Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hatred (Videogame)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Twitch have supposedly banned streaming of this game.

I don't like that very much. Not because of free speech or anything, as far as I'm concerned you can take whatever you want to off a site that you own without any accountability, just because I feel like that's going to make it seem cooler to the kind of people who think playing Hatred makes them really rebellious and edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Looking at the total biscuit video the game just seems embarrassing and like the old mortal kombat games once you get over the violence there's not a whole lot to keep you playing and it's a bit crap underneath it all. It's more bland than controversial.

Screw that, MK games were (and in some way still are) awesome. I found them more creepy than gory early on, too. Back then it was just some blood splatters and the fatalities were hidden. Now it's all in your face.

Anyway Hatred doesn't seem worth the money. Might pick it ages later when it's cheap as chips or in a decent bundle. Probably be funny when people mod out the player character into politicial figures, celebrities etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I wish the dev all the best.

While one should not begrudge success, regardless of the artistic vacuousness or transparent commercial motivations behind a project, it's a shame - albeit of the obvious, futile type of shame - a game like Hatred will inevitably receive more coverage and financial success than many of the genuinely interesting independent games out there. The internet has only seemingly encouraged the popularity and visibility of 'stunt' shock media - capably illustrated by the recent release of a third Human Centipede film (currently enjoying an almost unheard of score of '1' on Metacritic). If anything, there's an audience out there thirstier for empty provocation than ever before, quality be damned.

Oh well. Anybody played Sunset yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I think Total Biscuit's vid has confirmed what I assumed was gonna be the case, it'd be a mediocre game sold on controversy. You know when you're playing Skyrim (or similar game) and you save your game and murder everyone in Whiterun for ****s and giggles, then reload your game and continue on? It's like they thought that 5 minute murder spree would be fun if they built an entire game around that kinda thing. I still want to play it though, it does actually look kinda fun what with all the destructable buildings and everything but I'll probably wait until it's going for peanuts in a Steam sale or some bundle somewhere down the line.

Something about the video that annoyed me is the commentary on the controversy itself, are we pretending that it's merely about violence, and not because the devs are allegedly neo-nazis, did we all forget that part?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Links234 wrote: »
    [...]

Something about the video that annoyed me is the commentary on the controversy itself, are we pretending that it's merely about violence, and not because the devs are allegedly neo-nazis, did we all forget that part?
    That's a bold claim; care to provide any proof?

• Advertisement

That's a bold claim; care to provide any proof?

It's been mentioned in this thread right near the start, this was the big controversy surrounding the game in the first place, but ok. The CEO of Destructive Creations had 'liked' the Polish Defense League on facebook, when this came to light he didn't deny it but said he wasn't a supporting, he just liked them for the news. It was a bull**** excuse in my opinion, saying he doesn't support neo-nazis, just likes to get his news from them. http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/20/7020277/ceo-behind-hatred-neo-nazi-anti-islamic-responds

I'm just surprised folks seem to have forgotten the initial controversy over the game. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Game looks awful, i dont mind my pixelated violence but i do like having a point to it.

While one should not begrudge success, regardless of the artistic vacuousness or transparent commercial motivations behind a project, it's a shame - albeit of the obvious, futile type of shame - a game like Hatred will inevitably receive more coverage and financial success than many of the genuinely interesting independent games out there. The internet has only seemingly encouraged the popularity and visibility of 'stunt' shock media - capably illustrated by the recent release of a third Human Centipede film (currently enjoying an almost unheard of score of '1' on Metacritic). If anything, there's an audience out there thirstier for empty provocation than ever before, quality be damned.

Human Centipede is a perfect example in this case along with a few other movies / games I really do question what these guys could come up with if they set aside the for the sake of it shock and provocation and created a Silent Hill or Resident Evil etc with their warped minds? !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'm not sure whether the general internet outrage factories are too dumb to realise that covering some horrible new game they want everyone to gasp and swoon at drives the game sales up by several orders of magnitude or if they just don't care and want to get the clicks. Most of the people online who will claim to pre-order Hatred and defend it with a passion would probably never have given it a glance if Kotaku, Polygon and the rest had never mentioned it in the first place. The fact that it's making somebody out there mad is an enormous part of its appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Seen the game play for a while don't see the big deal it's no worse then any other shooter these days.

I can see it getting boring fast though as all u do is kill doesn't seem to be any other aim

• Advertisement

It's been mentioned in this thread right near the start, this was the big controversy surrounding the game in the first place, but ok. The CEO of Destructive Creations had 'liked' the Polish Defense League on facebook, when this came to light he didn't deny it but said he wasn't a supporting, he just liked them for the news. It was a bull**** excuse in my opinion, saying he doesn't support neo-nazis, just likes to get his news from them. http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/20/7020277/ceo-behind-hatred-neo-nazi-anti-islamic-responds

I'm just surprised folks seem to have forgotten the initial controversy over the game. :confused:
    Grand.

Don't really trust Polygon either, though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's by a small indie team from Poland, and its (IMO undeserved) AO rating & digital release classify it as non-mainstream.

Incidentally, it is only the second released game after Manhunt 2 to receive an AO.

I wish the dev all the best.
    Not gonna play it though, looks boring.
    Mainstream in the sense that it's not an *ahem* "adult" game. I was going by this list so there could be other exceptions I'm not aware of.

I'm curious as to why you don't think it deserves it's AO rating though? According to the ESRB, an AO rating is for titles suitable for 18+ and over with the distinction between it and the 17+ Mature rating being the former title contains stronger sexual themes and content, graphic nudity, or extreme portrayals of violence than the lower rating can accommodate.

Judging from the trailer at least, that seems to be rather bang on based on the last point, no? That being said, if they had cut the executions I'd probably see some argument that it could keep a Mature rating. Either way, in terms of a European release I imagine it'd just get (and imo deserve) an 18 rating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Screw that, MK games were (and in some way still are) awesome. I found them more creepy than gory early on, too. Back then it was just some blood splatters and the fatalities were hidden. Now it's all in your face.

Ah now, I loved the MK games when I was younger but in retrospect they were some of the worst beat em ups in the arcades especially in comparison to the classics Capcom and SNK were producing. It really did just sell itself on the violence and while mk2 and 3 weren't terrible the first game is God awful. At least the gore in those games was always knowingly tongue in cheek and I feel the latest ones take it a bit too far sometimes, which is a shame since I feel that for the first time mortal kombat was genuinely great with MK9.

gizmo wrote: »
    Mainstream in the sense that it's not an *ahem* "adult" game. I was going by this list so there could be other exceptions I'm not aware of.

I'm curious as to why you don't think it deserves it's AO rating though? According to the ESRB, an AO rating is for titles suitable for 18+ and over with the distinction between it and the 17+ Mature rating being the former title contains stronger sexual themes and content, graphic nudity, or extreme portrayals of violence than the lower rating can accommodate.

Judging from the trailer at least, that seems to be rather bang on based on the last point, no? That being said, if they had cut the executions I'd probably see some argument that it could keep a Mature rating. Either way, in terms of a European release I imagine it'd just get (and imo deserve) an 18 rating.

Watch the Total Biscuit playthrough.
    Those executions are as tame as any I've seen in AAA 3rd-person shooters, and the AI is so laughably cartoony that I couldn't take it seriously.

If you replaced all the human victims with faceless robots/zombies, you'd see it for the simplistic shooter it is.

I'd give it a 15 rating tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you replaced all the human victims with faceless robots/zombies, you'd see it for the simplistic shooter it is.

If you replaced all the human victims with faceless robots/zombies, you'd also be left with a fundamentally different game in terms of tone, context, aesthetics and themes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

I'm not seeing the big deal with this game. The TB video was just showing exactly what I expected. It just took one thing that anyone who's played Skyrim or GTA has done and tried to make a game around it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not seeing the big deal with this game. The TB video was just showing exactly what I expected. It just took one thing that anyone who's played Skyrim or GTA has done and tried to make a game around it.

Again it's context and tone. You can do that in GTA and skyrim because of the nature of the open world. Also GTA is very tongue in cheek about it while in Skyrim doing so actively punishes the player. In hatred the it makes it the sole goal of the game.

Put an hour or so into this earlier and really finding it difficult to understand the lever of vitriol this has inspired. If there's anything to be offended by it's the complete lack of variety on offer, level after level is just the same tired formula repeated over and over again. All you do is run around and kill people which isn't all that exciting given that everyone looks the same. I read a comment earlier that the game glorifies violence but it#s really rather tame, the executions aren't as visceral as those found in last decades Punisher game and the killing of innocents has no real impact given that we know nothing about them. Great games can make the death of characters a genuinely moving experience, but here each victim is a faceless nobody and as such you may as well be shooting targets.

The only thing that impressed me so far is the visual style and the destruction psychics, there's a glimmer of a great game in the presentation but the Daily Mail bating storyline really takes away from everything else. You get the impression that when the developers grow up a little and tackle an adult game then they may pull of something of a surprise.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also GTA is very tongue in cheek about it

In GTA both shooting people and knocking them over with cars looks quite realistic at this point with the physics... much more than Hatred imo.

Hatred's dialogue (was watching a friend stream on steam) is so bad that it's funnier than GTA's in a way. He sounds exactly like Duke Nukem except reading an emo's poem. Again, I hope to see mods where you can play as political figures and replace all the victims with whatever. There's going to be a lot of rage when all the victims are only women, black, or anything other than white males (because white males are free to kill in the billions as we all know :pac:) Good times ahead if such mods come out to put the extra squeeze on anyone dumb enough to actually get triggered by this game because of "muh context".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,896 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

In GTA both shooting people and knocking them over with cars looks quite realistic at this point with the physics... much more than Hatred imo.

Its an interesting one. 'More realistic' doesn't necessarily mean 'more offensive'.

Have a go of the arcade game Chiller. The content in that is far more bad taste than GTA or hatred..and its an 8 bit game from 1985.

However, saying that, I don't get the outrage that always pops up with these games and find it extremely tiring. All media has 'video nasties', why should videogames be any different?

• Advertisement

I'll check that game out thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

If anyone has played Prototype then I think this would be more harrowing an experience as you are supposed to be at least at the heart of the game an anti-hero but in that you have to kill people to take on their identity to sneak into places.
    Later on as you grow more powerful to take on the bigger monsters you need to heal by absorbing the 'zombies' but a lot of the time you end up just grabbing a human as your health is dangerously low and need for survival kicks in forcing you put your life over theirs.

o1s1n wrote: »
    All media has 'video nasties', why should videogames be any different?

Because we've already had our video nasties era what with Doom being blamed for Columbine, Jack Thompson at the height of his 'murder simulators' moral panic. I see this more as poking that old moral panic with a stick, because oh look it's a trenchcoat wearing spree killer in a murder simulator, couldn't be more controversy baiting if it tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,896 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Because we've already had our video nasties era what with Doom being blamed for Columbine, Jack Thompson at the height of his 'murder simulators' moral panic. I see this more as poking that old moral panic with a stick, because oh look it's a trenchcoat wearing spree killer in a murder simulator, couldn't be more controversy baiting if it tried.

My point though being that video nasties never go away in any medium. Therefore I don't see why we all seem to think that videogames should (and can) be any different.

A rolleyes and a sigh as to how childish this type of thing is would be the optimum way of dealing with it. However, folks continue to allow themselves to be baited into a frenzy which is exactly what the devs are hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I wonder would it be difficult to turn the protagonist into Tommy Wiseau

"Oh Hai Tomm-BANGBANG"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just seeing Uwe Boll back in the press whinging about not getting crowd funding for his latest atrocity made me realise that Hatred is a reverse Uwe. He makes awful films based on videogames, Hatred is an awful videogame based on an Uwe Boll film.

Advertisement