talk back; three others could not give a damn (but if you go into the kitchen they'll be coming running!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Be glad the cat has not gone through the phase of leaving mice on one's pillow.
    Unsure if it is a threat or treat. Either way it is a definite wake-up mechanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think it's all been covered:) Poppy sometimes strokes my face with her paw, it's adorable. The 3 boys rarely do it, but are very affectionate as well. They all respond to their names and I read somewhere that cats respond best to names that have an 'E' sound at the end, like Poppy. I've never understood where people get the idea that cats are cold and stand offish, I've always found them to be very loving, affectionate and empathic, once you've gained their trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Manach wrote: »
    Be glad the cat has not gone through the phase of leaving mice on one's pillow.
    Unsure if it is a threat or treat. Either way it is a definite wake-up mechanism.

or big rats on the car hood...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Or a beheaded bunny on the garden table...

Head was on one of the chairs.
    Really disgusting part was when small dog joined in dismembering and devouring said bunny.
    Everyone got a good worming the next day!

Your kitten sounds happy and normal for its age, did it start chirruping at you yet?

All of ours do, either when they want something or sometimes when we open a door or window to let them in or out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

we live in the country, and are a terrier house, so bits of bunnies are an everyday occurence - ditto rats :eek:
    Cant believe how this kitten has become so loving and tame and happy in so short a time. I am seriously besotted with it :D Just need to get my rabid terrier on board now and we're sorted. (Have started the process VERY slowly - not going great so far, but its early days)
    Look forward to hearing a Chirrup - but since its only found its miaow-voice in the last 2 days...it used to do silent miaows! It Miaows at me now when I come in to the room to get it out of its crate :) but it also miaows very sadly when I put it back in the crate :(
    Took some photos today; will put them up to show you why Im besotted :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement